Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wydraz
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just a fan submitting a Story Card for fun. I have no idea if this will work in the game, as I have yet to get my copy of the game. But as a fan, I am submitting this for your consideration. No copyright infringement is intended, this is just for fun. Delete this post if necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reed makamson
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
That seems a bit easy, thoe i do like a story card based on the serenity plot. I'd like to find a way for The Operative to be incorporated. but there should be more tests and misbehaving.

also, what if your River gets snatched up by the alliance during the required contact? can you go recruit another one?

I think it should be: 1: bust fugitives out of an alliance "school". 2: transport them to an alliance space sector to fix their brains. 3: taking them to reaver space to find your evidence and broadcast your signal.

you get a bonus to goal tests based on number of fugitives you're hauling, BUT roll a dice every round, on a 1: fruity oaty bar broadwave; pass a fight check, difficulty based on number of fugitives in your ship, or lose crew and/or fugitives. ignore if you've already fixed their brains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. The storyline is interesting, but you need some Skill Tests, Job requirements, Misbehavin, Money Goals, etc. in there to liven things up. Good start! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its Serenity the movie! Very nice. How about having to stop in to see or contact Mr. Universe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Moran
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And there's no Miranda planet on the board yet.
As the next reply pointed out, it would help if I read the entire card and saw how to reach Miranda!

Believe me, I looked hoping for the ability to create a story just like this!

I love the way the card came out though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pickard
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think he meant for Miranda to be off board. You keep track of the sectors traveled with a die. Once you get to six on the die, you reach Miranda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wydraz
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated per suggestions. I like them all, but there is limited space on these cards. I think of this as an 'easy' version of the movie plot, and solo compatible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prague pride
msg tools
Still too easy. You shouldn't be able to (or want to) complete the first goal on your first turn with a full burn. Make them start within 1 sector of Londinium so they at least have to full burn to leave.

Considering that the goal missions are easier then most of Niska's missions I could see this game going only 4-5 turns. Alliance contact doesn't hurt at all if you haven't played long enough to have illegal crew and warrants. As for the reaver event, even if you fail it doesn't really stop you. Also if you have a pilot and mechanic you spend 1 fuel to auto-pass, hardly a gripping finale to a game. You start as a Pilot or Mechanic Leader, hire the other one and dump all your starting money into fuel. (turn 1). Turn 2: Full burn, pass goal 1. Turn 3,4. Full burn to MIranda and complete goal 2. Turn 5: Spend 1 fuel and win.

That could happen every game...

Rewriting the goals to up the difficulty a bit:

Goal 1: Subliminal Trigger - (2 Misbehave cards)
Can be initiated at any time while in border space and counts as a 'Work' action. If completed successfully your ship can no longer enter Alliance space for the rest of the game.

Goal 2: Miranda
Reach Miranda. Miranda is located 6 sectors beyond the board. To reach it use a 'Work' action at the Firefly logo space. You can choose how fast to fly (up to your drive rating). Pick a number and draw that many border cards AND misbehaving cards, your choice on which deck to draw from until the number is drawn from both sides.If you pass and keep flying successfully then make a note of how far you traveled that turn. If you fail for any reason or have to full stop then you make no progress this turn no matter how many cards were successfully passed.

If you leave for any reason you must return your goal token to the box and start over again.

Goal 3: Can't Stop the Signal

I am a leaf on the wind - 10 Technical: 1-5: Kill 2 Crew. 6-9: Kill 1 Crew. 10+ Pass
Hold them off: 10 Fight - 1-5: Kill 2 Crew. 6-9: Kill 1 Crew. 10+ Pass
The Perfect World: 10 Negotiate - 1-5: Kill 2 Crew. 6-9: Kill 1 Crew. 10+ Pass

I would envision this be a game where the players take their time and try and build up the best damn crew they can before heading down a horrific gauntlet.

