Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
. . . that art can't express better and faster.

The erudite discussions taking place yonder provide no insight into the nature of what it means to be human better and faster than art can provide.

The John Coltrane Quartet says more in 35 minutes than any philosopher has ever said in 100,000 pages.

And yes, this is just my way of putting more Coltrane in your lives.

But beyond this very poignant example of human accomplishment, we hairless monkeys have a relationship with the arts - both abstract and plastic - that far predates the philosophical establishment.

Art reaches us wholly, where philosophy only fumbles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Johnson
United States
Orinda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll say yes to more Coltrane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
The jumping, flashing still photo from the third speaks to me far more insistently than Coltrane. Why would anyone do that?!? It's like taking a toddler to a concert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
The jumping, flashing still photo from the third speaks to me far more insistently than Coltrane. Why would anyone do that?!? It's like taking a toddler to a concert.

Just scroll down to the inane comments and you won't have to watch it.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
But beyond this very poignant example of human accomplishment, we hairless monkeys have a relationship with the arts - both abstract and plastic - that far predates the philosophical establishment.

Art reaches us wholly, where philosophy only fumbles.

Art 'reaches' us in a way entirely differently from philosophy. Art reaches us by, essentially, allowing us to reach into ourselves. That is, art, generally, works by being open to interpretation by the individual.

Philosophy is in this way more comparable to any other academic subject. A work on philosophy should not be open to interpretation in the same way a poem or piece of music should be. Conversely, a piece of art that allows no personal interpretation is banal.

Besides, philosophy isn't only about expressing things. Popper did not just express the idea that science works by falsifiability.

I'd (genuinely) love to see the piece of art that expresses that idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:

Popper did not just express the idea that science works by falsifiability.

That is *exactly* what Popper did.

It is an interpretation of science that provides some insight into "how science works".
It is by no means universal (whole bunch of science is *not* done through falsifiability but rather through more mundane probabilistic methods or even simple Occam razor) and while it certainly contains elements of "truth" its appeal and applicability very a lot from one practicioner of science to another.
In other words - it is no more definitive statement about science then, say, Anna Karenina is a definitive statement on adultery.

As for the art making strong statements about nature of science - there is plenty Asimov (particularly early Foundation books), Lem and Clark all come immediately to mind - but I am sure there is more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
bramadan wrote:
That is *exactly* what Popper did.

That's not all that he did. He argued that it was how science worked, he presented examples, and he showed that this view would make meaningful differences in certain (extreme) examples on how science is conducted.

He also applied this to construct a more solid basis for the probabilistic methods that you mention. A basis that has interest, and use, in both areas of science that consider probability, and in the mathematical side of things.

I would not claim it as some 'definitive statement' on science, but it's a lot more than simply expressing an idea. Unless you want to take an extreme materialist position.

bramadan wrote:
As for the art making strong statements about nature of science - there is plenty Asimov (particularly early Foundation books), Lem and Clark all come immediately to mind - but I am sure there is more.

I've only read some Asimov, and no Lem. Lots of Clarke. What do they say about the nature of science? They certainly have a lot to say about what changes science might bring about. I'm not sure I'd say they said much about science itself in the sense Popper did. Though I'm really only familiar enough with Clarke to be able to say that he didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.