Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mirlitho -
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Is it possible to use Strategic movement between England and France ?

It seems that the rules (4.5.) allow it but I'm not sure it's the way it should be played, especially if Germany has taken all coastal areas.

Thank you for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the top left of page 7 in the core rules:
"Sea movement cannot be combined with any other type of movement."

You may only use Sea Movement to move to/from the UK, and can't use other movement types such as Strategic Movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirlitho -
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this rule excludes Strategic movement with another unit.

I think the purpose is to exclude a combined sea and ground movement.
I.e. : a UK army cannot sea move and make an extra ground movement from the coastal landing area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirlitho wrote:
I don't think this rule excludes Strategic movement with another unit.

I think the purpose is to exclude a combined sea and ground movement.
I.e. : a UK army cannot sea move and make an extra ground movement from the coastal landing area.

Each movement type applies to one unit at a time.

Strategic movement also says it cannot be combined with other movement, because a unit can do a strategic move, and that's it, or it can do normal movement, and then not strategic, or a sea move, and then no normal or strategic movement.

But as the first sentence of movement says:
"When an Offensive type card is played, the Attacker may move any or all units."

If you let a unit perform Sea movement other units can still do Strategic movement up to the unit limit for that year.

But between England and France you can only do Sea movement as per the rule I quoted before. That was your question, can one do Strategic movement between England and France, no you can't. Can you do Sea movement between England and France and let another unit that was already in France do Strategic movement? Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirlitho -
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact it cannot be combined with other movement is irrelevent here as it is the rule for each type of movement : rails (4.4.), strategic (4.5.) and sea (4.6.).

I can't see any rule saying between England and France you can only do Sea movement.

In my opinion "Sea movement" in "Sea movement cannot be combined with any other type of movement." refers to 4.6. So it doesn't prevent from using strat movement (4.5.).

But maybe you're referring to the "spirit of the rules"...
I'm not saying that it's not the way it should be played but I would like to be sure how the designers wanted to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirlitho wrote:
The fact it cannot be combined with other movement is irrelevent here as it is the rule for each type of movement : rails (4.4.), strategic (4.5.) and sea (4.6.).

I can't see any rule saying between England and France you can only do Sea movement.

In my opinion "Sea movement" in "Sea movement cannot be combined with any other type of movement." refers to 4.6. So it doesn't prevent from using strat movement (4.5.).

But maybe you're referring to the "spirit of the rules"...
I'm not saying that it's not the way it should be played but I would like to be sure how the designers wanted to do it.

4.6 also says:
"UK reinforcement Armies as well as any rebuilt eliminated UK Armies must appear in the ENGLAND Area. Such armies must then first cross the Channel before moving up to the front line."

Crossing the channel would be Sea Movement, obviously since this is mentioned under 4.6, which is UK Sea Movement. Why mention crossing the channel in a paragraph describing Sea Movement if it is meant to be another kind of movement. But yes, it doesn't explicitly say that "crossing the channel" equates to using a boat. They might force march across the sea biblical style, or be loaded onto biplanes and paradrop over central France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirlitho -
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is much more convincing. I will play it that way then !

And I advise that redaction of 4.6. for v.2 of the rules :

'Such armies must then first cross the Channel by sea movement before moving up to the front line.'

Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.