Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an old Grenadier dragon I bought on eBay that I've tried to strip down to bare metal. So far a week of soaking in oven cleaner has not done as good a job as I'd hoped and even scrubbing with a toothbrush there's too much of the old paint/primer that won't come off. the primer appears to be red instead of the usual black/white/gray.

Anyway...what's the next thing to try? I've heard brake fluid works well and is there any other method people use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used both brake fluid & Dettol, both worked well but I prefer the Dettol as brake fluid is rather nasty. Mind you these were on plastic minis not metal so I'm not too sure if they'll work the same. Also I think it depends on the kind of paint that was used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaboom! All purpose cleaner

Soak the mini overnight. The next day scrub with a toothbrush under running water. Most paints will come right off. Another soak will take care of it.

I have used this with metals and GW's type of plastic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had good results using Jasco paint remover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always just stuck with Simple Green to strip paint. Sometimes it takes 24 hours for it to come off, or requires multiple scrubs as you deplete layers. I also use a stronger brush. (I NEVER had luck using tooth brushes for cleaning minis.) You can find small/stiff bristled brushes in the cleaning aisles at department stores. If it's a metal mini, you may even try a steel brush.

Otherwise, if it's something permanently bonded, you might as well just paint a primer over that layer and start from there. I've got a few old Space Marines that were permanently turned black, I just painted over them. The loss of detail wasn't that bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
P.S. Use the CONCENTRATED Simple Green!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Use a proper paint stripper. The sort that is a kind of goo in a tin that you carefully paint onto the surface to be stripped. Smother the miniature in it, leave for 30 minutes, come back and rinse it. You may need to use a stiff brush at times. I do this routinely with stuff I buy off E-bay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used Jasco before and it really does work...but the normal rubber gloves don't really protect your skin and it burns. I do have some chemical rated gloves now and I'll have to pick up a can of Jasco this weekend. I know it doesn't damage the lead mini and I'm pretty sure it's plastic safe and will test it on some spare bits I can afford to mess up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfury wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's plastic safe

No, it's not -- or at least the can I have says not to use it on plastics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turnkey Miniatures
United States
Moodus
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Funny that this question should come up as I was just watching a YouTube vid on this very subject last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the advice in this thread is absolutely fine for stripping miniatures painted with acrylic paint. A lot of the things mentioned won't make a scratch in enamel, though, just to pick one other alternative it may be. There's lots of different types of paint, and you'll need a different chemical to strip each one.

If you don't have any idea what was used to paint the miniature in the first place, and the approaches usually used for acrylics aren't working, and it's a metal mini which is less likely to react to the stripper, I'd try white spirit/turpentine, then start working through the various paint strippers you can buy specifically for the task. Ask in a decent hardware shop for something to strip enamel paints (used to be very common for hobby painting, particularly historics) first, then work your way through other types of paint from there.

Or, as has been suggested, give up. If you're down to the primer and the primer wasn't put on too heavily, then it quite possibly won't show at all after you've primed it again ready to be repainted.

If the primer is red, that suggests to me auto primer. Unfortunately, some of that stuff etches into the surface it's painted on (at least when the surface is a car body panel) to provide better purchase... you may be better off not removing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Picksburd
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TKMinis wrote:
Funny that this question should come up as I was just watching a YouTube vid on this very subject last night.

I saw that too. The next time I have to strip paint I'm going to try a sonic cleaner. Simple green dissolves the paint but getting the paint out of the recesses of the figure has always been a big problem for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fambans wrote:
TKMinis wrote:

I saw that too. The next time I have to strip paint I'm going to try a sonic cleaner. Simple green dissolves the paint but getting the paint out of the recesses of the figure has always been a big problem for me.

Well after priming a large pile of space marine bits using cheap paint (Wal-mart) they're fuzzy. The paint didn't go on smooth so now I have to strip them down to start all over...so I think I'll be following the advcie the video and getting a jewelry cleaner. Walmart has one for under $30 which will be good for the stuff I'll need to clean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfury wrote:

Well after priming a large pile of space marine bits using cheap paint (Wal-mart) they're fuzzy.

Were they fuzzy at all before the primer, or was it definitely the primer coat that did that?

It's not uncommon to have problems with primer if you spray with a can which is too cold or in an environment which is too humid. It's always best to keep your spray paint inside in a warm room and only take it out for the actual spraying, and if it's too humid, just don't bother and wait for a better day. Or if you have an air-conditioned garage, spray in there.

Another common problem is if the sprayed surface wasn't clean, but if you've been chemically stripping the paint off, that was probably fine. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
Starfury wrote:

Well after priming a large pile of space marine bits using cheap paint (Wal-mart) they're fuzzy.

Were they fuzzy at all before the primer, or was it definitely the primer coat that did that?

It's not uncommon to have problems with primer if you spray with a can which is too cold or in an environment which is too humid. It's always best to keep your spray paint inside in a warm room and only take it out for the actual spraying, and if it's too humid, just don't bother and wait for a better day. Or if you have an air-conditioned garage, spray in there.

Another common problem is if the sprayed surface wasn't clean, but if you've been chemically stripping the paint off, that was probably fine. ;-)

It's the paint. Was near the end of the can of Wal mart flat white and it just messed things up. The good primer ran out half way through so they're not all messed up..just half of the bits. I'm not using the Wal-Mart paint again; it's just not as good as it used to be. Even the clear coat isn't as good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.