16 Posts

Andean Abyss» Forums » Rules

Subject: New Player - Some questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
Just finished our 1st 4 player game and have a few questions, and looking for some confirmations...

1) OPs in General - When the 1st initiative player selects a action, the 2nd play can ONLY select the action is the box in the next column that is directly next to it? Each 1st action has a little arrow pointing to the next action, and this next one is the only one possible for the next player to choose?

2) GovOP:Train - You can select as many spaces as you like, as long as you pay the cost (3 by default) Then in any ONE of those spaces you may run a Civic Action. Any Civic Action can be paid as3 cost increments. For example paying 15, can remove terror and flip Active Opposition all the way to Active Support, 5 levels are changed in the Civic Action as 3 cost each.. 5x3=15.

3) GovOP:Sweep - To move into a Department the troops must first move into a LoC? So unless the department has a LoC as a boarder, you can not sweep into it? Also if the LoC has a exposed or hidden insurgent you can not move though the LoC with sweep?

4) Gov Capability Markers / cards stay in play for the entire game.. but only go INTO PLAY, it they are activated through the event coin op? So if someone doesn't activate the event card, then it is discarded and not put into play. Insurgent Momentum are also like this but the effects end at the propaganda phase reset phase?

5) Ship:- Anyone controlling a drug shipment may discard after the 1st or 2nd op action to either get a FREE Limited OP in their own turn or give a free limited op to another player? So if the cartel has a shipment in play, and the FARC dose a 2nd action, the cartel can discard the shipment to give the FARC a 2nd limited action. The cartel couldn't sell a shipment to give itself a free limited op after a different player did a 1st or 2nd action. These bonus actions are free and require no cost and do not affect eligibility for the next round?

6) Terror:- If a department has a terror marker, you can still do a terror action and drop the support / position towards neutral. You just do not place a 2nd terror marker.

7) Agitation only occurs the propaganda phase, there is no other way to increase opposition besides event cards?

I probably have more bt that is all I can think right now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1: correct

2: correct

3: no, you dont have to use LoCs, but can chose to

4:correct

6: there can be more than one terror marker, so place one each time

7: FARC terror increades opposition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
brian asklev aursen wrote:
1: correct

2: correct

4:correct

7: FARC terror increades opposition

Cool.. thanks,.. so you can definably add more then 1 terror marker to a department then... dose that mean you can add more than one sabotage to a LOC?

Any word on question 5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
booored wrote:

5) Ship:- Anyone controlling a drug shipment may discard after the 1st or 2nd op action to either get a FREE Limited OP in their own turn or give a free limited op to another player?

You can only get a free limited op in your own turn (while executing Operations without special activities, 4.5.3 2nd bullet.) So no, you couldn't discard a Shipment in someone else's turn to give yourself or the other player a free LimOp.

Quote:
So if the cartel has a shipment in play, and the FARC dose a 2nd action, the cartel can discard the shipment to give the FARC a 2nd limited action.

In this case, Cartel would have to first transfer the shipment to a FARC guerrilla in the same space, and FARC would have to discard the Shipment to get the free LimOp.

This is allowed, since Shipments can be transferred at any time (4.5.3).

Quote:
The cartel couldn't sell a shipment to give itself a free limited op after a different player did a 1st or 2nd action.

Correct.

Quote:
These bonus actions are free and require no cost and do not affect eligibility for the next round?

No cost other than the Shipment, correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
MikeO wrote:
booored wrote:

5) Ship:- Anyone controlling a drug shipment may discard after the 1st or 2nd op action to either get a FREE Limited OP in their own turn or give a free limited op to another player?

You can only get a free limited op in your own turn (while executing Operations without special activities, 4.5.3 2nd bullet.) So no, you couldn't discard a Shipment in someone else's turn to give yourself or the other player a free LimOp.

If that is true why dose the manual say this....

Page 5 wrote:
Whenever a 1st or 2nd Eligible player Faction pays Resources to execute an Operation (including a Limited Operation, 2.3.5) but executes no Special Activity, it may remove a Shipment that it owns (4.5.3) to immediately execute an additional, free, Limited Operation of any type. Alternatively, a different Faction may remove its own Shipment to enable the 1st or 2nd Eligible Faction to execute such a free Operation. A Faction may only benefit from 1 such Shipment per card.

I have put in bold the confusing text...

