Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dimitris filippatos
Greece
patra
greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi all. i am new at this game but i like it a lot. i wanna know if is it logic to make a fleet with ships from all nations ( french an british together?!!!!) .i think that it would be good to have a mixing guide like what nation goes with who .
regards
micheni

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixing factions doesn't make historical sense and I suppose one could assume that the other ships are merely captured vessels but that doesn't explain crew.

In the beginning I tried to use strictly one faction but quickly found that I couldn't do what I wanted with one faction alone. The factions are still very different in what crew and ships they have available although this is getting better with each new set that gets released.

The main problem is certain crew, ships and abilities exist only in certain factions. I now mix all sorts of ships tigether and have come up with some very good and tournament legal fleets.

Go with what works for you.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dimitris filippatos
Greece
patra
greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thx for the reply. i havent played any tournament yet i am organizing my french fleet now. is it legal in tournaments to have a fleet with stuff from all nations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as i know it is, as long as all the crew on a ship match that ship's nationality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Nichols
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am an envoy for the Pirates game line. Mixing the fleets is perfectly legal, from a rules standpoint. Of course, as long as the crew for a particular ship are from the same nationality as that particular ship (unless there are special abilities that allow you to do something different), everything is fine. My regular group tends to play at 150 points usually. For those, we do make "faction pure" fleets. That's just our particular brand of weirdness. We also like to play straight up naval fights, avoiding the treasure running. But that is just us. There is nothing that says you cannot mix fleets (officially). It is a good idea to check with you local envoy/venue to see if they have any particular house rules, as the tournament play is more geared to casual as opposed to purely competitive playstyles.

I hope that helps. Of course, if you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kyle nordman
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Could you mix nationalities? Sure. Does it make historical sense? Sure it does! Certain countries have allied against other countries since... well since... forever. It would not make much sense to mix the Asians with anyone else... historically. Technically speaking, the Americas and England were allied before the American Revolution. The Americans however have allied with most anybody that served their purposes, French (during the American Revolution to protect their fishing interests near Newfoundland), the Spanish were some what allied with the Americans and the French but to a lesser degree; and they were more interested in their security in Europe. This is just a 30 year snapshot of how a few of the period navies historically interacted. Pirates... well I am sure that they would be had at a price to any nation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dimitris filippatos
Greece
patra
greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thx very much for your replies. may i have the same ship twice or more times in my fleet for a game.? how big playing surface do u use for a 40 - 50 points game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Officially, you cannot have duplicate ships or unique crew in your fleet. For a two-player game of 40-50 points, a 3-foot-square card table is cramped but functional. The rule-of-thumb that I've used for table space is to have 1.5 square feet of table space for each island in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Campbell
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played this game...but it looks interesting...my two cents on mixing nationalities is..wouldn't a "pirate fleet" be made up of different nationalities...pirates were a mixed group of men so perhaps if one wanted to make a mixed nationalities fleet they could use whatever ship and crew they wanted .ie. an English ship, French ship..Spanish ..etc...use the rules pertaining to each ship and crew..but still fall under the overall Pirate Fleet rules, if this makes any sense...like i said i've never played before but this is just a suggestion..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.