Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this game 3 times. The first 2 times were with 6 players. We slipped up on the first game and had 4 cylons. The second game was done right, with 2 cylons. The third game was a two player variant.

Here's the deal, I am pretty well clueless as to figuring out which people are cylons. Even in the 4 cylon game, I wasn't sure. The only thing I knew is that I wasn't one of them. Yes, I was sitting with only one other human, and couldn't figure it out. blush

So I'm looking for some insight. What do you usually look for as signs that someone may be a cylon? Is it bad play? Bad commentary? Blaming others? How do you usually tell between a bad player and an enemy?

Edit: I see there's some threads on this, going to read them. But any extra advice would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Deduction can be a powerful tool.

You know the odds of there being 1-2 Cylons in the first reveal as well as the Cylon count after the second.

There is only one purpose for a Cylon to remain unrevealed - to fail the missions as they come up. Also, let's assume a loyal human will NEVER play the wrong color on a mission.

Now, two random colors are played each round from the deck but only 2 per color until the reshuffle. This is another very important bit of info.
-If there is ever a bad color on a mission, take note of that.
-If there are ever two of the same bad color, you know a traitor threw that color.
-If there are ever 3 bad colors, regardless of what they are, a traitor threw one of them.
-If a color is a bad color 3 times in a row before the reshuffle, a traitor played that color.
-If you otherwise eliminate colors and can narrow down a bad color that was thrown in by a traitor, so much the better.

From this you should be able to glean what colors the traitor can collect. Each character can only draw certain colors (be wary and always ask Baltar what he grabs as his can change) and narrow down the Cylons quite a bit.

As a side note, always brigging someone in the beginning of the game can be quite helpful. They don't draw events so in that sense they don't count against you and a Cylon won't often put up with staying in the Brig too long (or maybe that's just something a Cylon might want you to think). This should probably not be done lightly or with the brig action and can instead be useful as the result of a failed mission but the downside is that this person will inevitably hate you for the rest of the game and it has a tendency to burn a good deal of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the players.

Unless someone is really obvious about being a Cylon (e.g., the only pilot who plays heavily into a check that fails on a bunch of Piloting cards), you will have to look for "tells". My experience is that you need to play with people a couple of times before you know their "tells".

A typical behavioral change that you see when somebody is a Cylon is that they talk a lot less. They are afraid to say too much or draw attention to themselves. This works especially well for those who normally talk a lot, of course. Another is the spouting of random accusations -- if someone normally does not do that, but suddenly starts doing it, you might have a Cylon on your hands.

But, as I said, it depends on the players. It's a personal thing.

And even if someone's behavior is slightly off, is that enough to warrant a brigging? I bet you could not convince the other players to brig someone of whom your instincts tell you that he is a Cylon. No, I bet the other players would brig you instead, for trying to hurt the team. It's a difficult business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactica is not primarily a game for spotting cylons. Galactica is a resource management game foremost. If the cylons are not doing any sabotage, you don't have to know who's a cylon. Just coax everyone to work for the human cause, human or cylon. They will either do it or start having excuses. Even if you know who's a cylon, talk him into helping humans, but don't give a good enough chance to make the last big sabotage and reveal. And do not accuse so much as to force them to reveal. The longer you have the cylons working for humans, the better.

If they are performing sabotage, you have clues. You can set them up in several ways. As a current player you give the impression you are going to play into a check. When only one player plays into it, you don't. That gives away a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
There is only one purpose for a Cylon to remain unrevealed - to fail the missions as they come up. Also, let's assume a loyal human will NEVER play the wrong color on a mission.

Now, two random colors are played each round from the deck but only 2 per color until the reshuffle. This is another very important bit of info.
[...]
-If there are ever two of the same bad color, you know a traitor threw that color.
[...]

Roughly 1 check in 9 (1 in 11 with Pegasus or Daybreak) will have both cards from Destiny be the same colour - so you'd expect it to happen once or twice a game even without Cylon intervention...

There are also other reasons for a Cylon to remain hidden - a good one is that they're waiting to have a good opportunity to sabotage the fleet - a well-timed soft-reveal can turn a bad situation into a disaster...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I got by gut and intuition, half the time I'm right, the other half, no. I also need to factor in if the newbie who said he got colors wrong or the rules wrong was gaming the system, or being genuine about it.

Pay attention to colors in skill checks... I've seen people miss 3 to 4 bad cards in skill checks. Some acknowledge it but don't want to take action yet, that's fine. But if you suspect something, may want to act on it after getting advice from others (unilateral briggings work better at any rate).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually just assume everyone else is a Cylon from the start, and then have them convince me they're not by helping the humans win. The two players that always have to work the hardest to convince me they're not skin jobs are the Prez and Admiral. If the Prez keeps drawing Quorum cards, but never seems to use them. Or, never seems to have a handy XO, I usually assume they're Cylons. Admiral is a little harder to peg based on actions than Prez to me, because his/her biggest action is determining jump destinations. And, having been Admiral myself several times, sometimes you really are picking the least worst option. Which is where scouting Destination comes into play. If no one is scouting Destination, then it becomes a lot harder to get a gage on whether its a bad Admiral, or just bad options.

And, the advice about getting everyone to work towards the humans is a pretty decent idea. As is counting colors on spikes. It usually at least helps narrow things down some, as there are only so many Red cards in the Destiny deck, and that means after two someone must be helping it tank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamín Larenas
Chile
Arica
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe you need to play as a Cylon at least once (takes one to know one).

P.S: I haven't played the game myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahem.... see if his/her spine glows red, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Macrae
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XO's and cooperation are paramount to human success in this game. Wasting actions and resources hampering yourselves by brigging someone without absolute proof can be a death sentence. When my group plays, we operate on the assumption that everyone is Human, although we will watch for spiked checks or highly inefficient play. With the exception of trying not to XO someone and put them in the position of having an excellent sabotage-and-reveal, we largely ignore the Cylon threat, until someone raises our ire by going against group consensus without a good reason or being woefully inefficient.

With this strategy, most Cylons get one action to screw us over and then reveal. We try to minimize the number of opportunities they get to have truly harmful reveals, but we waste no unnecessary actions brigging the wrong people or running in circles accusing people. Overall, it works out quite well for us and makes life hard for the Cylons, because they do the most damage slowly sabotaging multiple checks and casting suspicion, not just one action and reveal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:
I've only played this game 3 times. The first 2 times were with 6 players. We slipped up on the first game and had 4 cylons

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
wow, i wish i could have seen that game. it must have been hilarious! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.