Isn't this saying that that a DIFFERENT faction to the 1st or 2nd eligible faction can discard the shipment to give the 1st or 2nd eligible faction a free Limited OP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Cool.. thanks,.. so you can definably add more then 1 terror marker to a department then... dose that mean you can add more than one sabotage to a LOC?

There is no effect of several sabotage markers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
booored wrote:
MikeO wrote:
booored wrote:

If that is true why dose the manual say this....

Page 5 wrote:
Whenever a 1st or 2nd Eligible player Faction pays Resources to execute an Operation (including a Limited Operation, 2.3.5) but executes no Special Activity, it may remove a Shipment that it owns (4.5.3) to immediately execute an additional, free, Limited Operation of any type. Alternatively, a different Faction may remove its own Shipment to enable the 1st or 2nd Eligible Faction to execute such a free Operation. A Faction may only benefit from 1 such Shipment per card.

I have put in bold the confusing text...

Isn't this saying that that a DIFFERENT faction to the 1st or 2nd eligible faction can discard the shipment to give the 1st or 2nd eligible faction a free Limited OP?

Hello! Yes, your 5) is correct: Cartels could Ship it's marker after FARC executed Ops only to give FARC an additional free LimOp. Cartels Eligibility would not be affected. Cartels could not so give itself a LimOp during the FARC's Ops.

Note that Cartels could even Ship to give the Government a free LimOp in this way!

Regards, Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 1 Sabotage marker per space. See 3.3.4:

Quote:
If the space is a LoC without a Sabotage marker, place a Sabotage marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
Great thanks all, and great to get a response from the man himself! (we really loved your game, after a few plays it should be even better!)

booored wrote:
3) GovOP:Sweep - To move into a Department the troops must first move into a LoC? So unless the department has a LoC as a boarder, you can not sweep into it? Also if the LoC has a exposed or hidden insurgent you can not move though the LoC with sweep?

Just to further refine question 3 in the original post....

Brian said in his reply

So... in my image.... I could in fact do a sweep where I put the red arrow pointing down? As entering and exiting a LOC is not "required" to sweep into a department (as Brian answered). It is optional.

But I just wanted to get 100% confirmation that the other red arrow heading into the mountains is a valid move as well, or if it is not a valid move?

If there is a LOC containing hostile gorilla forces and it is the only boarder of a department the government wishes to sweep into... Can I still sweep into it? Or dose the LOC need to be clear of hostile units to do a sweep?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:
Hello! Yes, your 5) is correct: Cartels could Ship it's marker after FARC executed Ops only to give FARC an additional free LimOp. Cartels Eligibility would not be affected. Cartels could not so give itself a LimOp during the FARC's Ops.

Note that Cartels could even Ship to give the Government a free LimOp in this way!

Regards, Volko

Ha, even I get them wrong sometimes! Thanks for the correction, Volko!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Blink
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can do a sweep with the red down pointing arrow. Because those are adjacent spaces. (See adjacency in the rule book, first few pages). As Govt you may (optional) travel down a LoC and land on a space adjacent to that LoC. If you do not want to use a loc you do not have to. Otherwise, you can just move to any adjacent space(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
Sorry I'm not being very clear. What I'm asking is about the arrow going into the mountains. As that has enemy forces in the loc could gov sweep into it. Or the MAY you say mean they can basically skip over them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
booored wrote:
Sorry I'm not being very clear. What I'm asking is about the arrow going into the mountains. As that has enemy forces in the loc could gov sweep into it. Or the MAY you say mean they can basically skip over them?

You could use another loc path to get there, but the loc is adjacent to those two provinces, so I believe you'd have to go through it. Or around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alpha Mastrano
Australia
Camperdown
NSW, Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
booored wrote:

I'd say you can. During a Sweep, Troops move into adjacent spaces (3.2.3). According to 1.3.6, Departments separated by a LoC are adjacent, so you don't need to move into the LoC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools

So if FARC shift Active Support to Active Opposition and then the ACU moved it to neutral... the zone would have 6 terror markers?

What happens if you run out of terror markers?

3.3.4 Terror wrote:
Do not place a Terror/Sabotage marker if all are already on the map. (There are 40.)

So dose this mean the Terror effect still occurs, and you just do not place a chit? Or can you not perform a terror effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Terror happens, no marker is placed as there aren't any more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.