7 Posts

Smash Up: The Obligatory Cthulhu Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: In Plain Sight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Cook
msg tools
mbmb
The text on the Innsmouth card In Plain Sight reads "Play on a base. Your minions here of power 2 or less are not affected by opponent's cards."

Note the lack of the word Ongoing, or of a clear definition of when the card stops working. I'm taking this to mean that like other Actions, this one uses its ability, then goes right to the discard, probably at the end of your turn. So is this a temporary reprieve from any Ongoing abilities affecting your minions, or am I misinterpreting this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, with this expansion it's impossible to tell.

AEG appear not to be interested in commenting on interpretation issues, and the descriptions appears to be less rigorous than in previous editions. I have a niggly feeling that this game may be reaching the end of the road.

Still, it's a fun enough expansion, but the basic rule here seems to be go with your gut.

In this case, my gut would suggest any 'play on a base' action is ongoing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am practically certain that this card is supposed to say "Ongoing", but it was mistakenly left out. Every other action that says "Play on a base" is Ongoing, except for the few that are Talents.

The same goes for Altar to Cthulhu and Complete the Ritual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tamayo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the card is fine.. for e.g.

If I have played Leprechaun and you have In Plain Sight in your hand then you can play your minions with power 2 or less safely in that base..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tamayo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
I am practically certain that this card is supposed to say "Ongoing", but it was mistakenly left out. Every other action that says "Play on a base" is Ongoing, except for the few that are Talents.

The same goes for Altar to Cthulhu and Complete the Ritual.

and for the Altar to Cthulhu and Complete the Ritual, I think they are fine too.. for e.g.

for Altar to Cthulhu, I think you can safely say that you can play extra action that turn. with extra condition: "play on a base." coz some [or 1, coz I'm not sure] base have this effect: "You can't play actions on this base."

for Complete the Ritual, "At the start of your turn, place all minions and actions on the..." I think it's fine too, you can safely say [again] that this card is like a "pending" action like one of the Trickster's action card "The player can't play action card during his/her next turn." [if I'm right, paraphrasing].

But as I always said, opinions are still opinions before the developers says that it's official.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Just got myself the expansion, and looking through the cards now. I stumpled upon those actions with "Talents" that says "play on a base"
I expect that those would be Ongoing, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulff92 wrote:
Just got myself the expansion, and looking through the cards now. I stumpled upon those actions with "Talents" that says "play on a base"
I expect that those would be Ongoing, right?

No, those are two different types of abilities. See pp. 10-11 for their definitions. They are similar in that they stay on the card until explicitly booted off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.