Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone else in the UK catch the final episode of the IT Crowd last night? For those who didn't, this excellent TV comedy, that already featured board games in previous episodes, went the whole hog in its final show and showcased Moss's own board game video review internet show. Yes, video reviews! It even ripped off Scott Nicholson's old 'board games with scott' music for the intro. I couldn't believe my eyes!

It was a complete p*** take of course, but to see at least 20 bgg-style games featured, along with hilarious made up euros such as 'Dutch Textile Trader' (T Vas' would have appreciated that particular jibe), on mainstream British telly, was a joy to behold. A parody of little old BGG content on one the UK's best ever TV shows! Amazing!

The twist of the show was that Moss was advised to wear tight womens' trousers to get more confidence, and so, changing into them like Superman, his first mumbling board game video review transforms into an explosive, super-cool (and even more cheesy) presentation style.

I also believe that the writer of the show, Graham Linehan (who also wrote Father Ted and other classics) actually enjoys boutique board gaming as it seems to be a thread running through the shows, what with another episode featuring a full D&D game too.

There's nothing up on youtube yet, but if we could find a link and add it here. There is a teaser of the episode here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ytmd5aHNvo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bysouth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, watched and laughed and cringed throughout. They have featured board games before - they played D&D in one episode and the Days of Wonder boardgames and a few others have always been on the shelf behind Moss. I'm afraid this was the final nail in my 'coffin of coolness' as far as my wife is concerned. She just threw me rather pointed looks - and a withered raise of an eyebrow. Rather dreading meeting up with friends next time who know of my board game weakness... it'll be bad, really bad. I mean, I knew I was a bit geeky but come on.... are we really this bad. Oh dear, I rather think we are! Now I want more of Moss' youtube channel - make it real Ayoade - you know you want to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's some of it up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a repeat scheduled for this over the weekend? Perhaps it will be available via 4oD?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in electronic contact with Graham- I'll ask him about board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I reckon there are a good few 'celebs' into our games, prbably lurking on the geek, too. David Walliams always features crazy board games in his sketches - both in Little Britain and Come Fly With Me he includes a couple of long sketches based on crazy game designs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick B
United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What we need now is 'Ports of Essen' and 'Dutch Textile Trader' trending on The Hotness! C'mon geeks, you can do it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
Is there a repeat scheduled for this over the weekend? Perhaps it will be available via 4oD?

A repeat is scheduled tonight on 4seven (Sky:140, Freeview:47, Freesat:127, Virgin:195) at 9pm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
A repeat is scheduled tonight on 4seven (Sky:140, Freeview:47, Freesat:127, Virgin:195) at 9pm.

And it is now on 4od. I just had a look to see if they namechecked Reiner Knizia or if I'd misheard. I think I misheard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PhasingPlayer wrote:
What we need now is 'Ports of Essen' and 'Dutch Textile Trader' trending on The Hotness! C'mon geeks, you can do it...
Nope you want Textile Trader Norfolk Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like there's an episode of the fake board game review show available here:

Now, where can I find some women's trousers...
(or was I on the right track with the kilt?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Illing
United Kingdom
Oldham
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I nearly wet myself laughing at this last night. The whole episode is on 4OD now. I want this web-series to be real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-it-crowd/4od

Stunning. Going out on a high. Those clips of Game Board will be plastered all over here pretty soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek D
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagpuss42 wrote:
JoffW wrote:

And it is now on 4od. I just had a look to see if they namechecked Reiner Knizia or if I'd misheard. I think I misheard.

Close - I think Moss says that Ports of Essen and Textile Trader Norfolk Edition are two new games from "Reiner Knizski"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us not in the UK, the full episode has been posted on YouTube (at least for now...) at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyL8pETtEy4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
Looks like there's an episode of the fake board game review show available here:

Now, where can I find some women's trousers...
(or was I on the right track with the kilt?)
Bit Slack of you not knowing what Moss is wearing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG reviews need more explosions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't even know they were doing any more episodes after series 4. This is great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kacy Crawford
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
JoffW wrote:
JoffW wrote:

Thanks for the information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Witchfinder wrote:
I nearly wet myself laughing at this last night. The whole episode is on 4OD now. I want this web-series to be real.

It is real; only the names have been changed to protect the innocent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
It's like art imitating life. It's what I think of most video boardgame reviews. Who am I kidding, all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
It's like art imitating life. It's what I think of most video boardgame reviews. Who am I kidding, all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poor Yorick wrote:
Close - I think Moss says that Ports of Essen and Textile Trader Norfolk Edition are two new games from "Reiner Knizski"

Yeah, something like that. The Essen reference is a nice touch, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
Watched it earlier on 4OD.
It was a great end to a classic comedy show.
The boardgame stuff was brilliant and I was delighted to see Richmond make an appearance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Had to get up just to watch this episode when I read about it. Thanks for the youtube link.

Brilliant!

Games on the shelf in the IT department:
Memoir
Simpsons Camelot
Mystery of the Abby
Ticket to Ride (SdJ Version)
War on Terror

As far as I remember they played War on Terror in one episode, although not with the real rules...

BOARD GAMES! BOARD! BOARD! GAMES!

brilliant episode
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.