United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlasshrugged/atlas-shru...

Randroids lining up for a handout...guess the market didn't deem them worthy, or something.

I own the first two chapters, btw. Especially two copies of the first one with the back cover blurb about "self sacrifice" when the Ayn Rand followers tried to disappear it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd be amazed what can be accomplished without union labor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
*shrugs*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
You'd be amazed what can be accomplished without union labor.
No big stars for a start, they have a union.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
The creator says in his opening post that they don't need the money to make the project, that the movie is fully funded and this is "just about marketing".

I feel like that might be against Kickstarter's TOS, but that whole thing is kind of opaque to me.

I'm also highly suspicious that they might be self-funding, just because I can't imagine people playing thousands to be in the movie. Objectivists aren't generally that successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
The creator says in his opening post that they don't need the money to make the project, that the movie is fully funded and this is "just about marketing".

I feel like that might be against Kickstarter's TOS, but that whole thing is kind of opaque to me.

I'm also highly suspicious that they might be self-funding, just because I can't imagine people playing thousands to be in the movie. Objectivists aren't generally that successful.

I have no trouble believing there are 'people' who would pay thousands to appear in the film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
tstone wrote:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlasshrugged/atlas-shru...

Randroids lining up for a handout...guess the market didn't deem them worthy, or something.

I own the first two chapters, btw. Especially two copies of the first one with the back cover blurb about "self sacrifice" when the Ayn Rand followers tried to disappear it...

How, exactly, is Kickstarter a "handout?" I'm confused.
Asking people to give you money and get nothing in return is hand out. They did not have to have give us $1 for fuck all option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not angry at all. Hell, I'll buy the third film as soon as it is available. But I thought it was all about the market judging what is worthy to survive...or some such rot.

PS. If taxpayer money is good enough for Ayn Rand...pst...she took Social Security, dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
tstone wrote:
I'm not angry at all. Hell, I'll buy the third film as soon as it is available. But I thought it was all about the market judging what is worthy to survive...or some such rot.

I'm confused...how is using kickstarter running counter to the Rand "philosophy?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
So . . . what? You're angry that they didn't ask for taxpayer money like all the leftists do?

More taxpayer money goes to Red states than Blue ones...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
So . . . what? You're angry that they didn't ask for taxpayer money like all the leftists do?
Who's angry, we just think it will be shit (by the way who did fund he film), and will flop (like the last two installments)?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
tstone wrote:

PS. If taxpayer money is good enough for Ayn Rand...pst...she took Social Security, dude.

Are you confused about how Kickstarter works? How is Kickstarter not part of the market?

I guess. But they are still asking for handouts. Rather than just producing the product and letting it sink or swim on it's own merits. I mean, I suppose it is "the market" in the sense that panhandling is entrepreneurialship.

They aren't earning it. They are asking for it and hoping you give them money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys I hate Objectivists as much as anyone, more maybe, but selling a completely worthless piece of shit to morons for insane prices isn't counter to Objectivist philosophy, it's the essence of Objectivist philosophy.

You should probably take their women too, while you're at it.

Maybe that's a "stretch goal."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
True, since I'll eventually be able to buy the blu ray for less than ten dollars.

On the market.

But there is something quixotic about this and I may flip them bucks just for my own amusement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:
Guys I hate Objectivists as much as anyone, more maybe, but selling a completely worthless piece of shit to morons for insane prices isn't counter to Objectivist philosophy, it's the essence of Objectivist philosophy.

But they're not selling anything, not until you get up to like the $25 level. Below that it's just asking for donations.

They're selling the same thing all kickstarters sell. "If you want this thing to exist, kick in some money and help it come to fruition."

I'm with Ryan, I think Ayn Rand is shit, but I don't see how this is hypocritical. It'd be hypocritical if, say, they took a bunch of tax subsidies to film in a particular location, or had part of the funding from a public grant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:

Ayn Rand a 'stretch goal' that conjures up some unpleasant imagery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I got sucked into Randian philosophy when I was 17.

