Subject: Is 2p a valid option with the main board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Hunt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I love this game, but usually I can only play 2p games. I will look into the sitting duck board, but in the meantime, what are my viable options?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Fuentes
United States
Hialeah Gardens
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
90% of my plays are 2 player and it works very well. I've had no issues and the game is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Fremen wrote:
90% of my plays are 2 player and it works very well. I've had no issues and the game is a lot of fun.

Agreed. There's no need for a special board; just stick with the two-player rules in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discussed quite a bit in the forums (do a search for "2 | two" by subject). Some good pros/cons, so poke around a bit.

It's a fair amount of overhead playing the androids, especially if you're not fully confident with the rules. It can work, but you should factor that extra "layer" in before buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you get comfortable with the game, having an extra android per player is not an issue.

I've played over a hundred missions two player. It works just fine.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 1-player, 2-player and 3-player games so far. 2-player is definitely the weakest player count out of those. You have the disadvantage of essentially having to play 2 characters each without the advantage from the solo game of having access to the whole deck. I've run into a few situations where the actions we needed to accomplish just weren't available in the cards (although better use of Heroic Actions might have helped there).

That said, it's a great game at any player count. I love the idea of the Little Duckling board, but I don't like the mental calculations you need to do adjusting the power and speed of the threats on top of a game that already includes lots of mental gymnastics. I would agree with other players to try the real game with 2 and see how you like it before trying the fan variant. It's not optimal, but it's like comparing a really premium scoop of ice cream in a cup versus a cone. Sure, the cone is better, but it's damn good ice cream either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
I have played 1-player, 2-player and 3-player games so far. 2-player is definitely the weakest player count out of those. You have the disadvantage of essentially having to play 2 characters each without the advantage from the solo game of having access to the whole deck. I've run into a few situations where the actions we needed to accomplish just weren't available in the cards (although better use of Heroic Actions might have helped there).

And all of that is precisely why I like 2-player Space Alert so much! It is sooo much harder to win! Five player Space Alert is my least favourite, since if every one is an experienced player, it's pretty hard to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:

Are you giving yourself more cards than in the 3-5 set ups? I've noticed it to be any better or worse with two players. You often have someone unable to press a Button, no matter what the player count.

Also remember that anyone can play cards onto an android's board, and that it is face up.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
kittenhoarder wrote:

Are you giving yourself more cards than in the 3-5 set ups? I've noticed it to be any better or worse with two players. You often have someone unable to press a Button, no matter what the player count.

Also remember that anyone can play cards onto an android's board, and that it is face up.

Cameron

Yep, I play by the rules. I know you get a few more cards, but it's not that many more; in fact, I think you have fewer cards overall than in a 4-player game in addition to having to control two boards. Then again, my favorite way to play is solo, so maybe I'm just missing that extra bit of control. It is a fun game either way, but I simply had more fun with 3 and 1 than with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.