Hide
16 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: house-ruling directional shields (rear shields, side shields etc) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam james
msg tools
guys this STAW looks fantastic, I just have one question before I take the plunge and buy everything!
are the shield rules easily house-ruled or customisable to allow for 'sided' shields ie different strengths for 'left' and 'right' hemisphere shields?

it seems like shields are simply 360, which takes a lot of tactical options out of the game.
I would like to play with left and right shields... does the way shields are played at the moment allow for that??
ie if the Ent has 8 shields, could they be split 4 left / 4 right and be damaged and re-energised separately?

or another mechanic?
interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played SFB for years. Love that game. Love the scope, the complexity, everything.

Having shields be 360 deg in Attack Wing hasn't taken away from this game at all. I wouldn't bother making left/right shields. It would make Attack Wing too complicated and take too long.

Different kind of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam james
msg tools
thank for the response! if I wanted to try and house-rule something (just for a try) would it be easy to do under the existing rules?

ie do shields currently function in a way that splitting them into left/right/fore/aft would work okay?

I know the bases have fire arcs that could match shield directions, but do they take hits and recharge in a mechanism that could allow directional shields?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the firing arcs are equivalent to SFB "FA" arc. i.e., a 90deg arc that's 45deg to each side of the centerline.

Some ships have a "front half" arc, 180deg in front of the ship. Some also have a "RA" arc to the rear for secondary weapons (photon torps) only.

The Enterprise-D (only the E-D, not Galaxy class) does have a special 360deg arc for it's main phasers at reduced range & power. DS9/Nor space station has something similar.

There is not obvious mechanism to split shield values or direction of attack. I suppose you could say 4-sided values of front, right, rear, left, but it would be really easy to get into arguments over "that's not my left side of front, that's the right". The attacker doesn't fire from a specific part of the base, it's from anywhere, so the left-side/part of the front arc (for the attacker) might hit the right side of the defender but the right-side/part might hit the front or left side of the defender.

See what I mean about it get complicated really fast? Hexes make these sorts of determinations much easier. STAW (and X-Wing, Wings of War, Wings of Glory) use a free movement that isn't restricted to hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam james
msg tools
thanks for the rundown! how do shields take damage and recharge? and are there different values for different ships?
I am very close to ebaying some ships!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are online um, somewhere. I can't find them right now. You can look at the X-Wing rules from FFG for a good idea of the rules, but STAW does have some key differences.

Hits & critical hits go against shields first, if your shields are "up" (enabled in game speak). Obviously cloaked ships don't have their shields enabled. After the shields are destroyed they don't come back. You can intentionally lower your shields to do certain actions (and raise them for free at the end of the round).

A few crew upgrade cards, like Scotty, can repair shields, but generally once a shield is hit it's destroyed.

Yes, different ships have different shield values.

And you'll need the base set with dice, maneuver templates, range template, etc. to play the game. The expansion ships can be nice & give different upgrade cards to mix-and-match, but the base set does have everything that's required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just reading this thread inspired me to come up with a simple house rule for directional shields.

Simply place your shield tokens along whichever edge of the base you wish to focus your shields. This could be redone at the end of every round at the same time you would choose whether to enable shields.

If you are attacked and the closest point is on the edge that you have your shield tokens, then the shields take the hit. Since the closest point is usually on the corners, you would be able to absorb the attack with the shields on either adjacent edge to that corner of the base.

Seems fun, now to try it out. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam james
msg tools
please let me know how it goes! very interesting. seems like a nice clean mechanic but could alter the durability / weakness of the ships??
keep us posted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a lot more tokens to move around when you move a ship. Also, what about when there isn't enough room to put 2 sets of shield tokens between the ships?

Like the idea but in practice I think it'd become unwieldy. Which is what Andrew says in his post on designing shields in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
That's a lot more tokens to move around when you move a ship. Also, what about when there isn't enough room to put 2 sets of shield tokens between the ships?