Banning from Alliance space will make recovery very difficult so each player will most likely be able to get a good shot at the prize before the most advanced player can recover and try again.

The race to Miranda becomes a Tortoise vs. Hare situation: Do you try and just blast your way through or take it slow and steady so you make continual progress. It'll allow a player lagging behind to make a risky gamble for first place.

As for the final fight... it's not the hardest skill check but the fact that it hits all three skills means you will have to generalize and it'll be harder to just load up on the guns and or fake ids and just dominate a challenge. In addition, losing crew members on failure means a failure could send you fleeing all the way back to border space to recruit up.

I could see this being a longer game as it's harder to re-try, so maybe call it 1:30 or 2 hour game until someone tries it out. In addition I could see this grinding to a stalemate if people do poorly enough that there just aren't enough good crew members left to pass the end checks but that would be a brutally vicious game to have that many people die..

Then again...ya know...the movie wasn't exactly character friendly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi Stewart
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really like the more difficult version. But I am not a fan of Goal 1. There just has to be more to it. My revisions:

Serenity
One of your crew was once used in an experiment by the Alliance. Buried under layers of psychosis, your wanted crew member doesn't remember why the Alliance used them. You decide to get to the bottom of things.

Goal 1: Fruity Oaty Bar
A subliminal message triggers a psychotic episode in your crew member.
Choose a wanted crew member. This member has turned against you. Their gear and abilities count against you in any skill checks.
Misbehave four times.

Your wanted crew member remembers something. You disguise your ship in the hope of making it through Reaver territory to the abandoned planet, Miranda.
Misbehave two times. Then attempt to break through Reaver territory.
Make a Negotiate (Bluff) check of 9.
1-8 Resolve the Reaver Contact card. Travel to Miranda.
9+ Success. Travel to Miranda.
Miranda is located 6 sectors beyond the firefly logo board. Place a die next to your ship to track how many sectors beyond that space it has traveled.

The secret of the Alliance creating the Reavers has been discovered. Time to tell the verse.
I am a leaf on the wind: 10 Technical - 1-5: Kill 2 Crew. 6-9: Kill 1 Crew. 10+ Pass
The Perfect World: 10 Negotiate - 1-5: Kill 2Crew. 6-9: Kill 1 Crew. 10+ Pass

I do expect this to be a difficult storyline. But, come on, saving the universe is no easy feat. I'd say this would have to take at least 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heidirs wrote:

Serenity
One of your crew was once used in an experiment by the Alliance. Buried under layers of psychosis, your wanted crew member doesn't remember why the Alliance used them. You decide to get to the bottom of things.

Goal 1: Fruity Oaty Bar
A subliminal message triggers a psychotic episode in your crew member.
Choose a wanted crew member. This member has turned against you. Their gear and abilities count against you in any skill checks.
Misbehave four times.

Your wanted crew member remembers something. You disguise your ship in the hope of making it through Reaver territory to the abandoned planet, Miranda.
Misbehave two times. Then attempt to break through Reaver territory.
Make a Negotiate (Bluff) check of 9.
1-8 Resolve the Reaver Contact card. Travel to Miranda.
9+ Success. Travel to Miranda.
Miranda is located 6 sectors beyond the firefly logo board. Place a die next to your ship to track how many sectors beyond that space it has traveled.

The secret of the Alliance creating the Reavers has been discovered. Time to tell the verse.
I am a leaf on the wind: 10 Technical - 1-5: Kill 2 Crew. 6-9: Kill 1 Crew. 10+ Pass
The Perfect World: 10 Negotiate - 1-5: Kill 2Crew. 6-9: Kill 1 Crew. 10+ Pass

I like this, but to make it more thematic I would suggest a few changes to the start. The movie starts with them pulling a bank heist.

Goal 1:
Perform an illegal job that nets at least $3,000. Receive a warrant when you complete this job and receive 1 goal token.

Also, you have the operative looking for them the whole movie, and that should be simulated in the game.

