Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Cloaking Device, Alliances, and Pinning rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Persechini
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
How does pinning work when allies, one of which has cloaking device, and one of which does not, come into play? Let's say I'm Player A, allied with Player B, who has cloaking device. We want to move ships through a hex with Player C's ships in it. Let's say he has 3 ships. If I have three ships in there and my ally moves his ship (with cloaking device) in, can I move out two of my ships? Since Player B's one ship is worth two, and one of my ships is worth one, my second and third ships could move out of the hex, by that logic. However, Player C could argue that he can pin my three ships and leave Player B's one ship unpinned (which is obviously to his advantage typically). I don't have the rule book with me right now, but I remember it being sort of ambiguous in this situation. Essentially it comes down to, do the pinners or the pinnees decide who is pinned in a situation where it could affect number of ships pinned (cloaking device is the only thing that would create this situation I believe).

We ended up deciding that the players trying to move out of the hex got to use cloaking device to their full advantage, since the pinner usually can't decide which ships he pins in particular, allowing you to say, move in an interceptor to unpin your dreadnought. So, by this logic, the ally with cloaking device is using his ship to occupy two of the opponent's pinning ships and unpin two of his allies ships without cloaking device, which seems like a roughly analogous situation.

That ended being very wordy, sorry.

Essentially: if I do not have cloaking device and my ally does, can we assume that my ally's ships are pinned first, leading to a more favorable pinning ratio for us, or that my ships are pinned first, leading to a more favorable pinning ratio for the person trying to pin us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your ally's ships aren't worth 2, 2 ships are required to pin each of his ships. So your opponent has 3 ships you move in your 3 ships they are all pinned. At this moment your ally can move through (he could move through if you only moved in 2 ships because of the cloak). But if he stays in, you can only move a single ship out (because your 2 ships and your ally match up with your 3 enemy's ships).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can move out two ships.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/901111/cloaking-device-a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.