Fortunately, I turned 18.

Seriously - Rand's ideas are so antithetical to everything Jesus ever said I can't imagine the huge rationalizations the Right makes to hold her up as some kind of philosophical ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Shushnik wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

But they're not selling anything, not until you get up to like the $25 level. Below that it's just asking for donations.

They're selling the same thing all kickstarters sell. "If you want this thing to exist, kick in some money and help it come to fruition."

I'm with Ryan, I think Ayn Rand is shit, but I don't see how this is hypocritical. It'd be hypocritical if, say, they took a bunch of tax subsidies to film in a particular location, or had part of the funding from a public grant.
How ere the last two funded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

I don't think that's true at all, they're selling access and group identification, two things that I'm sure the kind of mentally weak people who are into Objectivism really love, and the kind of thing that people who recognize the virtue of selling worthless imaginary concepts to rubes love to sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's not against KS rules, as long as they have specified goals for the KS funds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Who are "all the leftists" anyway? That is awfully vague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
tstone wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
tstone wrote:

Are you confused about how Kickstarter works? How is Kickstarter not part of the market?

I guess. But they are still asking for handouts. Rather than just producing the product and letting it sink or swim on it's own merits. I mean, I suppose it is "the market" in the sense that panhandling is entrepreneurialship.

They aren't earning it. They are asking for it and hoping you give them money.

I . . . don't think you really understand the whole concept here.

I offer something. You give me money. We both go away believing we got the better deal. Happiness enlarges.

You could just as soon say that Whole Foods is asking for handouts. They put out the overpriced new age crap, and a bunch of suckers buy it, and everybody is happy.

Why do you hate happiness?

I don't. I hate something for nothing, which is what some of those pledge levels offer. Even the rest are just a "promise", with no real guarantee of follow through.

This is more like giving money to a a bum on the street. You will have the happiness of helping a person in need and they will have the happiness of getting a meal/fifth/whatever.

But, as I said...I own these films. Do you?

Same thing.

What do YOU have against happiness?

Ah, but only if it is happiness YOU approve of, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:
Rand's ideas are so antithetical to everything Jesus ever said I can't imagine the huge rationalizations the Right makes to hold her up as some kind of philosophical ideal.

The right generally doesn't embrace full-blown Randianism. It's just the left's favorite insult these days.

They'll find a new one as soon as their media masters hand one down to them.

Thumb for the first sentence. There are a lot of conservatives who completely dismiss Rand. She doesn't fit into traditional conservatism with her disdain for "the greater good" and outright rejection of religion. She doesn't fit into conservative politics as it's practiced because she has no use whatsoever for the military complex or corporate welfare.

And, of course, she was a radical. Conservatives tend to mistrust or downright hate radicals on principle.

Of course, that first sentence is downright horseshit. It is simplicity itself to do a google search and find some right wing pundit or politician lauding Ayn Rand.

I'd be more impressed of Drew could find one verbally, publically actually SAYING what he says they say.

Not counting on it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the right isn't intellectually honest enough to claim any single philosophy, but if you look at the way they govern, I think it's pretty clear that many of them live as Objectivists even if they aren't familiar with the term.

I think there's a strong distinction between people who get rich, then live like Rand is right about the world, but never ever talk about her philosophy because that would be stupid (ie rich evil bastards) and people who think Objectivism is brilliant and clever and won't shut up about it (teens, insufferable young adults and very pathetic older adults).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:
Rand's ideas are so antithetical to everything Jesus ever said I can't imagine the huge rationalizations the Right makes to hold her up as some kind of philosophical ideal.

The right generally doesn't embrace full-blown Randianism. It's just the left's favorite insult these days.

They'll find a new one as soon as their media masters hand one down to them.

http://americanvaluesnetwork.org/aynrandvsjesusmemo/

You are wrong.

As for the above...my heart will go on.

Somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.