Dennis Godballe
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Poll: Do you think that BGG should have seperate expansion forums?
There is a massive discussion here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1044905/expansion-pack-f... where it seems that the majority of the users are in conflict with the moderators about moving topics to separate and more or less appropriate expansion forums.
Do you think that there should be separate forums for expansions of X-Wing or would you rather have it all in one place?
One forum structure per expansion.
One forum structure for the entire game.
Some third way not included in this poll.
I don't care!
      238 answers
Poll created by Dennis Godballe

If you are choosing the option "Some third way not included in this poll", please help by stating what you are thinking of specifically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
A way of having links to the threads be duplicated in the seperate forum structures, so that the forum can exist in both the main form and the individual form simultaneously.

People searching for specific threads on the shuttles can go to the shuttle location to find them, yet people who go to the main forums can still see the posts from that location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Godballe
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ravncat wrote:
A way of having links to the threads be duplicated in the seperate forum structures, so that the forum can exist in both the main form and the individual form simultaneously.

People searching for specific threads on the shuttles can go to the shuttle location to find them, yet people who go to the main forums can still see the posts from that location.

I like your proposal, especially if the BGG code would support it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cletus Van Damme

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Voted 1 forum for the entire game. Its really not that big or complex of a game to warrant a forum for every single expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Burke
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Part Owner, Gen Con Games Library
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a separate forum for each ship is like having a separate forum for each Twilight Imperium race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jburke98 wrote:
Having a separate forum for each ship is like having a separate forum for each Twilight Imperium race.

And you realize that there will be something like 2,000 pics in the 'game entry' by the time the various expansions are done, then, right?

You really want to know how those new Royal Guard Interceptors look on the board...you'll just have to go through page after PAGE after PAGE of images without them to see if you can find a pic that has them.

IMHO, it's a better idea to handle this as BGG handles all expansions - they link back to the base game entry on the base game's page, so you can see what threads are new or active very easily, there.

And at the same time, someone interested in more information on one specific expansion doesn't have to slog through thousands of irrelevant entries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
XanderF wrote:

And at the same time, someone interested in more information on one specific expansion doesn't have to slog through thousands of irrelevant entries.

or he could just post a thread asking for said information, like what everybody does for purchase choices, asteroid movements, custom scenarios, etcetc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
You really want to know how those new Royal Guard Interceptors look on the board...you'll just have to go through page after PAGE after PAGE of images without them to see if you can find a pic that has them.

And if the game I happen to take pictures of has Jax with Backstabber on his wing against Wedge and Tycho... Where does THAT picture go? And if someone else's game in the background of my shot happens to have a shuttle in it, what then?

Outside of standalone glory shots, a "single expansion" picture (especially "on the board") is going to be a vanishingly unlikely event. So why should a mixed shot that happens to include the Royal Guard go in that specific subforum? Because it's new? How does that help anyone find it six months later, when Jax is now the old schooler Wedge was in the first shot, and you're putting up shots of Corran because he's new and just happens to have Jax in the picture?

Splitting the images (or anything) without real organization improves nothing, and there's simply too much crossover between "expansions" in X-wing for a meaningful binning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buhallin wrote:
XanderF wrote:

And if the game I happen to take pictures of has Jax with Backstabber on his wing against Wedge and Tycho... Where does THAT picture go? And if someone else's game in the background of my shot happens to have a shuttle in it, what then?

Based on practices folks tend to follow for every other game with expansions...

The expansion that is either most relevant/central to the shot, or, barring any obvious choice from that, has the fewest contributions of that type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Based on practices folks tend to follow for every other game with expansions...

The expansion that is either most relevant/central to the shot, or, barring any obvious choice from that, has the fewest contributions of that type.

Well, that certainly sounds like a recipe for easy browsing shake

And whatever folks tend to follow for every other game with expansions, they don't seem to do it for this one. There's a good in-game shot with a couple of TIEs chasing a HWK, and it's in the HWK-290 area. That doesn't seem right - the TIEs are closer to the camera and more central to the shot, they're the aggressors, and there are more of them. Heck, the caption is even about Imperial enforcement, so obviously a TIE topic.

You do have to look a little closely to see that the TIE pilots are Mauler and an Obsidian squadron to properly place it in the core set, rather than the expansion, but it's obviously in the wrong place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People voting there should be a single page, do realise there is already a single page for X-Wing that shows all the forums together, yeah?
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/103885/star-wars-x-wing-m...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabs wrote:
People voting there should be a single page, do realise there is already a single page for X-Wing that shows all the forums together, yeah?

To be perfectly honest my call for a single forum is more about consistency than anything else because this game should be treated similar to Mtg so either they fix this forum or Mtg but for a database it's faulty and should be fixed.

That being said it's still annoying from that page because you have to flip through the pages on one pane to see what's there and then oh wait I have to scroll down a bit and start scrolling through this other pane.

I'll agree it's not a big degree of difficulty but the point is it's a workable patch. There's no reason it can't be fixed.

If your cars tire has a slow leak do you just go fill it with air whenever it's low or do you get it fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is about synergy of the ships. Having everything split does not make any sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Godballe
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabs wrote:

That's just an oversight of the current 11 forums. In a couple of months there will be 3 more, as we will see the two large ship expansions and the Imperial Aces expansion. In a year, that number could be doubled by 2 more waves and a couple of in-between-waves-expansions. Then we have 20-25 different forums.

