Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's a check to acquire a spell and I succeed at it, does it automatically go into my hand even if I'll never be able to play it?

For example, say the spell says banish if I don't have the arcane skill and I don't have arcane skill. Can I still acquire the spell and put it in my hand. If so, it would have use to me in an event such as "discard a card to add a d6 to my combat check", or to discard it when wounded.

Thematically, this doesn't make sense to me. It seems that I shouldn't have been able to acquire the spell in the first place, but if that's correct then some locations are full of a lot of noise for my character.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I searched and went through a good amount of pages and couldn't find the answer in the forums or in the FAQ.

---

While I have you here, it seems that I've seen a number of people play blessings on other characters in other locations even when it isn't their turn. This seems to be correct but it also feels wrong and I didn't see it in rule book either. Can you play a blessing willy nilly out of turn on anyone regardless of their location and proximity to your character?

Thanks for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:
Thematically, this doesn't make sense to me. It seems that I shouldn't have been able to acquire the spell in the first place, but if that's correct then some locations are full of a lot of noise for my character.

You sometimes have to check themeatic thinking at the door for this game. Yes, you can grab the spell for which you have no arcane skill... if you were intelligent enough to decipher the runes or the old parchment you stumbled across (i.e. you pass your INT check), congratulations you have the spell.

What's more, congratulations, you CAN cast that spell. Because you don't have the arcane skill, you won't be able to check after casting to try to save it... it will be banished when you use it (i.e. it's a one shot for you, whereas for a wizard, they more likely would keep it around for recasting later).

And yes, you can play a blessing any time to up anyone's chances to succeed at a check. Doesn't matter where you are, you say a little prayer, and the gods answer that prayer and help out your buddy. How did you know that your buddy needed the help right then? Well, again, check your themeatic brain at the door...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can acquire it. Think of it like you have found a scroll of that spell. Keep in mind, that you can always give it to another character at the end of the scenario, so it is never a bad thing to acquire a boon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Both these things make perfect thematic sense:

1. You've picked up a one-shot scroll. Hand it off to a spell caster or use in a time of need. It's also an easy choice for what to discard if damaged.
2. The others pray to a god for help. Since gods are omniscient and omnipresent, so they can listen to a plea in one location and act in another.

Now Harsk's long-ranged-monster-seeking bolts, I haven't been able to thematically clarify yet. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning the blessing part in the rulebook.
Rulebook wrote:
Blessing: Blessing cards often allow you to add dice to checks
attempted by any player, including yourself, at any location. The die or
dice added are of the type defined by the situation and the skill that
the character is using for the check; the character must already have an
appropriate skill to make the check.

And

Rulebook wrote:
Play Cards That Affect the Check (Optional): Players may now play
cards from their hands to affect the check. Each player may play no
more than 1 of each card type; for example, 2 different players may
each play 1 spell to help your check, but no single player may play 2
spells. Players may not play cards at this time unless the cards affect
your check; players may not play cards that modify a skill unless
you’re using that skill, and players may not play cards that affect
combat unless you’re attempting a combat check. If a card states that
it is immune to a particular trait, players may not play cards with the
specified trait.

So blessings can be used on any character at any location, and can be used when making any check, since they do not say 'your' on the card.

As far as the first bit, it's a given, just clarified and pointed out in the rulebook. If a card does not say 'your' on it, and doesn't evade, encounter, defeat, succeed, or explore, then you can use it on anyone, including yourself. If a card doesn't say 'your location,' etc, then you can use it on any location.

The cards tell you exactly who they work on and where they work, except for the evade, succeed, etc etc thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For folks who never played D&D (and by extension Pathfinder) the idea of a non-caster acquiring and using a spell may seem very odd. So, a quick explanation: In D&D one could find scrolls as magical items. Scrolls had the magical power needed to cast a spell worked into the scroll and the entire scroll was consumed at the time of casting. Thus a large number of classes could use the scroll as a one-shot spell. Spell casters, though, could copy the spell into their own personal book of spells if it was one they didn't already know. (In a balancing mechanism, copying the spell also consumed it, but this never made thematic sense to me.)

So, folks without the appropriate Arcane or Divine skill can use the found spell as a one-shot scroll (banishing it after using it), while spell casters can learn it and continue to use it.

Or, as others have pointed out, you can use it for discard fodder (free hit points!) or give it to a spell casting team mate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
tssfulk wrote:

Now Harsk's long-ranged-monster-seeking bolts, I haven't been able to thematically clarify yet. whistle

He has an ICBC, the new Intercontinental Ballistic Crossbow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!

Seriously, wow!

Thank you for taking the time to share these incredibly informative replies! Not only did they teach me the rules which I hadn't accurately parsed, but your replies also provide thematic background that makes the rules work in my head/imagination as well.

I'm really happy that this is the outcome as if the answer was ultimately along the lines of "yeah, it's odd and doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's in the rulebook", it never would have felt great to play with. Thankfully this is not the case and the thematic perspective you've shared totally works for me and is going to make the game that much more exciting. Heck, I want to play again right now.

Great game, great community. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Andrews
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wait, huh? You can play a card that specifically says if you don't have the Arcane/Divine you have to banish it?

It doesn't say to banish it AFTER you play it.

And though we may like to think it is a scroll, spells are not...

I'm confused.

SoCal Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
DougA wrote:
Wait, huh? You can play a card that specifically says if you don't have the Arcane/Divine you have to banish it?

It doesn't say to banish it AFTER you play it.

And though we may like to think it is a scroll, spells are not...

I'm confused.

SoCal Doug

That's in the powers section of the card. That power activates when you play the card. No cards have anything in the powers section that tell you about acquiring the card unless it specifically says so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.