Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played BattleLore, Tannhäuser and other light tactical games, but they are too light for what I'm looking for. I've also played Virgin Queen which is too long for what I want. I have (and love) Runewars, War of the Ring (First Edition), and Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), but I'm looking for recommendations for a more traditional war game (like a shorter Virgin Queen).

Lately I've been playing a lot of Middle-Earth Quest as Sauron and someone told me Twilight Struggle plays similar to the Sauron role and that it is very tense. This is very appealing to me, so I wanted to see what other games like Twilight Struggle people might suggest I try.

The ones I'm eyeing right now besides Twilight Struggle are Space Empires: 4X and A Few Acres of Snow. I am looking for something different than what I have (http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/horfrost3?own=1&sub...), something more mentally challenging, with more strategy over tactics (a little random is okay), medium-heavy, and no longer than 4 hours. More than 2 players would be ideal, but isn't necessary.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a couple quick recs would include:

1775: Rebellion or 1812: The Invasion of Canada

Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage

Hammer of the Scots
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Schomp
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While both great games, I wouldn't consider A Few Acres of Snow or Twilight Struggle in the 'wargame-like' category. I'd recommend either, however, with a fair edge to Twilight Struggle based on your listed criteria.

A shorter Virgin Queen leads me to Maria (best 3p) and Friedrich (best 4p).

I'd put AFAoS and 1775 in a 'lighter' class, but HoTS, Julius Caesar, and Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan all come highly recommended.

Stepping the weight back up a bit, check out Washington's War, Wilderness War, and Napoleon's Triumph. If you're looking to explore something more hex-and-counter-ish Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles and No Retreat! The Russian Front should be a nice starting point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions! How does Space Empires rate? I like space themed games - is it more wargame than Twilight Struggle?

Hannibal and Band of Brothers look intriguing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.