Subject: sweet merciful crap, it's ANOTHER Reaper Bones KS!!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Active now!!!

The sound you just heard was the collective wailing of wallets from coast to coast and beyond.
http://www.reapermini.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Francis
United States
Portsmouth
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, not sure I can find the storage space for another Bones KS whistle

This should be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen G Roy
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And three days before Mantic's Mars Attacks KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was done in harder plastic rather than PVC I'd probably be more interested. I gave away 1/2 of my vampire box as the minis were not what I thought they should be... some were very nice, some were less than so so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up just selling my $85 worth of bones for $240 on Ebay. I may do this one if its good enough value and then decide if I want to keep it later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen G Roy
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone want the space guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The sad part's knowing that, by the time the KS2 mini's arrive, I *still* won't have finished painting my KS1 mini's!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Just started at 10AM today, and in 15 minutes there are already over 1000 backers.

surprise surprise surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen G Roy
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doubled backers from 631 in like ten minutes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1 hour, $300,000+
At least Reaper learned from the last time & set a decent timeframe for delivery & simplified the options.
(Not to mention the Early Bird shipments are already gone.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind these are all coming in baggies (not clam shells) tossed loosely in a box and they are not going to support retailers at all. This has potential to be an industry changing precedent. Game Stores & Distributors are being cut out of the supply chain.

Not saying that's bad for the consumer immediately... but game changers like this can catch on and soon there is no local game store for you to play at or by your paint from or meet others...

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGShop wrote:
Keep in mind these are all coming in baggies (not clam shells) tossed loosely in a box and they are not going to support retailers at all. This has potential to be an industry changing precedent. Game Stores & Distributors are being cut out of the supply chain.

Not saying that's bad for the consumer immediately... but game changers like this can catch on and soon there is no local game store for you to play at or by your paint from or meet others...

James

This is partially true.

Myself:
I don't currently play games at my FLGS (would love to do so, but too busy)
I don't typically buy games directly from my FLGS (I mostly buy games through Kickstarter, Amazon, or, once a year, I may buy from CSI)
I don't really paint miniatures.
I am not a grognard and don't really play miniature games (I have Space Hulk--and painted the pieces--but that was an exception).

So really, the Reaper Bones Kickstarter didn't steal my business from anyone...because nobody ever had my business in this particular niche. Which means (for me), this kickstarter is helping the hobby and not hurting any local game store owners.

Matter of fact, if I ever choose to paint these minis (like I said, I have no time...but I have a 1 year old son and might someday paint the figures with him), then I will buy paint from my FLGS. So, again, this project is indirectly driving my business to the FLGS.

I realize that's not true for everyone (probably not even true for the majority of people), but it's worth noting that (in some small way) these things can help the hobby and/or local game store owner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
Those Masters Series paints can be used directly on the Bones minis without needing a primer coat. Just pledging a $1 and picking up those paints as an add-on is a really good deal if you plan on painting anything from the last KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neuro researcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have literally gotten nothing done at work today; it's amazing to watch the money flow into this campaign (and out of my wallet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
RPGShop wrote:
This has potential to be an industry changing precedent. Game Stores & Distributors are being cut out of the supply chain.
I see your concern, but I think of it like this:
Existing minis fans will jump on this KS much like the last KS, but so will a fair amount of brand new minis fans that have never set foot in a store. And once those newly-minted minis fans want more minis, or paints, or brushes, or bases, or flocking, or anything minis-related, that's where the FLMS (Friendly Local Minis Store) sees the windfall.

Not to mention that once this money bomb enables these new Bones to get cranked out, you will see them in carded clamshell form available to any/all retailers. So I think retailers will eventually benefit from this as time goes on & this product makes its way to stores. It was barely a year ago when you were lucky to find 10 Reaper Bones at an OLGS like Miniature Market, and many were frequently out-of-stock. Now go to MM and see 230+ Reaper Bones, all in stock and ready to be bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Missed this last time around. Just in time for Wave 3 shipping.

