Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Wong
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
There are a lot. What, of all the fan expansions, are the most interesting, most balanced, or just plain most fun expansion pieces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Mucklow
United Kingdom
Swindon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want an expansion that feels most like a seamless extension to the official game then definitely get Sailors and Empires.
They're both excellent and integrate really well into the 7 Wonders theme.

Lost Wonders has some really interesting new wonders so check that out too but the other two I mention are must haves!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lost Wonders has some that integrate really well, but many that I could do without. I say that even though I was heavily involved in the creation of Lost Wonders!

From my understanding of all the fan expansions, Empires and Lost Wonders went through the most severe playtesting of all. I think LW was over 6 months of testing, and Empires was a similar amount of time.

I don't know anything about Sailors, and little about Myths. My problem with each of these is that they add cards to each Age and the Leaders deck, so you end up with marked cards because there is no way to hide the difference between professionally produced cards and your self-printed copies.

The newly released wonders by DisForFeat are not entirely balanced, and most wonders have abilities that make you and your neighbors remember what choice you made later in the game, which doesn't quite fit with how 7 Wonders is supposed to play.

The symbols in Game Wonders are confusing, and many of the boards all feature the same effects: military or resources. This ends up with too many players going after the same cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shima Tetsuo
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Lost Wonders has some that integrate really well, but many that I could do without. I say that even though I was heavily involved in the creation of Lost Wonders!

Couldn't agree more, I use about 70% of them all the time (Antiochea B is my favorite !).

I think you should pick about ten new wonders boards that please you for a start. Choose them with your guts between the multiple wonderboard expansion. Beware of picking some that were playtested or you may end disappointed.

Another light expansion I recommend is Zodiac :
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1027273/7-wonders-zodiac
It's really simple and doesn't need tons of explications for newbies. Even if the creator didn't answer to some of our questions as you can read on the thread above, it remains well balanced for having tried it about 4-5 times.
Plus as the cards aren't shuffled with official cards (like Myths and Ruins, but unlike Sailors and additional Leaders or Guilds), the way you print them doesn't really matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F
United States
MA
flag msg tools
wizcreations wrote:

I don't know anything about Sailors, and little about Myths. My problem with each of these is that they add cards to each Age and the Leaders deck, so you end up with marked cards because there is no way to hide the difference between professionally produced cards and your self-printed copies.

For Myths at least, I simply don't play with those few cards and it's fine. 99% of Myths is the Gods deck which doesn't need to match the rest since it is drafted and played separately, like Leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
oh yeah, I had forgotten that the age/leader cards in Myths are just supplements and that the majority of the expansion is a separate deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.