Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Edelen
United States
Mount Orab
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Visiting a thrift store this afternoon, I saw a copy of Thunder, a game I sometimes come across in thrifts in the Greater Cincinnati area where the publisher, Ka-Ray, had been headquartered. At one point, I thrifted the game, played it, and enjoyed it. Very nice graphic design on the cards, too.

Inside the box of this particular copy was a folded-over sheet of paper that looked like a mimeographed business letter. Turns out, it was a note from the designer explaining that the company had donated a copy of the game to every sixth grade student in a local school district (I think it was Milford). How unusual! Maybe that explains why this game from the early 1980s still shows up in local thrifts.

In addition, the note was signed by Merle Robbins and his wife. Merle noted in the text that Thunder was his follow-up to a game he had designed earlier, a rather notable one: UNO.

Wow. That's some great local history in that mimeographed letter, and it also uncovers who the formerly anonymous designer of Thunder was.

Hope you enjoy this little historical tidbit about Thunder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Salamon
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you should go to youtube and check out my videos. Look for Mark Reads Rules.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that is quite interesting. I've had this on my shelf for several years after finding it... in a thrift store in San Diego.

I am going to try and get it played tonight, so I thought I would check the forums out.

Thanks for posting this story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.