Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Dominion just a few times and that was enough for me to hate it with a passion.

I like pool-building games like Quarriors or even DC Deckbuilding Game so that is something I am attracted to.

But what I hate about Dominion is that so many cards are set up for trying to combo to add actions, card-draws and buys so I usually end up just watching someone build a huge tree out of his whole deck and not caring at all about what he's doing.

Having only watched Tom Vasels review on Youtube I didn't see any hints of this kind of "Let me play for 10 minutes alone doing combos while you just stare" aspect. It actually seemed like you already had infinite buys and actions, but if you get some stupid card-draw-combo working it might be that the multilayer-solitaire is popping up its ugly head in Trains to?
Is Trains free from it (so far)?

(Yes, I know there is some more depth, player interaction and game to Dominion than what I give credit to in the above text)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, considering most of the cards in Trains are clones from Dominion cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually, action chains aren't nearly as well-supported in Trains as they are in Dominion. Card draw is priced expensively (with good reason, given the lack of restriction on actions), and Waste gums up decks, making combos harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On one hand, you can buy as many things and take as many actions as you want, so no need to combo-chain that. On the other hand, the level of Dominion clonage is ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But the fact that action are only limited by cards in hand and there are cards where you can trash waste for more cards, card draw and action chains are pretty well supported in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't much dynamic about the cards in Trains. It is missing all the dynamic awesomeness of Dominion.

Trains has no Action limitation or buy limitation (constricted by money is all). Extra card draws are incidental.

There is possibly a good game here. I will play again a few times, but I think most of the game is on the board and less in the cards. Or perhaps better said, the game is in getting your cards to do what you need to on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who was bored to tears by "watching" other players take their turns and shuffle in Dominion, I will say that this game is safe for you. Turns in this game are significantly quicker and less complex than Dominion. You don't have someone mindlessly droning on about how many buys or actions they have, organizing "action trees" and such. Each player basically dumps their hand on the table and plays out their card actions how they wish.

What you disliked in Dominion, I also disliked. I feel none of that dislike with Trains. It's actually fun. While you may not always care what other people are doing on their turn, turns are too quick for it to affect the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best way to fix the boredom with dominion described in this thread is figure out how to be the player everyone else is watching combo and win :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ezel wrote:
I've played Dominion just a few times and that was enough for me to hate it with a passion.

I like pool-building games like Quarriors or even DC Deckbuilding Game so that is something I am attracted to.

But what I hate about Dominion is that so many cards are set up for trying to combo to add actions, card-draws and buys....

YES!!!!

This is also exactly why I don't like Dominion.. I played with someone who was proficient with counting all his additional actions and buys and more actions.. and I couldn't keep it straight. That was the first and last f2f game of Dominion I've ever played.

I LOVE Trains.. it has none of that. Just do which ever actions and buy whatever cards you want as long as you have the appropriate cards in your hand for them.

Since 'actions' and 'buys' are not limited, there are no such cards with +1 action or +1 buy. There are however, cards that let you draw more cards or discard to draw.. etc.

(At this time)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SD40 wrote:
Ezel wrote:

But what I hate about Dominion is that so many cards are set up for trying to combo to add actions, card-draws and buys....

YES!!!!

This is also exactly why I don't like Dominion.. I played with someone who was proficient with counting all his additional actions and buys and more actions.. and I couldn't keep it straight. That was the first and last f2f game of Dominion I've ever played.

I LOVE Trains.. it has none of that. Just do which ever actions and buy whatever cards you want as long as you have the appropriate cards in your hand for them.

Since 'actions' and 'buys' are not limited, there are no such cards with +1 action or +1 buy. There are however, cards that let you draw more cards or discard to draw.. etc.

(At this time)

So if what bothers you about Dominion is someone counting actions and buys to keep track of them and not really how many buys and actions get used, then Trains is for you. Otherwise stick with Dominion as it is a better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies.

You have restored my faith in the hype of Trains. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
SD40 wrote:
Ezel wrote:

YES!!!!

(At this time)

So if what bothers you about Dominion is someone counting actions and buys to keep track of them and not really how many buys and actions get used, then Trains is for you. Otherwise stick with Dominion as it is a better game.

I do so love how 1/2 of the Dominion fans bash Trains for being an exact clone of Dominion, while the other 1/2 knock the gameplay of the game that copies Dominion. Combined, it is an insult to Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
rickert wrote:
SD40 wrote:
Ezel wrote:

YES!!!!

