Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was chatting to a collegue at work and the topic of board games came up (not sure who mentioned that...whistle). Anyway I said to him if he ever needed advice on finding a good board game just ask me... And for the first time ever at work he actually had a need!

He's got an eight year old daughter who can be a bit of a daydreamer, a creative sort so he would like to find one or two games that uses Memory, and keeps her focus on the game.

Needs to be playable with 2 - 3 players.

The only ones I've thought of are the following (memory games aren't usually my thing and I don't have a kid to test things on):

Jungle Speed
Sleeping Queens (I don't think this quite has enough memory mechanic but maybe)
Mamma Mia / Sole Mio. I describe it to him and he could be interested (and today I accidentally found a FLGS with a copy of Sole Mio too).

Could you give your opinions on the above plus suggest more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a copy of Magic Labyrinth, I'd go with that. Its a solid kids game that has memory as one of its core mechanics. Check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dannydeuce wrote:
If you can find a copy of Magic Labyrinth, I'd go with that. Its a solid kids game that has memory as one of its core mechanics. Check it out!

I will look into it, though it's not one I've ever seen for sale in New Zealand... But I don't often look at the kids section so I could be completely wrong laugh thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Shadows over Camelot: The Card Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Rexburg
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkeyland is one of the best pure memory games I know of! It looks like it is strictly for kids but it is challenging for all ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'll throw out the obvious.....concentration, uses a regular deck of cards and you gotta remember which cards are where to get a match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhianna_ wrote:
He's got an eight year old daughter who can be a bit of a daydreamer, a creative sort so he would like to find one or two games that uses Memory, and keeps her focus on the game.

I would challenge that conclusion. That sounds like something a non-gamer would say. A game doesn't need a memory element to keep a kid engaged.

In fact I would posit that game that have memory as a key element would be a terrible choice for someone prone to daydreaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
rhianna_ wrote:

I would challenge that conclusion. That sounds like something a non-gamer would say. A game doesn't need a memory element to keep a kid engaged.

In fact I would posit that game that have memory as a key element would be a terrible choice for someone prone to daydreaming.

It is not a fix for daydreaming, I checked with him about that. I don't know the girl and only have a basic outline on what he is looking for, so I'm putting together a list of games that have memory as a component. My collegue will research the games himself from the links I provide. I think he is also looking for something that won't bore the adults to tears as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Mamma Mia!. A very simple card game about you making pizza ingredients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tan shiyang
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Hanabi are the first one that pop up in my mind,you should have a look at it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shiyang wrote:

*face palm* I've played that one!! And you are right, a really good choice.

*rummages around NZ online stores* and seems to be sold out in New Zealand at the moment. Though I don't think ordering overseas would be a problem for someone in the procurement field laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lightstorm wrote:

Interesting choice, will throw this one on the list, though I suspect a person that hasn't had exposure to our sort of games it might seem a bit too different. But that is for him to decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhianna_ wrote:
It is not a fix for daydreaming, I checked with him about that. I don't know the girl and only have a basic outline on what he is looking for, so I'm putting together a list of games that have memory as a component. My collegue will research the games himself from the links I provide.

So no explanation for why the game needs a memory component?

rhianna_ wrote:
I think he is also looking for something that won't bore the adults to tears as well

Another reason to question the need for memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
dannydeuce wrote:

definately this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also selecting the category Memory and then sorting by rank will show you a lot of options. Then you can search your FLGS for them. For example, Hanabi is ranked 1st and Magic Labyrinth is ranked 3rd in the memory category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rhianna_ wrote:
shiyang wrote:

*face palm* I've played that one!! And you are right, a really good choice.

*rummages around NZ online stores* and seems to be sold out in New Zealand at the moment. Though I don't think ordering overseas would be a problem for someone in the procurement field laugh

There are also a couple of re-makes in the files section of Hanabi - we printed out the tropical fish version in order to test out whether the game would work for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must suggest my Wilde Meuterei here.

It´s a memory game about pirates distributing thier loot.
And as the situation changes every turn, you have to stay focusd on the game all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
For a memory game for 2+ players (best with 3) I'd recommend the fortune-teller themed Divinare.

for 3+ players (best with 4+) I'd recommend the Aladdin-ish treasure-hunting themed Sidibaba.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Clarke
Australia
Melbourne
Vic
flag msg tools
www.unhalfbricking.com
badge
EuroGamer since 1980, & online games retailer since 2003
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent game, though not sure if it is still available is Ahoy by Cwali. Fun for any age, but clearly a memory game & fun for kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zozzle appears in many varieties and is challenging enough for adults.

Dawn Under, I played this once or twice and it has a strong memo element and is a hoot, very funny game.

As a mechanism, memo is often used in German games. It seems to be used as a serious mechanism by many designers. Sometimes it's just having a look at something which is then moved around. I think Vanished! is like that. Of course, Memo is played seriously in Germany, they used to have a big tournament at Essen years back, but that's died out now. Just search on the word memo and you'll get a ton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique G.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Chicken Cha Cha or Enchanted Forest.

I bit off topic (no memory involved).
Another children's game that might be of interest is Catan Junior. It keeps the kids constantly involved in the game by being alert to the dice results and getting resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
Magic Labyrinth is fantastic!

Not a memory game, but since you mentioned Jungle Speed, you should check out Pick-a-Pig or Ghost Blitz. Great for dexterity and pattern recognition. Also fast paced enough to keep her attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely check out HERO versus GUARDIAN: A Game of Dungeon Craft

You can play the dungeon master and she can play the heroes and you can make it easy as you want on her. Then progresively make it more challenging. Eventually she might want to try being the dungeon master.

Artwork is very child whimsey too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
rhianna_ wrote:
It is not a fix for daydreaming, I checked with him about that. I don't know the girl and only have a basic outline on what he is looking for, so I'm putting together a list of games that have memory as a component. My collegue will research the games himself from the links I provide.

So no explanation for why the game needs a memory component?

rhianna_ wrote:
I think he is also looking for something that won't bore the adults to tears as well

Another reason to question the need for memory.

I kinda agree too. Sounds typical of what a non gamer would say who wants something that has an educational component but is only familiar with the plethora of boring memory games on the Walmart shelf. There are many games that have analytical thinking that don't require memorization at the core. Memorization is a low order brain process to begin with. You sure this is what he really wants?

The games being recommended are good though because they require more than memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is why I'm looking for games that Memory is an element of, how else can I show that there is more to board games than the mass market stuff.

I am not going to force my gamer views on him, rather I will find something that fits what he asks for plus more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.