2 Posts

DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A Noob's review of DC Comics Deck-Building Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Perreau
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
First let me start with a little bit about myself. I've always enjoyed board games, as a kid I played games like pokemon cards, yu-gi-oh, globetrotters, escape from Colditz, and heroclix. It was only recently that I discovered the hidden realm of the infinite board game choices. In the last 3 months, I've tried as many board games as I can and I've begun to grow my collection with (In order of purchase) DC comics Deck-Building Game, Marvel Legendary, Mage Knight, Dungeon Lords and their associated expansions.

This review is intended to give readers an inexperience player's opinion about the game.

First Impressions

As this was my first introduction to the theme of deck-building, I absolutely loved it(the game and deck-building). The simplistic mechanics of the game (in comparison to Marvel Legendary) makes it not only easy for me to pick it up on my own, but also made it very easy for teaching others. This game today remains my go-to introduction game for casuals. Why this is a good introductory game as well is that on a typical 3-4 player game, it will take anytime from 30-60mins, it normally does not drag.

The game is easy to pick up and is quite light but also offers players some critical thinking. All players start with the same deck, but different character card which offers you bonuses. From there you try to choose the best cards for your deck in order to gain the most victory points. The idea is to choose cards that offer you the best combination leading to combo's, bonuses, and keeping ahead of the pack! Cards offer some player interaction but is mostly about building your deck to be the best.

Artwork & Quality

Absolutely amazing, it was easy on the eyes and brings great and some unique art of your favourite superheros & villians. This is one aspect of the game many won't be disappointed in.

If you're looking for a game that makes you feel like a superhero. This is not it. Although created in the likeness of the heroes and villians, the game does not expand to more than collecting the best cards you can afford.

The game does not offer more than what it is. There are just so many good combos to work with and the best cards are as the best cards. Once all players are familiar with this, it's a no-brainer and the experience of the game will diminish. But with that said, luck and people will still make the game as enjoyable as it can be.

This game is about a 3 out of 5 for me. Although simplistic in nature, the game offers just enough for me to pull it out from time to time to play with my buddies, especially when we don't want something too light or heavy.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
flag msg tools
that's pretty much how i feel. I wish it was a bit weightier but yeah.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.