Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2013/09/25/star-trek-attack-win...

At first, I was a little leery about the 3 attack on the ship, since it seemed pretty low for the ship class that gave the Federation such a beating. But then, I looked at the special ability, and all the crew, weapon, and tech upgrades that come with it, and I saw the synergy. It seems like a really powerful combination, and I can't wait to see it in action.

Without further ado, my thoughts on each card:

5th Wing Patrol Ship: As I said, the attack value seemed low to me at first, but then I realized that if it were any higher, it'd be broken after applying all its combos. The other stats seem pretty much perfect. The fact that it can use the Battle stations action makes each die more valuable, and its special ability is excellent. Overall, a solid ship, and it will likely be the strongest ship in the Dominion fleet (and rightly so).

Weyoun: While self-sacrifice didn't at first seem to be a theme appropriate to Weyoun, his dedication to the Dominion can, and has, called for him to take that course. I approve of his ability, and his skill rating seems appropriate as well. As a side note, his ability really encourages the use of secondary weapons, such as the Phased Polaron Beam. You don't often see any such encouragement in other factions, which more or less have to take the secondary weapons at face-value.

Luaran: Eh... If you're already using Weyoun elsewhere, I guess she's better than the default 0-cost captains. Kinda lackluster, though, since it's effectively a 3-skill captain for 1 cost. Still, I don't foresee ever fielding her when I have other options.

Toman'torax and Virak'kara: These two are the "upgrade counter" cards for this particular branch of the dominion, and they're pretty standard fare, except that they don't require either ship to lose their shields, and the latter actually allows you to "steal" an enemy action. Pretty cool. Still, not sure if I'll actually end up using them most of the time. Virak'kara seems more valuable to me than Toman'torax, even though they cost the same.

Omet'iklan: Good crew upgrade is good. An automatic hit every time you attack with your primary weapon is definitely something I want to have. I'm a little disappointed that Omet'iklan isn't a captain, since he's the highest ranking Jem'hadar on his ship, but I see their theme is that only Vorta (and, presumably, Founders) are captains, while Jem'hadar are all crew.

Phased Polaron Beam: At face-value, it's the weakest secondary weapon in the game (tied with the Breen weapon). However, it completely bypasses shields. This makes it especially brutal against Federation targets, which don't (usually) use cloaking devices. Add to this the fact that the ship can give you one extra attack die, and Omet'iklan gives you an auto-hit, and this can actually be a game-winningly vicious attack.

Suicide Attack: Oh. My. Gosh. This card is the most thematically perfect card I've seen in this game. It's super-dangerous, and can easily threaten to one-shot a ship with its shields down. I will be running this card on every Jem'hadar ship I play.

Long Range Tachyon Scan: Hmm... It's nice. It's cheap, and its effective for its cost, but the Jem'hadar Attack Ship can only have one tech upgrade, so that means I have to choose between this and Suicide Attack. I think we all know how that choice is going to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1

Agreed. The developers absolutely nailed this ship perfectly. Very much gives you a feel of being a Jem'hadar attack ship. The suicide card is especially and exceedingly well done.

My Klingons look forward to the hard exciting battles against the dominion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I'm probably going to field a bunch of them. I'll be the one running the long ranged tachyon scan, because the wording on it has it for the whole round, so the first ship gives -2 to their defenses, and then the next one puts them to -4, and so on. Wrecks cloaked ships, and if they don't cloak there's a polaron beam waiting. The trick is to keep a couple at ranged 3, if only to make the other 2 charging it that much more hurtful.

As 1 more heads up, Omat'Iklan only works on primary weapons, so when you wanted him with the polaron beam, that doesn't exactly work.

This will definately bring the dominion up in the competitive play, can't wait to see the jem'haddar battle cruiser that's coming in wave 3, in like febuary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with what has been said, while it isn't overpowering stat-wise you have to take that suicidal attack card into consideration.

Granted I think the Defiant and Sisko's cards are right on the mark while others disagree.

Would've been nice to have the battleship come out sooner though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm increasingly happy about this the more I think it through, but I do feel like the Dominion just doesn't have good captains. There's Sar and Thot Gor who's basically to be used to make the Gor Portas fit. The skill 3 Cardassian captain is ok, and I'm not quite sure when I'd want to use Gul Ranor except to get a Galor out of range quickly. So when most people are going to be running Picard, Martok, and Donatra, there's a decent chance I'm going to lose a ship before it gets to shoot. So just to stay alive I've got to bust up my Dominion theme and throw Terrel in there.

As far as squad building, four of these could be terrific. But I'm having a hard time coming up with good combinations of two of them with Galors and Breen ships for 100 pts, particularly one of the bugs is probably going down in the first exchange before shooting.

At the moment, the idea of having to use the Breen and Galor in the constricted space of OP2 has me thinking I need to play another faction that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PenguinBonaparte wrote:
the Dominion just doesn't have good captains.

They don't. Weyoun is decent, but I assume we'll just have to wait for the Founders before the Dominion gets to shoot first.

It's especially bad for the Breen ship, because that Energy Dissipator Weapon only prevents the target from attacking if it has a lower captain skill than the attacker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a Changeling captain card that can count as any faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Thot Gor is really good for that one ship, but we need one who gets some sort of squadron buff and a skill of 7 or 8 just so there's one ship we can guarantee will shoot before dying. I vote for Iggy Pop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a thought... We haven't seen Gul Dukat yet. He should be to the Dominion what Picard is to the Federation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.