Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tanis can't move into Loki's space when using Valiant Style, but can her opponent move her into Loki's space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Amaranth wrote:
Tanis can't move into Loki's space when using Valiant Style, but can her opponent move her into Loki's space?

Valiant prevents players from moving into that space--including being moved into that space by others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A follow up question related to Tanis' styles: Are markers considered "opponents"? I assume not, just want to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitko Simidchiev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
Check out our Bulgarian board games site BigBoxGamers.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
Amaranth wrote:

Valiant prevents players from moving into that space--including being moved into that space by others.

So we can take this as the final ruling on that tricky issue of whether "can't move" includes "can't be moved?" So basically any effect that prevents the opponent from moving also prevents you from moving him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
alexmitko wrote:
Kyokai wrote:
Amaranth wrote:

So we can take this as the final ruling on that tricky issue of whether "can't move" includes "can't be moved?" So basically any effect that prevents the opponent from moving also prevents you from moving him?
I'm under the impression that Valiant is a special case here instead of the norm. I believe that most of the restrictions are intended to be a downside (Joal's Dual Wield). If they applied to your enemy (when moving you) as well that aspect would be diminished.
An universal ruling would be most welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
The universal rule is that "Can't" or "restrictive" effects should always beat "do" or "permission" effects.

This is the same reason why Stun Immunity beats "stun the opponent" effects.
Stun Immunity = "you can't be stunned"
vs.
Auto-Stun = "do stun the opponent"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
This does not answer if "move" always includes "be moved" as well (which is the core of the issue).

With Kaitlyn's UA we seems to have a case where "is moving" is supposed to stand in for "move yourself" and "be moved".
There are many other effects where it is not clear if they only apply to "move yourself" or to "be moved" as well.

The first and most important ever recurring example would be: "Opponents cannot move [past you]".
I believe that in this case "move" does not include "be moved".

Another situation where I believe that "move" stands in for "be moved" as well: Malandrax's Alarm Trap - "Trigger: When an opponent moves adjacent to you."
I believe that the Alarm trap gets triggered even if Malandrax is the one moving the opponent adjacent to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Phyr wrote:
This does not answer if "move" always includes "be moved" as well (which is the core of the issue).

With Kaitlyn's UA we seems to have a case where "is moving" is supposed to stand in for "move yourself" and "be moved".
There are many other effects where it is not clear if they only apply to "move yourself" or to "be moved" as well.

The first and most important ever recurring example would be: "Opponents cannot move [past you]".

I think move should mean both 'you move' and 'you are moved'. If opponents can't move past you, then that should be by any effect, not just by their own effects.

Let's go ahead and say universally that 'move' means "by any means". I don't think this will interfere with anything too much one way or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
So subsequently if Seth moves the opponent with Mimic's Grasp he still maintains range.
And Khadath would not be able to pull characters through his Gate Trap without them getting stopped on the trap.

I think it could be an issue if an effect would only apply if a character moves but not when he is moved (as in the intended use of Khadath's Gate Trap).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyokai wrote:
Phyr wrote:

Let's go ahead and say universally that 'move' means "by any means". I don't think this will interfere with anything too much one way or another.

That sounds like a plan to me. I can't think of any situation where that would create an issue but it may throw off some balance. Time will tell, I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Khadath's is the only exception, and that would be easy to put on his card in the War Reprint. Are there any others that come to mind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
I have made a huge list on the playtest forums (Devastation->Compiled FAQ) with all cards that could be affected (I was always under the impression that move was a one sided thing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.