Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Storm» Forums » Rules

Subject: Brute: Requesting full rules breakdown rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Amaranth
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I am at a complete loss how this guy works and my group cannot come to a consensus.

Offense as Brute, home planet of the defense denies, wtf happens? Does the colony get stripped of ships? And if so, I really don't see any way the Brute ISN'T broken. O.o;

Please give me some detailed examples of how things end up working as offense, defense, etc. But primarily with Brute as offense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brute draws an Encounter with Green, points the warp gate at one of Green's planets, with four ships.

Brute and Green ask for allies.

Brute may (may!) use his power on Green or one of Green's allies. In this case we'll assume it's on Green himself.

If he does, Green gets to choose whether he is threatened or not.

Green either

1) Hands over his hand of cards and Brute takes one of them, meaning that Brute can pretty much guarantee a victory here, unless he has sent less ships, Green has significant allies, Reinforcements or other helpful cards.

2) Loses the four ships from this colony, which go to his other colonies. This means that Brute will be stripping away at his power. The encounter continues as if Brute had attacked a planet with zero ships.

Is this horrendous? Of course. Is this hilariously broken? I don't actually know at this point. Fortunately, with Cosmic it's extremely easy to take out powers that you don't like (if you decide that this is stupid), and this won't hurt the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People already commented about how broken this power seem to be. The power as offense might not be the strongest/most annoying facet. Many people complained how drawing the Brute's color as offense usually means you get no colony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
For my money, it's one of the very worst of all 135 powers published by FFG. Drawing Brute's color is not remotely fun in any way, since you are virtually guaranteed to lose the encounter, or possibly "win" it but lose your ships and gain no colony.

It is what Gerald Katz calls a "bad annoying" power, and an unusually terrible design; would never hit the table in my house even if I someday decided to buy this expansion. Many aliens are disliked for diverse reasons by various segments of the player base, but Brute probably tops the charts, and truly earns the contempt it receives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Parva
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I keep hearing reports of how overpowered and broken the Brute appears. I agree, it's definitely on the *extreme* end of the OP side.

But what amazes me is that during the playtest process, I seem to recall reading playtester feedback and suggestions which lead to this particular version. Granted, the version in the final product is the only one I remember actually seeing, so if this is what the playtesters supported and recommended, I can only imagine what it must have been like earlier in the process.

Personally, it feels like a half-formed idea to me. There's a kernel of an interesting idea in there, but it was terribly executed, in my opinion. Which is really too bad, because I love the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
parva wrote:
But what amazes me is that during the playtest process, I seem to recall reading playtester feedback and suggestions which lead to this particular version. Granted, the version in the final product is the only one I remember actually seeing, so if this is what the playtesters supported and recommended, I can only imagine what it must have been like earlier in the process.

When the alien that would ultimately become Brute was first presented to the QA testers, it was a different effect with a different name. Over time it got redesigned, twice; so there were at least three entirely different effects. By the time we received the last version, we were running out of time and (not speaking for anyone else here) I was very fatigued both analytically and emotionally from the long, hard work of researching and pushing for improvements. I have to assume that the final rewrites didn't get a lot of actual playtesting opportunity and, given what we had been through, my own analytical calibration was probably faulty: I was mostly in a last-ditch wordsmithing mode, and detecting effects that were too strong had not exactly been a pressing need up to that point. So I have to admit that the NPE potential inherent in this new effect flew under my radar.

Seems fair, then, to say that we QA testers dropped the ball on Brute. I'm not really surprised it happened; judging by the communications I saw, it seemed that many of us were pretty worn out by the end of the process. But we should have caught it.

Anyway, all of that to say that your conclusion (half-formed idea, poorly executed) seems to ring true. If I recall correctly, it was really one of the last pieces of content developed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
The brokenness of Brute was definitely noticed by the playtesters and was communicated to the developers. Apparently, this feedback was ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The thread title is appropriate because "full breakdown" is probably the most accurate possible description of Brute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.