Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you intentionally ruin someone's plans? How often does a groan-inducing painful backstab of a move happen in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that often. You hose people through bidding, taking the character or location they wanted, etc. Pretty straight-forward predictable stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you hose someone, how hosed are they? Are there a lot of slightly-less-good options for them or will they have to settle for much less? How rich are the options?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can feel painful, but it never feels like intentionally ruining someone's plans or backstabbing. It's always directly furthering one's self-interest.

If you're looking for a low-luck game with ruining someone's plan, look no further than Vanuatu. We've had players quit and almost break down playing that. And the beauty is that you can intentionally completely wreck someone, while maintaining a guise of looking out for yourself. Quite delicious. But painful when you're on the wrong end of the stick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! The comparisons to Power Grid were very attractive to me, and I enjoy market-style mechanics for the ability to jut wreck someone else's day by jacking up the price on things they need to buy or tanking the thing they want to sell. Was hoping there might be some similar stuff here, but thought that the delay in price fluctuation might put a bit of a damper on that kind of tactic, making it more reacting and planning around trends than actively manipulating it to screw up someone's current turn. Reading reviews, that does seem like the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
If one could actually buy things and dump them, it would be oh so cruel. Without this, it's much harder to really ruin a market for another player. However, you can put some sweat on their brows with a couple well executed trades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CyberGarp wrote:
If one could actually buy things and dump them, it would be oh so cruel. Without this, it's much harder to really ruin a market for another player. However, you can put some sweat on their brows with a couple well executed trades.

You can buy things and toss them away. If you buy more than you can store, you discard them without adjusting the supply. See the FFG rules, page 18, under 'Buy'.
This is also in the older rules on page 11: 'When buying more than you can store, the excess is transferred immediately to the IPF. They cannot be temporarily stored, but can still be bought.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:
CyberGarp wrote:

You can buy things and toss them away. If you buy more than you can store, you discard them without adjusting the supply. See the FFG rules, page 18, under 'Buy'.
This is also in the older rules on page 11: 'When buying more than you can store, the excess is transferred immediately to the IPF. They cannot be temporarily stored, but can still be bought.'

Yes, and in our local games this is not terribly unusual. Depending who is perceived as ahead, its common to come to the market and folks have completely exhausted that resource you needed. (And if its water, you're screwed.)

I disagree with the early answers in this thread. I think Planet Steam has a lot of ways you can really screw up another player. But I like it all the more for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
How mean/cruel is this game?

It once called my mom fat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
How mean/cruel is this game?

It once called my mom fat.

That's flat out mean/cruel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
Thanks! The comparisons to Power Grid were very attractive to me, and I enjoy market-style mechanics for the ability to jut wreck someone else's day by jacking up the price on things they need to buy or tanking the thing they want to sell. Was hoping there might be some similar stuff here, but thought that the delay in price fluctuation might put a bit of a damper on that kind of tactic, making it more reacting and planning around trends than actively manipulating it to screw up someone's current turn. Reading reviews, that does seem like the case.

This is SO MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Powergrid--not even comparable. But for the mechanics you're most interested in, you can sell off every market game you own and get yourself a nice 18xx or two--18AL is shorter than many and has all the market shenanigans you've ever dreamed of, not to mention route stealing and train rushing (to destroy those trains your opponents just invested in last round!), plus you can print and play it if you don't want to commit to buy without a try. But there's lots of others to choose from. Although they're GREAT and readily available for cheap, you might not want to jump in with 1870 or 1856 simply due to the length to play--even with experienced players you're looking at 6 to 10 hours respectively.

18xx is the apex predator amongst vicious market games--because there is no luck, everyone must work to protect and attack, and when you lose, it is no one's fault but your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
I disagree with the early answers in this thread. I think Planet Steam has a lot of ways you can really screw up another player. But I like it all the more for that.

I concur with Cornjob's opinion - Planet Steam is *very* vicious. The primary competition is in the bidding for roles. Which role players get is very important, particularly for turn order. This is a mistake new players often make - ignoring the turn order aspect. The secondary competition is in the market - purchasing and selling of goods. A smart player will have anticipated this and modified not only their role bidding but also their goods production (which goods they focus on). The third competition is in the field claiming but this is comparatively minor as it is almost always best for each player to act in their own best interest.

It's not so much that there is backstabbing but rather the game is built around healthy competition. There are few-to-none secrets or hidden agendas - everything is right there in front of you and players can't help but signal their intentions (though going later gives flexibility to react while going earlier gives more control). It's up to you to either modify your plans around other players' actions or to pay enough to ensure that your plans proceed accordingly. It's a very delicate balance and knowing when to be where in the turn order is often absolutely critical.

AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:

It's not impossible to manipulate the market against your opponents, but it's far easier and more rewarding (i.e., leads to a better outcome) when you manipulate the market to your advantage. A subtle difference but very important. When I'm playing Planet Steam, I try to fit my plans around those of my opponents such that my market manipulations yield better profits for me than those of my opponents (including drafting off their plans).

To me, Planet Steam is very different from Power Grid though I can see a few, vague similarities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:

To the OP, if you want a Euro game with these kinds of market tactics, take a look at Silberzwerg (Silver Dwarves) from Queen Games. It plays in around 1.5-2 hours and is very, very nasty. It does have secret action selection, and some user variants that definitely improve the game by altering the contracts, but if you can find it I believe it would scratch your itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like when people recommend games I have never heard of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.