Subject: Mono-spirit Hobbit Deck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Winter
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the addition of Fatty Bolger in Black Riders, it's now possible to run a deck with three Spirit Hobbit heroes. All of them can boost your threat to do something useful - make quest progress, soak damage, or return enemies to the staging area. This suggests a deck that seeks to reduce threat as much as possible, and use those Hobbit Pipes to keep drawing cards. Below is a draft of such a deck:

Heroes:

Frodo Baggins (7)
Fatty Bolger (7)
Pippin (6)
Starting threat: 20

Allies:

2x Arwen Undomiel
2x Damrod
3x Northern Tracker
3x Gandalf (Core)
3x Pelargir Shipwright
3x White Tower Watchman

Attachments:

2x Map of Earnil
3x Resourceful
3x Hobbit Pipe
2x Unexpected Courage

Events:

3x The Galadhrim's Greeting
3x A Test of Will
2x Elrond's Counsel
2x Out of Sight
2x Hasty Stroke
3x Hobbit-Sense
2x Small Target
2x O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
3x Smoke Rings
2x Will of the West

Obviously, this has some glaring weaknesses - in any Battle or Siege quest, it doesn't stand a chance, and in many of the combat-oriented quests it couldn't do much more than handle questing while a Tactics deck dealt with the fighting. But is there a place for this deck? What suggestions do you have that might improve this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy these kind of decks that have weaknesses filled by your teammate. It's really only a problem if you don't somehow coordinate decks to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Jennings
United States
El Cerrito
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been making a deck like this myself, and it looks a lot like what you put together!

One change I'd suggest would be to use Dwarven Tomb instead of Map of Earnil. Map of Earnil doesn't work with any response events, and you can't play it if you somehow draw it late in the turn. The books for the other spheres are amazing, but dwarven tomb really outclasses Map of Earnil for spirit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.