Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Special Order vs. Self-Modifying Code rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Homchuck
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
If a runner had the influence points to work with why not use Special Order to search there stack for and icebreaker instead of using up the memory room for Self-Modigying Code? I get you can install it right off with SMC but you have to have the memory room to get SLC in there first.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empty World
China
flag msg tools
Test
You can use SMC during the run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SMC is more flexible, but more expensive. Some decks want that flexibility, others can't afford the cost and MU footprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedraum
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's been said already, not to mention it saves a click over special order at the added cost of 2 credits. In Shaper, I'll take that any day.

AND you're not limited to just icebreakers. I've seen good use of Kate players recurring parasites & imps to great effect with SMC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also a program and hence can be recurred through the variety of program recursion available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Goodwin
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly the real answer is that it works with Freelance Coding Contracts while special order does not.

Just kidding. What everyone else said is right too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bodasafa wrote:

Thoughts?

Self Modifying Code is way better. Its instant speed and doesnt cost a click to install the breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Berton
Canada
flag msg tools
Self-Modifying Code is definitely the better card, but at 3 influence, it's tough to splash, so it's not really an apt comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tberton wrote:
Self-Modifying Code is definitely the better card, but at 3 influence, it's tough to splash, so it's not really an apt comparison.

Yeah, we're at a place right now where each of the runner factions is pretty good at the kind of tutoring that's most relevant to their playstyle (with the one exception that SMC being so damn fast almost makes Special Order feel like more of a traditionally-Shapery "build your rig first" card by comparison, but I guess part of the problem there is that we're not as interested in ice-expose effects as the designers seem to want us to be). The one thing I'm currently wondering is whether Anarchs are going to get some kind of Caissa tutor this cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
2097 wrote:
hoobajoo wrote:
SMC is more flexible, but more expensive. Some decks want that flexibility, others can't afford the cost and MU footprint.

The only price difference is the MU and influ.

And the credit cost. And the click cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.