Popular Tags: [View All]
Michail Giannis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disaster on Everest

Beside the fact that Disaster is a solo game.....
Disaster on Everest wrote:
Guides can move clients farther, but your clients outnumber your guides. An event chit is drawn that must be either purchased out of a limited amount of Prestige Points or it goes on the Storm Track, hastening the arrival of the storm. The storm phase decreases movement and increases the difficulty of managing the clients.

Points are scored for clients that reach the summit and live to return to base camp.

My main concern here is because i am a big big fan of K2 (also own the expansion) but i played Disaster on Everest and didn't like it a bit and from what i am reading so far i don't see so much difference in the games. (with the limited information i have so far)

I was a guide were i had customers with abilities and disabilities to take to the top....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Mount Everest appears to be built on the K2 engine; Disaster on Everest clearly is not. I would imagine the core game engine / mechanisms would be a huge factor in your enjoyment of the respective games. Although I was (and remain) curious about Tom Decker's Disaster on K2, and now Disaster on Everest, I have no idea whether I'll enjoy them, other than the fact that I like his Circus Train quite a bit. On the other hand, I'm 90% certain I'll enjoy this one, because it has the same underlying engine as a game that I enjoy — at least it looks like it does!

Of course, if it's too similar, that wouldn't be great….

Oh, heh heh, now Tom has Disaster on Kangchenjunga, too, so I'll also add that to my Want to Play list, so I can find out whether I like them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Teległow
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main engine is based on K2 mechanic.
You still have 6 cards in your hands and choose three to play. The same with weather tiles, risk and so on.
But the feel of the game and way of thinking about your cards and moves are very different cause the goal is different.
You go up to the top and down to base several times during game.
You want to take as many clients as you can for vps but to take them alive back to the base (which gives you points which is difference making your moves and strategy very different then K2) you have to prepare chain of camps (tensts) and take oxygen up to them first (or along).
It is all because clients have very little acclimatisation potential and you have no A cards in your starting deck.
You would add them during game.
So you have to plan and execute many journeys to the top.
And now you do not have to take both mountaineers to the top. They can operate on very differnt height lvls or have other roles you want them to do.
It is not a game of going up to the top and stay alive.
It is a game of taking as many clients on top during 18 days as you can which gives much deeper opportunities for planing and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Maciej! It sounds even better than I was trying so hard not to imagine! They can just go ahead and send it to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Decker
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a brief note comparing the Disaster in the Himalayas games along with K2. I haven't played Mount Everest yet, but it looks fantastic!

You can read that thread here:
Disaster in the Himalayas comparisons

I am anxious to pick up Mount Everest and give it a try.

I am also working on the fourth in my series, Disaster on Lhotse (the fourth highest mountain).

- Tom Decker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tom! Long liveCircus Train!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.