Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb

Wait! What?

Science! Over twice the speed of the wind! Wing-sails! 40+ knots! Hydrofoils! Six tons levitating on little wings! More Science!

USA (Oracle) has won the America's Cup for 2013, against a challenge by New Zealand--a very strong challenge! Highlights are on YouTube, probably linked above.

Still more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all about winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
It's all about winning.

Which, I think, is as it should be for the America's Cup. While maybe there's some element of keeping the Cup in US hands, I have to applaud Larry Ellison for getting the Cup technologically relevant again. Imagine sail-powered (or at least -assisted) container ships. Or cruise ships, for that matter--what waves when you're meters over them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
USA! USA! US...wait, what?! Only one American on board? Started behind because they cheated? Um, I'm losing any sense of excitement here.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2013/09/amer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
It's all about winning.

Which, I think, is as it should be for the America's Cup. While maybe there's some element of keeping the Cup in US hands, I have to applaud Larry Ellison for getting the Cup technologically relevant again. Imagine sail-powered (or at least -assisted) container ships. Or cruise ships, for that matter--what waves when you're meters over them?

Not sure it would work for most types of container ships, so much, as sail is (averaged over trip distance) consistently slower than diesel.

On the other hand, it also has vastly lower fuel costs. So for certain bulk items - grains, perhaps; lumber; fill material; etc - that don't care about the slower trip...

It's certainly something I'd expect to see again, as fuel prices continue to increase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
USA! USA! US...wait, what?! Only one American on board? Started behind because they cheated? Um, I'm losing any sense of excitement here.

I found that article to be somewhat suspect. Like... how dare they use science to make a ship that goes faster!? Seriously? They act as if they just made it expensive for the sake of keeping other people out. No, they made it FAST for the sake of keeping other people out. A) This is true for almost every sport. B) The point is to sail fast. If they're within the rules of the sport, then they should be doing anything and everything to go faster. If the author doesn't like that, they can create a sailing sport that requires stock ships (if it doesn't already exist). Same thing happened to auto racing and several other sports. To each his own, sure, but it doesn't mean the people who are excited by the advance of technology are wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
[...]Imagine sail-powered (or at least -assisted) container ships. Or cruise ships, for that matter--what waves when you're meters over them?

Not sure it would work for most types of container ships, so much, as sail is (averaged over trip distance) consistently slower than diesel.

On the other hand, it also has vastly lower fuel costs. So for certain bulk items - grains, perhaps; lumber; fill material; etc - that don't care about the slower trip... [...]

Is it practical to make a hydrofoil bulk carrier? The foils would have to be strong enough to lift the ship plus load - easier with an ultra-light racer. It would also need to be able to operate without riding the foils in exceptionally difficult conditions - certainly possible, but it would affect costs.

Very nice if it worked though - ships use a lot of fuel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny, I don't really give a damn about the cup itself, and I didn't even watch a full race. (There was a sumo tournament running for the last two weeks.) But those boats are awesome, and the science behind them is really interesting.

Bloody great comeback though. Even if it means a weeks worth of "woe is us" on the TV down here. laugh I'd love to know how they pulled it off. Whether it was tweaking the boat, or the crew just found the right way to work their craft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

Yeah arguably you won because you imported the British Ben Ainslie (from the warmup boat) when it was 6-1 to the Kiwis. Hopefully his dream of getting a British boat to challenge for the cup will pan out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.