Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played magic when it first came out many moons ago. I stopped playing after highschool. My wife and I picked up a bunch of preconstructed decks around 2005 but only played them a few times. Yesterday I bought the Heros vs. monster duel pack.

Today I sat down and taught my son how to play. He picked up the rules pretty quickly and proceeded to kick my but with the heroes deck.

he doesn't understand some of the mechanics written on the cards. The wording is a bit hard for him to understand sometimes. I help explain them to him and help him understand how to use certain cards.

It was really fun and I look forward to playing more with him after 10 years off. My 8 year old wants to learn too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
flag msg tools
Doing the same with my 8 year old daughter. She too...is kicking my butt with her Red/Blue Intro deck. Funny how that works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent parenting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did end up teaching my 8 year old too. He already picked up alot of it by watching us play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just start with vanilla creatures, you can actually start quite early.

We started a couple of months ago. My daughter is currently 6 yo, and here she just realized, that a Pearled Unicorn is crap compared to some soldier:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We accept her, we accept her, one of us, one of us... gooble gobble gooble gobble one of us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Palmer
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am another dad who taught his 8 year old to play Magic just this month. We've been playing Pokemon for over a year now, so the mechanics were familiar to him. He is quite good at playing already, which I believe means I am a terrible Magic player. But, the upside is that I love playing a game where I don't have to lose on purpose.

I have adopted the Intro deck method of affordable Magic playing. We have two 2010 decks and two 2014 decks. Does anyone know if the Monsters vs Heroes duel decks would be too powerful against our current decks? Also, I am thinking of getting the 5 Theros Intro decks. Are the unique mechanics in those decks too tricky for the 8 year old crowd?

My 6 year old is playing too, but he has had to memorize what the cards do because of his reading level. I admire his persistence though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say stick to the Core Set Intro Decks for now. It's possible he'll pick things up well enough to handle the duel decks and advanced set intro decks, but you'd likely be better off just picking up a few boosters of the new set to see if they'd add anything to what you have. Ease it in.

The only reason I'd suggest this is because Theros has some mechanics that have even experienced players a bit confused. Bestow in particular is pretty un-intuitive and takes some explaining how those creatures interact since the cards themselves don't talk about rules based situations that come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Helthani wrote:

My 6 year old is playing too, but he has had to memorize what the cards do because of his reading level. I admire his persistence though.

Lack of reading skills was the reason I chose to start with vanilla creatures only. After a few games, we added flyers (ones with wings in the pictures!) which was intuitive enough to be playable. They don't really need to be able to read to start playing the game. They can memorize simple concepts if you build it up slowly. Heck! how else could YOU playing with FBB cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Teaching your kids to play MTG is bad, very bad, for the wallet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spare Tire
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up the hydra deck -- you can play *with* your kids vs. the hydra.

We've been having fun with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Helthani wrote:
Does anyone know if the Monsters vs Heroes duel decks would be too powerful against our current decks? Also, I am thinking of getting the 5 Theros Intro decks. Are the unique mechanics in those decks too tricky for the 8 year old crowd?

Monstrous and Heroic aren't too bad. Bestow is a little tricky, as is scry (at least, the strategy in it can be). Devotion is definitely one of the trickiest abilities in Magic, but I don't know if it's present in Heroes vs. Monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Cash
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also introducing 8 yr old to Magic w/ Heroes v Monsters. I don't have a Magic background though. So, what is a hydra deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
skr8cash wrote:
So, what is a hydra deck?

This:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1038173/so-it-looks-like...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
Solo player that don't play solo
badge
Solo player that don't play solo
mbmbmbmbmb
Teaching Magic to kids is like giving them a loaded credit card

In more seriousness, good job teaching your 8 yo to play Magic. It must be fun and funny!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorie S
msg tools
As a twist to this, I have had a small group of 10-12 year old boys teaching ME to play (I'm 58). My 24 year old daughter and her husband got into the game in another state and so I figured I'd learn to play just a little so she could teach me more when I get there. Have only played 6 games total so far, Two-Headed Giant each time, and I still have that deer in the headlights look on my face as I watch the blur of action AND reaction going on around me. But I guess it will all sink in eventually. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.