Goal 2:
Requirement: Warrant
If you have exactly 1 goal token, whenever you try to hire a crew at any of the supply planets, you must complete 3 misbehave cards. If you botch any of the three, kill a crew. If you pass the misbehave, perform a fight check: 1-8, kill a crew. 9+ evade the operative and receive the second goal token.

Goal 3 (as above)

Goal 4 (as above)
I was thinking that if you had Wash, you get a +4 to your "Leaf on the wind" check and if you have River you get a +4 to your "Hold them off check."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
msg tools
mbmbmb
I love the ideas that are being kicked around on this thread. Building on everyone's posts, here is my version of this story card:

SERENITY:

One of your crew was once used in an experiment by the Alliance. Buried under layers of psychosis is the reason why the Alliance used them. It’s time to get to the bottom of things.

SET-UP: The Operative – While misbehaving, add 2 to the difficulty of all fight tests.

GOAL 1: Fruity Oaty Bar
Choose a wanted crew member. This member has turned against you. Misbehave 3 times with the crew member’s gear and abilities counting against you in all skill checks.

GOAL 2: Miranda

Each turn, you must attempt to bluff your way through Reaver space to Miranda (located 6 sectors beyond this space).
Negotiation Test (11)
1-10: Resolve the Reaver contact card.
11+: No Reaver contact.

GOAL 3: Can't Stop The Signal

“I am a Leaf on the Wind”: Tech Test (11)
+1 if a pilot is present; extra +2 for Wash.
1-6: Kill 3 crew & proceed. 7-10: Kill 2 crew & proceed.
11+: Kill 1 crew & proceed.
“Hold them off”: Fight Test (11)
1-6: Attempt botched. Kill 2 crew. 7-10: Attempt botched. Kill 1 crew. 11+: Success! Transmission complete.

Can't wait to try this out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Hobby
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I love this but while it is sweet, it will work best when the expansions add Fanty and Mingo's contact/world on the far right side of the board (as it appears in the Verse), Mr. Universe contact on the edge of a new expansion on the far left toward the bottom corner outside the Firefly logo (on one of the outer cortex relay worlds) and in the far upper left... Miranda. They gotta know the fans are clamoring for this and could easily charge nearly the full price of the original game as it will add addt'l board sectors, two new contacts, and probably another Reaver ship (and why not a Rim Alliance cruiser with some miserable bastard at it's helm who wishes he was as lucky as Harken?)
These ideas are great for a place holder tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do wonder if GF9 have the Serenity licence as well.

I mean, you'd hope they do, and given the projected number of expansions, it would seem that way. Plus, they've got the Fruity Oaty Bar image (among other things that escape me right now?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not to sidetrack from the original topic, but GF9 can do an expanded map regardless of whether they have Serenity rights or not, I believe. The question is whether they could use new characters like Mingo & Fanty.

Personally, if I were GF9, I would break the map expansion into two parts (one for each edge) and release those at GenCon annually. My long-term plan for Firefly would look something like this:

GenCon 2013: Release game.

Q1 2014: Release expansion that fine-tunes existing material.

Q2 2014: "Game-changing" expansion (PvP play).

Gen-Con 2014: Map Expansion 1.

Repeat for 2015 and 2016, with Gen-Con seeing a release of the Deluxe version of the game, which would include the expanded board, and most (if not all) of the material from the various expansions. Cynics will call it a money grab, but will be oh-so-pretty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Not to sidetrack from the original topic, but GF9 can do an expanded map regardless of whether they have Serenity rights or not, I believe. The question is whether they could use new characters like Mingo & Fanty.

Well, yes, but there's no point expanding a map unless you have interesting things to fill it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agree, but even without the movie characters, there's still a ton of interesting stuff that could be done.

One of the challenges to map expansions, I think, is that the systems located in them are fairly tightly clustered, so there would have to be something interesting going on in the otherwise-dead zones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.