United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could win a copy of 1989!

Congratulations to 2013 League Champion Daniel Dunbring, who defeated co-Finalist Chris Linneman in dramatic fashion, 3 games to 2.

Now it's time to crown a new champion. Come see how you stack up against the best 1989 players, or learn the game and just have fun!

How to Join

If you'd like to join a Wargameroom.com league, send an e-mail to brucewig@hotmail.com, or leave a post in the Wargameroom.com folder in the Consimworld Discussion Board (Computers and PBEM Gaming) stating which league you'd like to join (1989).

All players who complete the entire season without a forfeit will be entered in a drawing at the end of the season for a free copy of 1989: Dawn of Freedom published by GMT Games!

Don't think about it too long, the league begins October 28!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do it. You will not regret it. Wargameroom leagues are fantastically run, and the competition is great. Last year's 1989 league was my first ever WGR league and I had a blast (and also managed to finish over .500 despite only learning the game just before the league started).

On another note, Bruce, beware, because I'm out for revenge for knocking me out last season...

As a side note, consistently losing to Chris Linneman is a great way to get better. I played about 15 games with him last summer and only won one, but I learned a ton of new tricks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciek U
United States
Cromwell
Connecticut
flag msg tools
How does this work? Do people play online? Do they meet somewhere live by arranging a place and time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greengow wrote:
How does this work? Do people play online? Do they meet somewhere live by arranging a place and time?

You will play people over the internet using the wargameroom program. You will meet your opponents in the wargameroom chat room. You can visit www.wargameroom.com and click on the link for downloads to download the i1989 program. You can go to the chat room to meet other players. Someone there will be glad to help teach you how to use the program. You will need the latest version of java.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we play by email?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, unfortunately, that's not allowed. Each session, though, is capped at 2 hour and 30 minutes due to the league default of 1 hour and fifteen minutes per player. (The time is adjustable by mutual consent.) I can tell you, though, that most games do not take that long. My games are generally closer to an hour and a half or an hour and 45 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bit worried about the time difference playing in Australia - can I manage 6am or 11pm games? Anyone else from Aust/NZ play in these leagues and manage OK finding a mutal time against US opponents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are one or two other people who play in WGR leagues out of Australia (and, it's worth noting, one has won the 1960 league). I doubt you'd have to play at 6 am, and you could probably avoid starting at 11 pm. There is a mechanism called a personal Deadline Event whereby, if you're behind in games, you can choose your own time to play, announce it, and then let other people show up (or you'll be excused from a game. (Additionally, by the way, there are even more people from comparable time zones in Asia.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioan Mitiu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to join too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any updates on this? Like how many people have signed up or when games will be announced? I sent an email a week or two ago but have not heard anything in response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the league web page.

http://wargameroom.com/i1989l.htm

We have 9 sign ups so far. I don't see your name on the list so I will follow up with Bruce on that.

League begins 10/28.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
There is a mechanism called a personal Deadline Event whereby, if you're behind in games, you can choose your own time to play, announce it, and then let other people show up (or you'll be excused from a game.

That worked against me last time. I sent out emails to all my opponents in an attempt to schedule a time, but very few got back to me. (You got back to me, Max!). I suspect that most people just went online and randomly found their opponents? I never figured that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Wigdor
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Quote:
That worked against me last time. I sent out emails to all my opponents in an attempt to schedule a time, but very few got back to me.

Michael, the Deadline Events are what you do when the above fails. You can announce to the league (via the league mailing list) an official and binding time when you will be on line and available to play (at least 48 hours in advance). At that time, anyone in the league who shows up can play you, even if they are not on your schedule. The game counts for both players and they each have a random game removed from their schedules.

If no one shows up at your Deadline Event, you are excused. One game is randomly removed from your schedule, and you get credit for a game played, even though it doesn't register on your record. The leagues are decided by win/loss percentage, so all other things being equal this neither helps nor hurts you.

In addition to allowing people to schedule their own Deadline Events, there is an automatic Deadline Event at 8 PM USA Eastern Time on the Sunday that games are due. Basically, if you don't schedule a Deadline Event of your own, the league automatically declares one for you at the last possible moment.

Some more details can be found at www.wargameroom.com/matchup.htm. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, Bruce. Message sent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkiefte wrote:
[q="MD1616"]That worked against me last time. I sent out emails to all my opponents in an attempt to schedule a time, but very few got back to me. (You got back to me, Max!). I suspect that most people just went online and randomly found their opponents? I never figured that out.

I generally use both approaches but lean towards the latter. Oftentimes, I try to catch the WGR regulars first by randomly meeting them in the chatroom, and then after a little while I send emails to people I don't know or haven't seen lately. (I do respond to emails during that time though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioan Mitiu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1989Game wrote:
Here is the league web page.

http://wargameroom.com/i1989l.htm

Riku isn't in the list ? Interesting ...

Which will be the method - each will play against everyone ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a copy of what I sent on 9/28. Is there something else I need to do that I am missing?

Subject: 1989 Wargameroom league request

Hello,

Emailing in response to a boardgamegeek link (here> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1045673/signups-open-for...). I am a noob with wargameroom, although very familiar with vassal. I have installed the files.

Thanks,
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably alright. It seems that Bruce just hasn't updated the list in a while...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I missed the cut as today is the start and I have yet to hear from anyone. Its weird, I like the game but I have yet to find anyone - including at game stores, BGG, two conventions, vassal, wargameroom, etc - that wants to play.

It is the CDG equivalent of the fountain of youth.

Ah well, best of luck to those that made the league.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul, I am up for a game via vassal or in wargameroom if you want to message me. Also I am in the wargameroom chat room most evenings. You can also message Bruce to make sure he added you to the league. The league has been delayed 2 weeks. It now begins Armistice Day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.