United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm looking for something that I haven't seen in any other miniatures game. The idea is that it will simulate a mass battle on a small playing area (maybe 2 or 3 feet square). I'd like the game to be more objective based than just "kill all the enemy units." To give you the feeling of a large army battling it out, all your units should be able to "reinforce" themselves. So if they lose models, they can regain models by moving to a certain spot or something.

Does such a game like this exist? I want to make my own game rules and I'm looking for inspiration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not exactly sure what you mean by the reinforce mechanic but, Nexus Ops hits everything but the "large scale battle feel".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Basically what I mean is that you might start off with a squad of 8 soldiers. They get shot at and 5 die. You retreat with the 3 you have left and are able to bring back the 5 dead ones so you have a full unit of 8 again. So instead of needing dozens of models, I only need a fraction of them because they come in "waves."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think AT-43, which is a little larger scale, has the ability to add reinforcements. Not sure how closely it'll tie into what you're looking for, but some house rules could be in order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eternaldream wrote:
I'm looking for something that I haven't seen in any other miniatures game. The idea is that it will simulate a mass battle on a small playing area (maybe 2 or 3 feet square). I'd like the game to be more objective based than just "kill all the enemy units." To give you the feeling of a large army battling it out, all your units should be able to "reinforce" themselves. So if they lose models, they can regain models by moving to a certain spot or something.

Does such a game like this exist? I want to make my own game rules and I'm looking for inspiration.

Tomorrow's War does have something like that, for the scenarios that require reinforcement waves. Basically, you roll 2D6 and consult a chart to see what shows up at one of 5 "hot spots" on the table. Some of the roll results also instruct you to roll again, so there's potential for more than one group showing up on a turn. This mechanic is not included in most scenarios, but there's nothing stopping you from making up your own scenarios to use it.

This also applies to the modern era game, Force on Force, by the same company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Radford
United Kingdom
Lydney
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Sixes again!
badge
A mighty fish-god am I.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not quite sure what you want, but Malifaux and Alkemy are two of the more heavily objective-based miniature games I can think, and might be worth a butchers, if only for inspiration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Cuchulain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
DropZone Commander maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.