(At this time)

I do so love how 1/2 of the Dominion fans bash Trains for being an exact clone of Dominion, while the other 1/2 knock the gameplay of the game that copies Dominion. Combined, it is an insult to Dominion.

HUH?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The two primary arguments I keep hearing from Dominion fans:

Dominion fan A: Trains is just a copy of Dominion.
Dominion fan B: Trains is not good.

If Trains is a copy of Dominion, and Trains is not good, then by virtue of logic, Dominion is also not good.

Basically, I'm tired of hearing that Trains is a worse game, but also the same game (albeit from different people). Also lets say it was a thought inspired by your comment and not a direct response to your comment.

Also I'll note that having to write "Trains is not good" is grammatically frustrating, even if correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only said that most Trains card are exact copies of Dominion cards. That makes the big difference is the board. Since I would rather not have the board, that means I like Dominion much better than Trains without giving up the idea that the games are similar in the cards included in Trains. I hope I didn't just make you even more tired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I only said that most Trains card are exact copies of Dominion cards. That makes the big difference is the board. Since I would rather not have the board, that means I like Dominion much better than Trains without giving up the idea that the games are similar in the cards included in Trains. I hope I didn't just make you even more tired.

Really, this can all be summed up as "I am disappointed/angry that Trains isn't as Dominiony as Dominion"

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
rickert wrote:

Really, this can all be summed up as "I am disappointed/angry that Trains isn't as Dominiony as Dominion"

B>

It can be summed up that way although it would be just as accurate as summing up "Gone With the Wind" as a collection of earwax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
rickert wrote:

B>

It can be summed up that way although it would be just as accurate as summing up "Gone With the Wind" as a collection of earwax.

I'm sure you don't like being described as having such a position, but nonetheless, it captures the spirit of almost all the complaints.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
rickert wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
rickert wrote:

B>

I'm sure you don't like being described as having such a position, but nonetheless, it captures the spirit of almost all the complaints.

B>

Just because I don't have that position. I have liked several deckbuilders that aren't Dominion like Nightfall. So I think I can have legitimate reasons to not like Trains as well as Dominion for reasons that have nothing to do with it not being Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonner Purinton
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trains is susceptible to the "long turn" that makes Dominion sometimes boring. With the random cards, sometimes the draw-card-combo is possible. In a recent game, one player ran a combo resulting in his entire deck being in play during a single turn. He did this multiple times. His efforts however cost him in the end as he did not win. A player "almost must" place some rails and stations to have a chance at winning.
That's my two cents. Keep the change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never seen a win with no rails placed but have seen several wins by the person with the fewest rails in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SD40 wrote:

If you hated other parts of the game, then feel free to leave it behind. If it's just a matter of tracking buys... that should be doable. If it's a matter of tracking actions, what helps is have your first action on the left and playing new actions to the right. If you're playing 5 +1 action cards in a row, just literally lay them in a row as you play them. If there's a village (+2 actions) involved, put the subsequent actions to the top right and bottom right of the village as branches. It looks a little intimidating at first and it sounds worse than it is, but this works really well for almost every card (including every card in the base set).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe babbitt
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:

This I do not understand. The scoring in Trains is what makes it superior to Dominion. Every game of Dominion I have ever played, which has been many - I love the game, has broken down to "buy better money, buy point cards, flavor with actions" It's a good system, and a good game. The scoring in Trains forces me to make different decisions, which is awesome. It also suffers considerably less combo turn-clog.

I still love Dominion, and play it regularly. It took one game of Trains for me to figure out I liked it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group absolutely hates Dominion for the reasons the OP stated, but we love Trains. The addition of the board makes it feel like you're building your deck for an actual reason. The addition of Waste to clog your deck makes it less enticing to do forty things on your turn (not that you really can). And the new folks who'd never played a deck-building had just as much fun as the vets.

Trains is great. Give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Moon 420 wrote:
Trains is susceptible to the "long turn" that makes Dominion sometimes boring. With the random cards, sometimes the draw-card-combo is possible. In a recent game, one player ran a combo resulting in his entire deck being in play during a single turn. He did this multiple times. His efforts however cost him in the end as he did not win. A player "almost must" place some rails and stations to have a chance at winning.

Yeah, this is why I like Trains better than Dominion. It's not just that there's a board to add a tactical layer -- and more interaction -- to your deck machinery; it's that you can't ignore that board and just try to build some isolated self-perpetuating engine. Your deck has to be constructed for the board and its changing circumstance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.