Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

Just wanted to pass this forward...I'm sure many of you already know this but I just learned about it this past year, so I'm sure it'll prove usefull to at least a couple gamers!

For those of us who ship games, the USPS has a large Priority box specifically made for board games! (It even has a little picture of game pieces on the front!) It ships for the same large box cost of $16.85.

I've been able to fit two normal size games (i.e. most Eurogames) or perhaps one larger Ameristyle game...most newly published games will fit two to a box...or you could fit a crap load of little filler games!

These boxes are not available at the post office, you have to order them...which is free!

They come 25 to a pack, and you can order 1-20 packs.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.j...

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dahl
United States
West Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.

A little spendy on the price, but I know finding a box for the longer games can be a pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Snider
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I"ve seen that little games icon on their boxes before and thought if we (BGG) were the reason with all our trading. I know I've walked into a post office with bare games in my hands many times. Why the heck else would they pick boardgames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
Go Lizards, Go Hogs, Go Illini; and the Army keeps rolling along!
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:
These boxes are not available at the post office, you have to order them...

Why is this, I wonder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willward wrote:
asgelb wrote:

Why is this, I wonder?

Your USPS person delivers to you. May be a storage issue??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sniderman89 wrote:
I"ve seen that little games icon on their boxes before and thought if we (BGG) were the reason with all our trading. I know I've walked into a post office with bare games in my hands many times. Why the heck else would they pick boardgames?

No, this website's population is tiny and doesn't make a dent in the postal service.

Look at the box's shape, is it meant to fit Dominion or Twilight Struggle? It's meant for Grandma to send Monopoly or Sorry to her grandkids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Willward wrote:
asgelb wrote:

Why is this, I wonder?

It depends on the post office. I've been in a few in my area where they are available with the other large flat rate boxes. Sometimes if you ask they have stuff behind the counter too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I returned two packs of these to my local post office, so if you use the same one they will have some

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herbert Griffin
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thumbs up!

I save the boxes from my Amazon shipments of board games.

I'm down to two boxes so I may need to buy some more games soon. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TouchMySusu wrote:
Thumbs up!

I save the boxes from my Amazon shipments of board games.

I'm down to two boxes so I may need to buy some more games soon. whistle

I like the way you think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
jumbit wrote:
sniderman89 wrote:

No, this website's population is tiny and doesn't make a dent in the postal service.

bgg users did have a hand in the creation of the board game flat rate box.
the story is in this thread:
Upcoming Priority Flat Rate Board Game Shipping Box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like advertising the contents of packages on the outside of the box. I have always thought that was a good thing when sending private, expensive material with the postal service.

Board games have really needed their version of the "adult magazine black bag" for some time now.

thumbsup

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poeppaul wrote:
jumbit wrote:
sniderman89 wrote:

This was the thread I was going to go find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poeppaul wrote:
jumbit wrote:
sniderman89 wrote:

This website's users still don't make a dent in the postal service's business. Just look at all the categories on ebay and imagine how many packages get sent daily. Then look at board games - it's a subset of Toys & Games. Then think of how few of the board games sold on ebay are BGG type board games.

If anything, having a special box for Monopoly-sized board games is a waste of the Postal Service's resources.

I suppose I shouldn't complain, the last board game I received was simply wrapped in white paper with no packaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, thanks for ensuring everyone knows about this...

I helped bring this to fruition with my friend; he happens to be the USPS VP in charge of most of the package shipping here internally within the US. I helped figure out the dimensions so it would fit two typical vintage 70s long box games as well as holding a game sized like Tikal. It needed to be essentially the same in volume as the large flat rate box at the time. It took about 2 trials to get it right. I gave him measurements, the I'd try a couple of games in the first protoype, provided revised measurements tweaks, and we did that one more time before going final.

For jumbit, I mostly did it to test the hypothesis that there was enough business to support having something better for us gamers to ship in. Of course I helped him identify other things that could be shipped in this box as well. While you may feel the markets is a little narrow, there is quite a bit shipped in boxes this size and I am certain much of them are games (think of all the eBay and Amazon sales). I think he said a million flew off the shelves as soon as they became available (which was post-Christmas I think). I'll see if I can get stats.

I'm still working through my original 2 boxes, which doesn't have the cool gaming logo on it, just the standard flat rate box notation.

So never say the Govt doesn't think of us gamers ;-)

Cheers,
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
If anything, having a special box for Monopoly-sized board games is a waste of the Postal Service's resources.

I work for USPS and in my opinion if the organization is going to turn around it is going to be through package delivery and it is going to be by responding to customer demands.

First class mail, periodical rate mail and business mail volume are all dropping off and are unsustainable. And raising prices isn't an easy solution either since there are so many ways of transferring information these days.

I think USPS is going to survive or die by its ability to increase market share in the package business. And we can't afford to take any customers for granted, or to ignore them. Including board gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Corrina
United States
Unspecified
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:

Look at the box's shape, is it meant to fit Dominion or Twilight Struggle? It's meant for Grandma to send Monopoly or Sorry to her grandkids.

Tell me again how the world works, oh wise owl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
jumbit wrote:

I work for USPS and in my opinion if the organization is going to turn around it is going to be through package delivery and it is going to be by responding to customer demands.

First class mail, periodical rate mail and business mail volume are all dropping off and are unsustainable. And raising prices isn't an easy solution either since there are so many ways of transferring information these days.

I think USPS is going to survive or die by its ability to increase market share in the package business. And we can't afford to take any customers for granted, or to ignore them. Including board gamers.

I agree with you (at least abstractly as I am not in the business, but here about some parts via my friend). You aren't going to win business by slowly reducing factors needed to make the business attractive to the consumer, but improving the value of the services. Keeping track of how the market changes is incredibly important. Package distribution won't go away anytime soon (at least not until transporters come along) and some information passed in envelopes won't go away anytime in the near future.

I personally hope USPS never goes away as it would free FedEx, UPS, etc. to charge what they like to the rural customers or perhaps drop service to those locations all together. It wouldn't impact me as much (since I live in a suburban location), but I like to think that it is a fairness issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Service to rural America is where USPS can't be touched (mostly because it is a loss leader).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.