Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Spencer
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
I own the base game and have so for some time. I quite like the game and want to play it further I am just not looking to buy everything that has been and continue to be released for the game.

My desire here is to gather some thoughts and suggestions on, if I was to spend an additional 50-60 dollars on this game what would be my best approach going forward.

Should I:
Buy the first mirkwood cycle and call it a day.
Buy one or two of the big box expansions.
Or buy the offshoot Hobbit expansions.

What would give me the best options for building decks that can win at the third quest in the base game, provide me with some new mechanics for quests and overall best value for my buck.

Point of reference : The suggested 50-60 bucks should get be able to get me 2 big box expansions from the online retailers I use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation is always grabbing the Hobbit or Fellowship expansions off the bat. Hobbit were some of my favorite scenarios.

But going with Mirkwood is just as viable.

Buying the big box expansions is a bit deceptive because they're really meant more to introduce a cycle, rather than 100% stand on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am relatively new to the game. I opted for both the Mirkwood cycle and the Hobbit sets. They each have their place. If I want to play through the book, I use the Hobbit cards. For general play, I'll use Mirkwood.

For raw fun value, the Hobbit sets are best. For actually expanding your card selection to the core set, I'd go for Mirkwood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kryzch
United States
La Crosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would start with Mirkwood and progress through the content in order of release. Khazad Dum and the dwarrowdelf series is epic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wil
United Kingdom
South London
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have the LotR core set and Mirkwood which I obtained on ebay.

I'm thinking of getting Black Riders expansion (if I can get it in the UK), since its the start LotR story.

Is Black Riders a good set to buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Spencer
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the responses guys.
I think i will probably go with the Underhill,On the door step and now recently released Dark riders.

I'm sure there is more to come with this offshoot but It still seems a little less of a money sink then going with the main games big boxes and cycles.

I should have added in the original post, I mostly look to this game as a filler game for me and one playing partner not as a main attraction game where we spend a lot of time building decks. I know for some people this is their grail game and one they spend a lot of resources both fiscally and mentally into. I am not in that category. I'm just looking to add a little more adventure to the base game. A few more adventures with interesting mechanisms and a few more options for the little deck building we are looking to accomplish.

Thanks again for the responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one more consideration, you might wanna consider just grabbing Knizia's Lord of the Rings. It's about $25, and its cooperative and there's nothing else to buy nor is there deck construction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Knizia's Lord of the Rings, while fine, is a completely different, distinct game. The only thing it has in common with The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is theme. If you like Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and want more of that, then buying Knizia's Lord of the Rings will not satisfy you (although you will have gained a fun, challenging co-op in the process).

EDIT - Oh, and I don't have a lot of great advice in regards to the OP's question. I have the core set, the Mirkwood Cycle, and the Kazhad-Dum expansion and have had a lot of fun with those. I'm planning to work my way through the Dwarrowdelf cycle, although I may be enticed into the Hobbit expansions in the mean time.

If you like the game, I don't think you can go wrong picking any of it up. But it may be worth considering whether later releases have their difficulty gauged with having the cards from earlier releases available to you. That may or may not actually be the case, but I think I've read things that suggest it is. You might have a hard time if you completely skip the earlier releases. Your mileage may vary, of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. I agree. I was more just saying that if he's looking for a filler, cooperative, Lord of the Rings-themed game it might work better than a game which requires buying more stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly. Except that the OP didn't seem to be asking for advice on a filler, cooperative, Lord of the Rings-themed game. He said he already has and enjoys LotR:The Card Game and wants advice on how to expand it.

I own an original printing of Knizia's LotR along with two expansions. I very much enjoy the game (although I will say that it definitely does not qualify as a 'filler'; you're easily looking at 1-2+ hours play time unless you burn out early). It's just my opinion that it doesn't fit well as a recommendation in regards to the OP's question.

Anyway, I will absolutely agree that there are great LotR games out there that are not built on an expandable, LCG model. If you don't like the idea of buying frequent, small expansions for your game, you should definitely seek those out. But those games are not LotR:The Card Game, and that seems to be what the OP is interested in. ;^)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Spencer
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb
I am quite aware of the other games with the theme, there seems to be alot of them with more deckbuilding lesser games coming out all the time, I'm looking at your Lord of the Rings, the deck building game.

On that note, the same gaming partner I mentioned in earlier just picked up at copy of War of the Ring, second edition, this week and we played a first game that lasted nearly 4 hours last night. I played the free peoples and got within one more move on the Mordor track to destroy the ring when I finally succumb to Sauron's corruption. It was a great LOTR experience.

I do appreciate the suggestion, but as previous poster mentioned I am not really interested in another Lord of the Rings co op just trying to make this one a little more appealing and long lasting without having to sell my kidney on the blackmarket to make it happen.

Happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLean
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I'm actually enjoying the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game with my kids and looking to expand our game experience. I love the cooperative card game experience. We have played the Pathfinder RPG, but I don't like having to do all the prep that comes with GMing, and I like to play. The Pathfinder card game gives me the RPG experience (mostly) without all the prep and hundreds of pages of rules and options.

We all love Middle Earth and it seems this game will give us what we enjoy in games. But there are so many expansions I don't know where to start. From what I have seen I think I want two of the core set (4 players) and I think the Hobbit On the Doorstep Saga expansion looks fun. Where to begin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OberonViking wrote:
I'm actually enjoying the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game with my kids and looking to expand our game experience. I love the cooperative card game experience. We have played the Pathfinder RPG, but I don't like having to do all the prep that comes with GMing, and I like to play. The Pathfinder card game gives me the RPG experience (mostly) without all the prep and hundreds of pages of rules and options.

We all love Middle Earth and it seems this game will give us what we enjoy in games. But there are so many expansions I don't know where to start. From what I have seen I think I want two of the core set (4 players) and I think the Hobbit On the Doorstep Saga expansion looks fun. Where to begin?

Just start with one or two of the core sets and see if you like the game first - there's plenty of play value in a core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.