Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A simple question: Which Duel Decks do you think are the most fun to play right out of the box? So:

- No tweaking of the decks allowed
- Do not care about the price or availability of the decks
- Do not look at the market value of the individual cards

I guess the intention is clear, so here we go. Would love to hear your opinions!

Edit: And of course, feel free to share your thoughts on the decks.

Poll
Which Duel Decks are the most fun?
  Excellent Good Fine Bad Haven't played
Ajani vs. Nicol Bolas
Divine vs. Demonic
Elspeth vs. Tezzeret
Elves vs. Goblins
Garruk vs. Liliana
Heroes vs. Monsters
Izzet vs. Golgari
Jace vs. Chandra
Knights vs. Dragons
Phyrexia vs. The Coalition
Sorin vs. Tibalt
Venser vs. Koth
      32 answers
Poll created by Seabie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
Elspeth vs Tezzeret is the most balanced DD that I give played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
van00uber wrote:
Elspeth vs Tezzeret is the most balanced DD that I give played.

Agreed, I played several games with with those decks and neither seemed to have any major advantage over the other.

While I've yet to play it, I've heard good things about Izzet vs Golgari in terms of the fun factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my opinions on the ones I have played.

I really liked the Sorin vs. Tibalt deck, but it took a few plays to really get the hang of them. There are some good cards in these decks, too.

Phryexia vs. The Coalition was not my favorite. It does have some good cards in it, so I took it apart and put some of them in my cube.

My jury is still out on Heroes vs. Monsters. I think the Heroes deck is better and more powerful than the Monsters one. I've tried tweaking them just a bit, adding only cards that are on theme, and only a couple. Still need to play them more.

I'm planning to get Knights vs. Dragons (mainly to use as cube cards, but I will try playing them before breaking them up). I've also heard good things about Izzet vs. Golgari, so I will likely try that one as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I can say I actually own every one of these.

My favorites:

Izzet vs. Golgari
Very nicely matched, with strategies different enough (instants/sorceries vs. graveyard love) to satisfy different types of players. Nothing ridiculously overpowered, but also not a lot of total jank. This one keeps me coming back.

Elspeth vs. Tezzeret
Mostly a White soldier deck, but with some flying (and some Flash, and some Convoke, and some buff, and some removal) against a Blue artifact creature deck with enough of a range of tricks to compete. I think when people played this one they were hoping the rest of the Duel Decks would be this good, but that hasn't happened.

Heroes vs. Monsters
Maybe because I didn't expect much, but I have really enjoyed this one. The Heroes deck seems more flexible, with plenty of buffs for the long-game. While the green/red Monsters deck seems tailor-made for the long-game, but has enough midrange to at least not lose it in the short/mid.

my not-so-favorites:

Admittedly I disliked the Scars block, but the mono-black Phyrexia deck usually mops up the weak attempt at a 5-color everything deck.

Ajani vs. Nicol Bolas
You have a fairly unimpressive cat deck (which you would think I would be all about!) going up against a ridiculously overcosted U/B/R Grixis deck.

Elves vs. Goblins
Not that I hate the deck, but it's pretty much the same strategy every time: Elf tribal vs. Goblin rush. Once you've played it once, that's about all you need to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
my not-so-favorites:

Admittedly I disliked the Scars block, but the mono-black Phyrexia deck usually mops up the weak attempt at a 5-color everything deck.

Elves vs. Goblins
Not that I hate the deck, but it's pretty much the same strategy every time: Elf tribal vs. Goblin rush. Once you've played it once, that's about all you need to play it.

PvC is one of my favorites. I love the fact that they made a 5 color deck, and it has great fixing and ramp to send you into awesome 3 color dragon legends. Big gold dragons! So much fun!

The goblin deck, though... Ug. I love goblins and they built the slowest goblin deck ever. Goblin decks shouldn't be loaded with 3, 4 and 5 drop goblins. Oh, and the elf deck has some of the best life gain ever with Wellwisher and does a better job of swarming and pumping with the Imperious Perfects. The goblins rarely stand a chance in this one. It was the first duel deck made, and it shows.

The Jace deck gets bonus points from me for the Morph theme. I love me some morph creatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the votes, there also seems to be some love for Sorin vs. Tibalt. Anyone wants to elaborate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Seabie wrote:
According to the votes, there also seems to be some love for Sorin vs. Tibalt. Anyone wants to elaborate?
For me, it's okay.
The Sorin deck uses vampires and spirits, but the vampires aren't all tremendous and the spirit tokens aren't going to get anyone's heart racing.
The Tibalt deck has a lot of burn spells, and a lot of pinger creatures, but in terms of "theme" it just doesn't light my world afire (pun intended.)
It is nice to have the 2 Planeswalkers though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seabie wrote:

For me, these are great on theme. The decks are fun to play, too. I like to play the Tibalt deck because it's got a little speed, a little burn, and then some graveyard things going on. It's a fun mix. Sorin's got some combat tricks, some creatures at different points on the curve, and a little lifegain. The decks are different and well-matched at the same time, and they're fun to play against other decks, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Luckily people seem to be quite happy with Heroes vs. Monsters as well, because that one is affordable and widely available. Also, I like the theme a lot and the cards on themselves looked fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With the upcoming release of Anthology I've decided to get all the Duel Decks; it's way more affordable now to catch up with them. I'm also thinking to buy the M15 Clash Pack, as it seems to be a Duel Deck in disguise (well, at least partly). Does anyone have experience with that one? Does it reach the same level as the Duel Decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

I wouldn't say it's a duel deck in disguise - more aptly, it's an event deck wearing disguised as a duel deck.

It's replaced the event deck in release rotation, it has the same legality base as an event deck (standard), and it comes with instructions to combine the halves into a competent standard deck. Basically it feels like they took an event deck they had planned, then they got some intern to split it into two decks, add a bit of fluff on the side, and proivide instructions on how to reconstitute the original event deck concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the main purpose is the combined Event Deck. I do think it is a wise decision though to make it playable for two players. Right now I'm interested to hear some experiences from people who played it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.