Why can't the expansion forums be integrated into the main forum, so that there is a sub forum for each expansion, just as there is for Strategy and Variants and so on. That would make a lot more sense, so that the game forum is about the game and not just the base game.

Having to scroll down and open 11 different forums with 8 different sub-forums, just to find if something interesting has been posted is already stupid slow and stupid annoying. Imagine it, when it's 25 or 35 different forums? Then you have to browse through more than 200 sub-forums each and every time you visit the page.

Not gonna happen for me! Then I'm out and I'm betting that the creators of BGG wants more users, not less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, comedy, I linked the wrong page. This is the one showing all the sub forums together: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/18113/star-wars-x-w...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dennis Godballe wrote:
Not gonna happen for me! Then I'm out and I'm betting that the creators of BGG wants more users, not less.

Sorry, didn't read all the way to the end of your post. Don't worry, unless you use the links to ads (and I see you don't support BGG) then I'm sure they won't mind at all if you stop visiting. Nice of you to think of them though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
All Purpose Neko-Sensei
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabs wrote:
This is the one showing all the sub forums together: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/18113/star-wars-x-w...

Which granted is a better option than hunting and pecking to find all the individual forums, but is still quite an unhappy experience only seeing 10 posts at a time x_X I would not visit or participate much in the forums here if that becomes the best available option when all the discussions are fragmented out to Expansion Pack-land.

The main forum is just much more user friendly and visually easier to navigate: http://boardgamegeek.com/forums/thing/103885/star-wars-x-win...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Godballe
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabs wrote:
Lol, comedy, I linked the wrong page. This is the one showing all the sub forums together: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/18113/star-wars-x-w...

Yeah, that's way better. An overview of 10 recent debates, ignoring the rest. Great. That's not what I or most others want.

Fabs wrote:
Sorry, didn't read all the way to the end of your post. Don't worry, unless you use the links to ads (and I see you don't support BGG) then I'm sure they won't mind at all if you stop visiting. Nice of you to think of them though.

So I'm not welcome here, if I'm not paying directly? BGG doesn't want active users? I don't think you're representing BGGs opinion on their users.

And the fact that you don't read the messages that you respond to isn't my problem. It just makes you look ignorant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love you too modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Rodriguez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mb
Fabs let's be realistic, the current forum setup is the way it is because it works great for boardgames, which usually come with a whole new box full of content and it makes sense to discuss it separately from the base games. It makes a lot less sense to have EIGHT sub-forums to discuss a single ship release in X-Wing that will always be discussed in the context of what it ADDS to the core experience anyway.

TBF X-wing and similar games didn't even exist when BGG was first conceived so we can't fault the mods for enforcing the existing rules. But it would be nice of them to review and revisit said rules since games and the way people discuss them has evolved in the past 13 years. Don't get me wrong I love BGG and I honestly think a review leading to consolidation of the forums will be a GOOD think since it will make the forum experience better and attract more users. Yes this is a concern, I mean the main reason I ended up spending most of my time reading these forums was because the FFG forums ran slower than molasses in winter.

If not for us, then do it for the poor ST: Attack Wing players, they'll be getting 8 sub-forums at a time for their monthly prize support ship =p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this structure makes more sense for large expansions like what traditional board games get. X-Wing and Attack Wing "expansions" are pretty tiny amount of rules plus one ship. At the very least, condense it a bit and make a "wave X" forum that covers multiple ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
note you can link images to several games and/ or expansions, so your image of 6 Ties chasing a HWK can go to the base game, Tie expansion and HWK expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
note you can link images to several games and/ or expansions, so your image of 6 Ties chasing a HWK can go to the base game, Tie expansion and HWK expansion.

Technically true, but you can't suggest those links when submitting the image, so it makes the mod-approval process a two (or more) step sequence. Get the base image submitted, try to get it past geekmod for being relevant to the base game, then try to submit the various "links".

That might be a workable solution if the list of proposed 'link' items could be added when initially submitting. And I'd particularly like it if you could 'tag' the image (like most photo apps face-tagging capability - Facebook does that, too, for example) with the expansion links, to show where they are in the pic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And maybe get rid of the duplicate X-wing Miniatures page that's mostly empty while they're at it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rabidaskal wrote:
Fabs let's be realistic, the current forum setup is the way it is because it works great for boardgames, which usually come with a whole new box full of content and it makes sense to discuss it separately from the base games. It makes a lot less sense to have EIGHT sub-forums to discuss a single ship release in X-Wing that will always be discussed in the context of what it ADDS to the core experience anyway.

Yeah, I agree it's being hammered into a best fit defined by board games. All I've done is advised people who would like to see everything in one place, where there is currently one place to see it all. Unfortunately, it turns out that involves some horrendous effort for people where they have to scroll down the page or something equally arduous
Personally, I am one of the people who will go to the Millenium Falcom page if I wanted to discuss / lookup something relevant to that expansion. And that functionality would require the addition of an entirey new taxonomy if the pages were merged. But to be honest, I don't use the forums here as much anymore for reasons unrelated to the functionality, hence the reason why I haven't felt any need to post my opinion prior to you directly having the conversation with me.
Furthermore the requirement to me sounds like people actually would be best served by changes to the formatting of the X-Wing Family Page, to expand and simplify that overall view without any loss of functionality or taxonomy data. But I didn't want to get into a discussion with people who seem to have decided what they don't want, rather that try to determine what they do want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.