Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'll save you a seat at the table!
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems from the builds presented of BGG that a synergy of different crew and equipment is what gives you a serious advantage in OP events.

Therefore, won't the early winners who gets the ships, crew, tech, etc. be able to equip a fleet better and possibly be superior to someone who did not win access to these possibilities?

In the end, a single card or ship could be the different in the next win and so on and so forth. While everyone else will be unable to buy or otherwise get access and have a balanced shot. We could have a serious problem. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh C
United States
Sherwood
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the prizes are that pivotal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
certainj wrote:
I don't think the prizes are that pivotal.

Agreed. I tried the Ferengi ship and it was ... lackluster. Continually hitting someone with the em pulse is really hard when they have to be out of your forward firing arc. The OP2 event may be something... but we don't know yet. The Elite attack die, however, is pretty awesome (but everyone gets one)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played against a list using the Krayton with the Missle Launchers in my second month one event and won. It was a nice little ship, but nothing overpowering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
We will have to see how it plays out and how things roll into each other. Yet it is hard to believe that all the winning prizes will be all underpowered and not part of a great ship synergy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least as far as the month 1 to month 2 jump, the D'Kora isn't getting used in my next build at all. There are some nice things for casual play, but I don't consider it a serious tournament ship. The B'Rel however, there is some seriously nice stuff in there, like the ability to do a 3=> Sensor Echo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 3 kraytons. I wouldn't use a single one in an official tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually did use the Krayton in my 2nd event. I didn't have to, but I wanted to just because I had won it. Also my 1st two ships were at 74 pts/total, and I wanted a 3rd ship with some "punch" (not weak like the Apnex and not too fragile like the Gr'oth).

The Krayton is good in the sense that for 22 SP it can get you (with the ability) 4 attack die and a "target lock" of sorts to be able to reroll blanks once. I put Mirok on it to be able to repair shields in case it got hit so I could keep using the ability. Plus the reverse movement is nice too.

I would say that the Krayton was not crucial to winning, but it was effective for exactly what I needed. The Ch'Tang is also going to be VERY nice to use, but again I wouldn't say it is going to guarantee anyone victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that the first wave of expansions is also coming out soon, I can't imagine it will make much difference.

Unless of course there is something really overpowered with a LE ship, but hopefully they dont go that way. So far so good- the only thing that looks strong with the Krayton is the EM Pulse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be argued that OP2 Prize is a significant addition not open to everyone.

Star Trek: Attack Wing - I.K.S. Ch'Tang Expansion Pack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Luc Simard
Canada
Longueuil
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TriColoredTiger wrote:
It could be argued that OP2 Prize is a significant addition not open to everyone.

Star Trek: Attack Wing - I.K.S. Ch'Tang Expansion Pack

Agreed. The Krayton and associated cards is thematic but far from necessary. The Ch'Tang, however, has plenty going on for it that could influence the game:

- The Ch'Tang itself, an alternative to Kronos One sacrificing one hull point for a self-included Target Lock when attacking out of cloak.
- Martok: Skill 9 captain (first Klingon-native one), with a nice attack boosting ability
- Defense Condition One: Gives Battle Stations to several ships at once
- Barrage of Fire: Allow to combine fire from two ships at once
- Synon: Crew that allow for Move-3 Sensor Echo

Nothing so overpowering that whoever has it will automatically win, but people with the ship and cards will definitely have powerful options available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I really like the Krayton. It has nice maneuverability and decent hull/shield strength. I love EM Pulse and Conditional surrender. Those two abilities won a casual game for me.

On the other hand, while Krayton adds a few wrinkles to your strategy, it is not a massive "game-changer." TOS Enterprise has the same ship value, a better firing arc. Fifth wing patrol ship is also a 22, has the exact same upgrade bar, but adds an additional action (Battle Stations).

The Ch'Tang is a 22 point ship with cloak, so it fits in with other existing ships. The cards with Ch'Tang (Marok-9 and the upgrades) could make their presence felt, but nothing absolutely dominating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.