We're only just getting into Pathfinder here, so these will be great fodder. And I can sell off some of what we don't want to recoup part or possibly all of the price. Though I expect more people will get in on this, so supply/demand won't be the same as it was last time on the secondary market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone (not me) created a figure count spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At7GlvSN5zL3dDR...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
overtheboard wrote:

Anyone remember what the count for the Vampire level from the last KS was at about the same level of funding?

With 800k already pledged the current count is only 134 for $100.

That's a hell of a lot less than the 240 they shipped for only $75 last time around.

Not implying this isn't a good deal, but at a glance it's not looking like anywhere near the insane deal the first one was?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGShop wrote:

From the FAQ:

Quote:
When we begin fulfillment of this new KS we will create a retail store rack package based and discounted on the KS results. (Something similar to the Vampire set where the retail price is 567.00 and we retail it for 324.00) At that time we will solicit this rack deal through distribution for retail stores. No commitment by any retail store or distributor will be required to purchase a rack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
What is the quality like for these models? I skipped out on the last kickstarter, but this one has more stuff that I want. The price is right even if the delivery is a looooong way off, but if they are horrid quality then I might cancel my pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
overtheboard wrote:

Anyone remember what the count for the Vampire level from the last KS was at about the same level of funding?

That's a hell of a lot less than the 240 they shipped for only $75 last time around.

Not implying this isn't a good deal, but at a glance it's not looking like anywhere near the insane deal the first one was?

Interesting question. I just checked my old emails (for all the KS updates). At the $1M mark it was up to 'Pirates' on the picture (183 minis by my count), when this one hits $1M and the Hatchlings gets added this one will have 140 minis.
It's not exactly a like for like comparison, as the first KS included a set of 36 small guys at start, and didn't include the larger critters like the griffon or the giants until nearer the end.

Still, I've made a list of the last few upgrades so I'm going to track the upgrades to the core set from here in. Also interesting to see what the 'core set expansion' looks like at the end, and if it starts to take away from upgrades to the core set.

Edit: The figure count in that spreadsheet seems to be off. I count 54 minis in the core set and 5 in the dungeon monsters, he has 53 and 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus O'Toole
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
What is the quality like for these models? I skipped out on the last kickstarter, but this one has more stuff that I want. The price is right even if the delivery is a looooong way off, but if they are horrid quality then I might cancel my pledge.

The quality varies a bit between the models, and the details aren't as well defined as they are on the same figure in metal. Most noticeably on the faces of some of them. Overall though they're good and I'm inclined to get in on this KS despite still having a massive pile of unpainted plastic from the last one (as well as my massive pile of unpainted metal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
NuMystic wrote:

It's somewhat misleading to compare mini quantity counts. For instance, included in the 240 the first time around were:

12 small kobolds
12 tiny rats
12 small goblins
12 tiny vermin (spiders, beetles, etc.)
12 tiny familiars (bat, cat, etc.)

This time around the variety is greater with a larger % of what I would call "usable stuff." And last time, the further the pledges went, the more heroes & unique sculpts were unlocked. So we may not hit 240 (or we may) but I see a better % of "usable stuff" already with this bunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
NuMystic wrote:

It's somewhat misleading to compare mini quantity counts. For instance, included in the 240 the first time around were:

12 small kobolds
12 tiny rats
12 small goblins
12 tiny vermin (spiders, beetles, etc.)
12 tiny familiars (bat, cat, etc.)

This time around the variety is greater with a larger % of what I would call "usable stuff." And last time, the further the pledges went, the more heroes & unique sculpts were unlocked. So we may not hit 240 (or we may) but I see a better % of "usable stuff" already with this bunch.

I hear you, but the last update absolutely confirms the trend that others have already noted, the focus on stretch goals is most definitely more paid add ons and less free additions to the core set.

From 800k to 1.29M (a 1/2 million stretch) 30 minis in a wide variety of scales have been added that you need to pay extra for and only 4 small ones were added to the free core set.

Again, I'm absolutely not suggesting this is a bad deal, but unless there's a pretty big turnaround in the stretch goal focus there's no way we're going to have anywhere near as outrageous an objective value as we did last time for a mere $75.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Its also misleading to say it was $75 last time.
It was the same $100.
It came with a metal motorcycle Sophie that a lot of people traded out - either for the case, or one or two of the huge minis...
but it was still $100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.