Space Cadets» Forums » Variants

Subject: Three new missions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonatan Kilhamn
msg tools
Here are three new missions I cooked up:

Running the Gauntlet
You've been tasked with manning the starship The Gauntlet on a dangerous crystal run. I'm sure you've heard the story before: a previous ship returned from the sector prematurely, leaving the last (and most valuable) crystal behind! I guess they preferred staying alive to completing the mission. Hmph. Now the sector's swarming with enemies, and they're broadcasting something that interferes with our jump drive!
Ship Starting Speed: 3
Nemesis Marker: 4
Special rules: Jump can only be performed in the fifth and last area.
Objective: Capture the crystal via Tractor Beam and Jump out of the area.
Map:

________ _________ _________ _________ _________
x | | | | |
x | | | | |
x | E N* | E C N | H H* | E* E |
x | | | | |
x________|_________|_________|_________|_________|

x: ship starting position
C: crystal
E: Easy enemy
N: Normal enemy
H: Hard enemy

Jump-off Point
Our Sitting Duck-class exploration vessel recently found a sector with mysterious folds in space-time, ripe with valuable crystals! The area is hard to navigate, but we've managed to place Jumping Beacons at more stable positions which should help you find your way.
Ship Starting Speed: 2
Nemesis Marker: 5
Special rules:
– Jump can only be performed within range 3 of a jumping beacon (J). When jumping (which takes a full yahtzee), the JDO can decide to place the ship anywhere within range 3 of any explored Jumping Beacon. When jumping, all locks are lost and all non-Nemesis enemies lose lock on the ship.
– The two separate sectors are only connected via jumping.
– If Nemesis cannot reach the ship through normal movement, it will move towards the closest Jumping Beacon. If it ends it movement on a Jumping Beacon, it will jump to the space of the Beacon closest to the ship. When it does, move the Nemesis marker to 0.
Objective: Capture the crystals via Tractor Beam and Jump out of the area.
Map:

_________ _________
| | |
| | |
| x | E J E* |
| | |
|_________|_________|
| | |
| | |
| E J E* | N C H* |
| | |
|_________|_________|

_________
| |
| |
| N*C H |
| |
|_________|
| |
| |
| J |
| |
|_________|

Crystal Haul
We've hit the motherlode! The biggest crystal we've ever seen just floats around for the taking! However, it's too large for the docking bay of your ship, and the larger Jump-driven freighters don't have the close maneuvering to pick it up. We've inserted a freighter nearby, but you know the saying: if Mohammed can't come to the mountain...
Ship Starting Speed: 2
Nemesis Marker: 6
Special rules: The crystal cannot be picked up. To move it,do one of the following:
– Shoot it. When hit, it moves one step away for every two damage. "Away" means following the extension of a straight line through the ship and the crystal as closely as possible. It moves through all terrain without effects. If fired at when in the ship's space, it moves in a random direction, where a roll of 5-6 means it stays in place.
– Tractor it. When successfully tractored, move it to the ship's space. Any excess Tractor Beam points (tbp) generated are tracked by placing damage markers on the crystal card. As long as there is at least one tbp on the card, the crystal will follow the ship around when it moves. However:
–– if the ship blinks or loses lock on the crystal, lose all tbp
–– if the ship moves through a rift, lose 1 tbp
–– at the start of the TB phase, lose 1 tbp from it, plus 1 for each energy that Helm put into Thrust that round
Objective: Get the crystal into the Freighter (F) and Jump away. The Freighter will pick up the crystal at the end of the enemy activation phase if it is within range 3 and no enemies are within range 3.
Map:

_________ _________ _________
| | | |
| | | |
| E F E* | | E E* |
| | | |
|_________|_________|_________|
| | | |
| | | |
| | N* H | E C E |
| | | |
|x x x x x|_________|_________|

Notes
The objective of creating these missions was to focus on certain stations. It should be obvious which one I've shot for: Running the Gauntlet is Helm's time to shine, Jump-off Point is the Jump Drive Officer's, and Crystal Haul is Weapons/Tractor beam.

I have not tried any of these out yet. I have found the missions included in the game a bit on the easy side (when played on Normal), so I might have overshot in terms of difficulty. If so, try downsizing some of the enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like your missions and ideas!!!

Tried my mission "Triple Sector"? Original Balance had flaws, but I already upload a file with the repairs...

Please tell me your opinion, my crew and I'll try your missions and share are experience too...

Greetings!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.