Hide
11 Posts

Space Cadets» Forums » Rules

Subject: Damage from failing to get Jump card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonatan Kilhamn
msg tools
In this thread, the designer confirmed that if the JDO activates the Jump Drive and neither jumps out nor earns any new card, the ship takes one internal damage. The thread is almost a year old.

In the rules under Damage & Repair, we find the bolded part
"Internal damage (from Jump Drives or Repair, for example) is not stopped by shields." So far so good.

However, I cannot for the life of me find the actual rule in the Jump Drive section of the rulebook! I've read it over and over, and it only says that I can use energy, keep going until I run out of time, and then either finish the mission or take a card. I see nothing about the consequences of not taking any card. Has this rule been changed between printings? Has it disappeared? Should I never be appointed Sensors since I don't see what's right in front of me?

Minor secondary question: the actual wording is "Keep using Jump Flux cards and Energy as desired until the JDO either runs out of cards, Energy, or time." I believe the intended rule is that if you run out of Energy when re-rolling, you can still use the rest of the timer to manipulate the dice using the cards. Or conversely, if you run out of cards to use, you can still use more energy to re-roll dice. I mean, most people probably play it like intended but the actual wording sounds like "when you use your last card or Energy, you have to stop." Maybe try "Keep using Jump Flux cards and Energy as desired until either all cards and Energy has been used, or the JDO runs out of time."?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyrill Melai
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Once I could recite whole episodes of Dexter's Laboratory.
mbmbmbmbmb
The line your are looking for is just a few lines below the 3rd bullet you quoted. It reads

Quote:
If the JDO is not able to take a jump flux card, the ship takes one internal damage to a random side.

The shield section defines that internal damage cannot be prevented by shields.

Happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Kilhamn
msg tools
That's the thing – it's not there.

My rulebook reads (I'll type it up):

"– Keep using Jump Flux cards and Energy as desired until the JDO either runs out of cards, Energy, or time. (Remember that this is a timed step!)

If trying to jump out of the map and you have five-of-a-kind, the Jump is successful and the mission ends!

If the mission does not end, the JDO can take one Inactive Jump Flux card whose criteria is met and move it to the Active side of the Jump Display. If the JDO gets 5-of-a-kind any Jump Flux card may be taken.

Using Energy
As described above, the JDO can spend 1 energy to reroll as many dice as desired. EXCEPTION: see "Core Breach" on page 20.

There is another use for Energy in the Jump Drives however. As you get more Jump Flux cards it can be very challenging to figure out how to manipulate the dice. So the JDO can also spend 1 energy to flip the sand timer and get an additional 30 seconds. The JDO can buy as many rerolls or 30-second extensions as she can afford with the ENergy assigned to Jump."

After that it's the pictures and descriptions of the cards. Do we have different versions of the rules? As I asked before, has this rule been changed or been lost between printings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyrill Melai
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Once I could recite whole episodes of Dexter's Laboratory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

I bought my copy at Spiel 2012. The rulebook that came with the game matches the rulebook you will find in the file section. The version listing only lists one version. I can find no version information in my rulebook.

So it does seem you do have a different version from which the line I quoted is missing. I do not know which version you have and whether deleting the line was accidental or intentional.

Hopefully someone else can shed some light on this matter.

Happy gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Kilhamn
msg tools
Yep, looking at the rules in the files section I see the line about internal damage. My rulebook (in a game I bought from a swedish online game store just a week ago) does not include it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
For the second printing we made one rules tweak and one addition.

The tweak was the elimination of the Jump damage if you don't collect a card. It was originally intended to force you to take a bit of a risk to jump unless you put some energy in. But after playing it with so many different demo groups we realized that it mainly hit you the first turn or two, and there was really little you could do avoid it. It was just a crap shoot as to whether you took that damage or not.

And once you got past the first few turns you usually had a card or two which made it quite rare to not get something.

Eliminating little rules like that, especially in Space Cadets, is usually a good thing, so we went ahead and did it.

The second is an Advanced System for Repair. You now have an additional use for energy during Repair. You can declare a 'cautious' repair just before you roll a die for a random repair/damage card. You spend an energy, and you get to roll two dice and pick the better result. But if both dice are failures then the repair attempt must stop immediately.

I thought I had posted the new rules but I guess it got lost in the shuffle. I'll get them posted ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Kilhamn
msg tools
That clears it up! In that case, also do away with the reference to it in the Damage section: as I said upthread, it reads something like "Internal damage (from Jump Drives, Repair etc)". That could be replaced with "(from special maneuvers, Repair etc)".

And when I'm on the subject of the rulebook, it could do with another round of proof-reading. There was one place where the bolding started one letter into the word, for example, and you can't decide on whether to write Energy with a capital E or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
For the second printing we made one rules tweak and one addition.

The tweak was the elimination of the Jump damage if you don't collect a card. It was originally intended to force you to take a bit of a risk to jump unless you put some energy in. But after playing it with so many different demo groups we realized that it mainly hit you the first turn or two, and there was really little you could do avoid it. It was just a crap shoot as to whether you took that damage or not.

And once you got past the first few turns you usually had a card or two which made it quite rare to not get something.

Eliminating little rules like that, especially in Space Cadets, is usually a good thing, so we went ahead and did it.

The second is an Advanced System for Repair. You now have an additional use for energy during Repair. You can declare a 'cautious' repair just before you roll a die for a random repair/damage card. You spend an energy, and you get to roll two dice and pick the better result. But if both dice are failures then the repair attempt must stop immediately.

I thought I had posted the new rules but I guess it got lost in the shuffle. I'll get them posted ASAP.

Geoff,

We (and when I say "we" I mean "you" ) should create an FAQ. The first part of the FAQ should include the above changes to the rules from the first printing to the second printing. And after that, we could just put other questions/answers that come up, per a normal FAQ.

Would you be so kind as to do this in your copious spare time?

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
x x
msg tools
I also wish to report a misprint on the damage & repair board.

The 5/6 die result is missing a pip, showing 4/6 instead.
(and 4 is also used for port damage)

It's easily fixed by adding a pip myself, but I thought you should know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! We did fix that in the 2nd printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
x x
msg tools
That's odd, since I have the second printing (according to the rulebook's last page)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.