Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, there been lot of talk about game being too easy solo because of infinity time and stuff. And then, people got kinda demoralized in multiplayer games, because, sorta, in 6 player game theoretically each player gets 5 turns, while in single player game one player gets 30 and etc. Long story short, I have designed this little variant to make timer system somewhat more deep.

Long story short, here is what I came up with:

Blessing deck size is now dynamic: 22+(4*Players)-AdvantureDeckNumber

1=26
2=30
3=34
4=38
5=42
6=46

And a few new rules to compensate for overall increased blessing deck size:

1)Whenever you attempt to close a location with still remaining cards in it's location deck, discard top card of blessing deck. Yes, including temoprary closure.

2)Whenever you encounter the villian, discard top card of the blessing deck.

3)Whenever you defeat the villian, shuffle 1d4 bottom cards from the blessing discard pile back into the blessing deck.

NOTE: You can only lose due to timer if you can't discard a blessing card at the start of your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Scaling the timer deck for number of players makes sense. I don't know why you are making those other changes. How did you come up with your equation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rough amount of pure player(/explores) turns per game compared to estimate explores needed to finish the game. And stuff. Reducing blessing deck for single player and increasing it for multiplayer seemed most right thing to do.

Other changes were made to ensure increased blessing deck does not gives too much advantage compared to vanilla blessing deck syze. I could go into details, but who needs this, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Having background information helps a lot actually:
1. How much work/thought has the OP put into a variant?
2. What sort of balance are they aiming for?
3. What was accounted for in the variant? what was not?

I've done some work characterizing how often the party needs to explore assuming they always close locations and always defeat monsters. At different confidence levels there is a different linear scaling. For example, if the party is supposed to win 50% of the time then you need to scale the game by a different amount than if they are supposed to win 90% of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me go into some details for my other changes then:

1)Whenever you attempt to close a location with still remaining cards in it's location deck, discard top card of blessing deck. Yes, including temoprary closure.

Why? Because with this variant there be much more overall turns everywhere except for 1 and 2 player games, which still have plenty to win. And if you're closing location before it decks completely runs out - you're saving yourself hella lot of time, usually, so trying to close it early should be a bit more risky. As for tempotal closure - you're limiting ways for him to escape, +prbability of killing him, shouldn't come cheap.

Whenever you encounter a Villian, you get the best chance in the game to instantly close a location you're at, hence the discarding mechanism.

Shuffling 1d4 bottom blessing cards into the blessing deck is a little reward for how defeating the villian, given how much risk you take fighting him and trying to close locations. Plus, when he escapes, every open location gets an additional card to explore, reducing the chances to find henchman or villian there.

As you see, time is basically longer, but you need to take risks which may and will reduce it. So now, you better make sure you close those Woods from the first tryzombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:

3)Whenever you defeat the villian, shuffle 1d4 bottom cards from the blessing discard pile back into the blessing deck.

...unless I'm misunderstanding something, once you've defeated the villain, the game is over, right? So perhaps this is intended to be henchmen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Jones
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Invictus5000 wrote:
TrueLolzor wrote:

...unless I'm misunderstanding something, once you've defeated the villain, the game is over, right? So perhaps this is intended to be henchmen?

If you defeat the villain and there are other locations to escape to, the game is not over. The discarding in this situation would likely apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Invictus5000 wrote:
Nope, defeating the villian means you've passed a check to defeat him. If there are open locations, he retreats into random one. If there are no open location - congrats, you win! The variant is for the time there are other open locations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:
Invictus5000 wrote:
Nope, defeating the villian means you've passed a check to defeat him. If there are open locations, he retreats into random one. If there are no open location - congrats, you win! The variant is for the time there are other open locations

Yes, of course, I am a dunderhead. Carry on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:
Blessing deck size is now dynamic: 22+(4*Players)-AdvantureDeckNumber

Assuming players are spreading out and pass all checks but do not use extra explores;

Players...win%
1...100%
2...95%
3...92%
4...90%
5...85%
6...80%

I don't know why you are using the Adventure deck number, I assume that you want the game to become harder as we get to later adventures. Having not seen the later adventures, this seems premature.

I think this is still pretty easy and doesn't quite scale properly (IMO). Given the above conditions, I think an 80% win rate is more appropriate. This gives the formula 14+(5*Players).

Calculations were done using Monte Carlo method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.