Popular Tags: [View All]
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey readers....
I had to write a short short short story for school. I thought it was good enough to post here just for fun.
Please note I wrote it to conform for my grade, so yes, it is a little vague.

The Innocent Question

Is that like Monopoly? He asked staring at the explosion of hexes, cubes, and plastic spaceships which had conquered the table. I groaned as the blue Orion Hegemony flinched, the yellow Mechanema frowned, and the three white, green, and black Humans froze. The innocent question is an insult, for Monopoly favors the first rollers, depends entirely on luck, works only with trades, and takes forever to loose. The innocent question is a compliment, for Monopoly invokes whispers of past joy, the delights of victory, warm pleasures of conversation, and lasting memories of family. The innocent question is a puzzle, for how do you explain in a brief moment the crevasse between the static square board – and the constructed hex map? The chasm between the robotic roll, move metal wheelbarrow – and the considered choose, move plastic space fleet? The innocent question….so difficult…. I set the red dreadnought down thoughtfully. Perhaps, a gentle answer will convert casual curiosity to balanced board game bliss. The instant stretched to light-years as the red Descendants of Draco cleared his throat and decided on delaying the fun. Yes and no, I answered. They’re both board games, but this is balanced to allow everyone to have a delightful chance at winning….I spread the honey well, and hoped the doomed would teeter into the trap from which there is no escape….and this requires a great deal of thought and strategy to effectively use your fleet to win the galaxy.
So, do you want to see how it works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. UDO
United States
Chandler
AZ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
[This space intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Also related to Is that like Risk?

My favorite ever was someone who came up to me while playing a game and asked Is that like Settlers of Catan? I knew I had a future gaming partner in the making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Petersen
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a well written, enjoyable, and informative picture one of the modern gamer's biggest struggles. I'll just go ahead and read it again. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Sansone
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice writing. Captures so many things, in so few words. Good work sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all!

pikkusiili2000 wrote:

My favorite ever was someone who came up to me while playing a game and asked Is that like Settlers of Catan? I knew I had a future gaming partner in the making.

One of my best moments is when a friend of my younger brother's (about 10 years younger) told me a story from friends at school. Keep in mind I've kept him very interested (read entangled) in board gaming. Anyway, he told me a bunch of his friends were all excited about this 'cool game' -Catan. He's like 'Yeah, I know. Have you tried Cities & Knights? Man, you are behind the curve...'
Win!!!cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.