Subject: Disengaging off-map. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A RQ
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

A rare situation occurs last session. One artillery is adjacent to east edge of map, and adjacent to a german unit too. Questions:

1 - Can this artillery counter make a disengaging roll?.
2 - If a sucessful roll, can this artillery counter retreat off-map better than other in-map option? (retreat will be to a off-map box, because this counter doesn't exit map by a blocking position,... the counter leave map by other hex edge)

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aroquesada wrote:
Hi,

A rare situation occurs last session. One artillery is adjacent to east edge of map, and adjacent to a german unit too. Questions:

Rule 11.9, sentences 1 and 5 both indicate that units may not exit the east edge of the map.

Aroquesada wrote:

1 - Can this artillery counter make a disengaging roll?.

Within the restrictions of 20.4, yes. It might not have a safe retreat path, however, in which case the roll would be pointless.

Aroquesada wrote:

2 - If a sucessful roll, can this artillery counter retreat off-map better than other in-map option? (retreat will be to a off-map box, because this counter doesn't exit map by a blocking position,... the counter leave map by other hex edge)

If I read you correctly, then no retreat off-map is possible because it is the east edge. If it were another map edge instead, then the disengagement is handled like a retreat (20.3) and the artillery unit would move to the appropriate off-map box, per rule 11.9. If your question is whether the rules require a retreat to be on-map if possible, I see no evidence of this, and the owning player determines the retreat path within the limits of 17.1.

Does that clarify, or did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A RQ
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, it were south edge, not east edge. Then allied units can exit without problem.

Better explained:

Artillery unit is adjacent to south edge and adjacent to a german unit that is adjacent to south edge too. Artillery is not engaged but during combat phase i make a successful disengage roll try towards off-map. About 20.4, first retreat hex is off-map (and then not adjacent to german unit, i suppose... this is a doubt... and is important because this hypothetical off-map first retreat hex is adjacent to the german unit too).

Limits of 17.1 and 17.7 are accomplished.

My new question: enemy ZOCs extend to the off-map hexes that aren't blocking positions?. If the answer is NO then i suppose that there is no problem to make this disengaging try and evacuate my artillery to the off-map box.

My english isn't very good. Sorry for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCalpin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, now I understand, and that is a very good question. I have searched through the rules and the CSW forum, but I cannot find a specific rule or ruling that says whether ZOCs extend off-map. As you said, if they do, then the artillery cannot disengage off map, but if ZOCs do not extend off-map (and I am leaning that way myself), then the artillery should be allowed to disengage.

I would recommend that you post your question on the Ardennes '44 forum at ConsimWorld (http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.ee6f572). Mark Simonitch visits there often and answers rules questions. Even though your English is actually quite good, you might consider attaching a photo or screenshot in order to make the relationship of the units and the map edge clear.

Given how much the map edges come into play in this game, I will be curious to see the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A RQ
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your answer.
Yes, isn't an easy question.
I will try in CSW, as you recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.