On further thinking, I think shield deployment should be a Free Action. So you could do it after moving, unless of course you are under auxilary power.

On the 'enough room' issue, just place them on top of the ship base on that side of the ship. Should be fine. :)

Quote:
Like the idea but in practice I think it'd become unwieldy. Which is what Andrew says in his post on designing shields in the game. :)

Haven't had a chance to give it a go yet, but seems simple enough to me that it should work, and will add another layer of decision making to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam james
msg tools
my tweaks to the idea would be:

*only split shield hemispheres into RIGHT 180 and LEFT 180.
*when a ship is shot down to its FINAL active shield (either right or left), that shield instantly and automatically 'pops' to become a 360 universal shield.

This 'final shield pop' addition is to give ships a little more durability as compensation... because SPLITTING shields from 360 to 180 REDUCES their overall durability.

just an idea. be curious to know how it plays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soapwater wrote:
my tweaks to the idea would be:

*only split shield hemispheres into RIGHT 180 and LEFT 180.
*when a ship is shot down to its FINAL active shield (either right or left), that shield instantly and automatically 'pops' to become a 360 universal shield.

This 'final shield pop' addition is to give ships a little more durability as compensation... because SPLITTING shields from 360 to 180 REDUCES their overall durability.

just an idea. be curious to know how it plays!

Fine suggestions, but I feel like it would complicate things overmuch.

Since closest line between bases would always be to a corner, you could pretty much consider it to be right and left hemispheres though if you wanted. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So do all of you place shield tokens next to the ship during a regular game? I place them on the ships card and as such would leave them there even if I were to use the directional rules being suggested here. Just use the 4 sides of the ships card to represent the sides of the ship.

As far as aiming, well, instead of always measuring the shortest distance, allow for free-range measurement. I'd make a restriction that you can only target sides that you can draw a direct line of fire to without crossing any part of the target's base. So if you were facing me head on, and completely parallel, then I'd only be able to shoot your front. I'd also make it either a free action or non-free action to redistribute shields, allow players to start the game with shields distributed any way they like, and then allow redistribution to a section only when said section no longer has any shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Whaley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking this is probably best in the variant forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero_guy wrote:
So do all of you place shield tokens next to the ship during a regular game? I place them on the ships card and as such would leave them there even if I were to use the directional rules being suggested here. Just use the 4 sides of the ships card to represent the sides of the ship.

I do and I recommend it personally but I've seen others play it the way that you do it.

Quote:
As far as aiming, well, instead of always measuring the shortest distance, allow for free-range measurement. I'd make a restriction that you can only target sides that you can draw a direct line of fire to without crossing any part of the target's base. So if you were facing me head on, and completely parallel, then I'd only be able to shoot your front. I'd also make it either a free action or non-free action to redistribute shields, allow players to start the game with shields distributed any way they like, and then allow redistribution to a section only when said section no longer has any shields.

That is a neat twist. Could even make a difference at times between close, mid or long range, and so make for some interesting strategic choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this out today and it was pretty fun.

It does give yet another edge to the higher skilled captains, as they move last and can best tell how to distribute their shields after their movement.

After my short playtest here is how I recommend to work it:

- After moving, you can redistribute your shields as a free action. Do so by placing your shield tokens along any edge of your base you choose.

When drawing closest line between ship bases for attacking, it's best to use the closest corner of one base to the closest corner of the other. The player controlling that ship can choose to absorb hits by shield tokens from either edge adjoining the corner that is being attacked.

We tried out allowing the attack to be made anywhere that the attacker chooses at first, but I think this game too much power to the higher skilled captains, who are already getting a boost from this rule anyway.

We also had it come up once where the bases where touching and so I just put hte shield tokens on the base, which worked fine.

Seems cool overall. The only thing I would prefer would be a way to keep the shield distribution secret from your opponent, as that would seem more accurate really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.