Hide
4 Posts

Thunderstone: Starter Set» Forums » General

Subject: Thunderstone vs. Thunderstone Advance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
First Last
msg tools
Though I've looked, I haven't been able to find a clear explanation regarding how Thunderstone differs from Thunderstone Advance. Can someone enlighten me please (or post a link that does)? Basically, I'm trying to decide whether to buy this starter set or regular Thunderstone.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thunderstone Advance is basically the reboot / 2nd edition of Thunderstone. It is backwards compatible (mostly, with some caveats), but the original Thunderstone and expansions are out of print and all new expansions are designed to work with Advance. There seems to be widespread agreement that Advance is better / more streamlined than the original. Having had both, that's certainly my opinion. If I were starting out fresh now, I'd go for Advance 100%.

Note that the first Advance set was Towers of Ruin. It comes with a board, tokens, and different cards (aside from the starting hands) than the starter set. The starter set is geared towards new players who want to gain experience in the game without quite the expense. However, folks familiar with both seem to think that Towers of Ruin is both a better deal, and more interesting than the Starter Set.

Thunderstone Numenera is also releasing soon and will be standalone / compatible with the other Advance sets if that appeals.

There were definitely comparisons / reviews in Towers of Ruin if you want to see more details.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First Last
msg tools
Thanks a lot, Joshua! That was exactly what I wanted to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The starter set is compatible with the Thunderstone Advance base sets. it uses the same language templates, components and other things. That said, I'd start with a base set rather than the starter. More variety, better components for sorting and organizing, the board and better rule book. The starter set is a nice mini-expansion, but IMHO they didn't pitch it right as a 'starter'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.