Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Set up and win conditions
Gorn Command Cruiser Rex starts at the centre of a 50 hex radius location map facing South. It wins by leaving the location in any direction except for the South edge (which is a win for the Romulans). The Romulan forces comprise four ships (basically two light cruisers and two destroyers). They need to destroy or capture the Gorn vessel. They start cloaked at a distance of at least 10 hexes from the Rex and must decloak on the first impulse.

First turn power and speed
On the first turn the Rex pays a total of 32 power to travel 32 hexes (max speed + acceleration each impulse). This leaves about 10 energy for weapon fire, plasma arming or reducing damage of which I believe only the last is sensible. Because the Romulans start cloaked they are capped to speed 16 + 8 acceleration. This leaves them all some extra power for weapons fire and plasma torpedo arming.

Romulan start positions
If they start to the anywhere to the North they're going to always be at a distance of at least 10 hexes which severely limits their damage potential.

If they spread out largely the same thing. Some will be a little closer as Rex has to turn at some point but the others will be far away and stay that way.

If they start in two pairs somewhere to SE and SW then the Rex has to turn to approach one. That pair decreases the shields and do a little burn through but the other pair will probably be ineffectual. One shield, probably a rear shield, will be badly depleted as the closest pair should be within a few hexes on the second impulse and will fire from the same hex. Spreading out so that different shields are hit just dilutes their damage potential. Hitting a front shield is silly as the Rex will soon turn away or fly past. I think this may be the best start position but it's not good enough.

If they all start together to due South then the closest they can get is around 9 hexes which means with three or four or even six PH-1 shots each they aren't likely to get burn through and the Rex will have ten power and four batteries to use reinforcing shields so the shield probably won't be even half depleted.

If they were to start to one side the Rex would turn to the other side and avoid most damage.

Part way through turn one
By impulse four all the Romulans have fired all the weapons they can bring to bear and the Rex, with her speed advantage, pulls away with a partially or mostly depleted shield. Waiting to shoot only takes the Rex further away.

End of turn one, into turn two
At the end of the turn Rex is now at least 8 hexes from the nearest Romulans and probably 9 or more. She has spent all her energy on acceleration and blocking damage. She transfers some shield strength to her rear. She allocates 24 power to speed, saves what little power she has for acceleration and blocking damage and wins around impulse six.

The Romulans all pay for max speed. There's no point arming torps because, even with the Rex slowed to speed 16 a two turn F will be too far way when fired to hit, especially if the Rex accelerates. The game won't last till the third turn so other torps won't even be ready. If, miraculously, the game does go to a third turn the Rex should be so far away from the Romulans that even if fired on the first turn moving at 4 hexes per impulse the torps should be launched from so far away that she exits before they can impact.

Hopeless Romulans
The Romulan's only hope was to cause enough damage to the Rex to take down her power so she could not achieve full speed but they can't do that.

Rex starts with 38 power so they have to damage 16 power boxes (that's 15 + the 1 she'll repair) to take her down to the next lower movement rate. Damage allocation row #1 includes six power hits in total, three at the start, three later. All four volleys have to hit and penetrate shields with at least 3 damage each to do remove even 12 power boxes but her shields are each at least strength 24. One volley can't take down her shield but two could if close and lucky. Even if they use directed targetting they've got no guarantee of hitting row #1. Other rows simply don't hit the power boxes enough so they have to cycle several rows.

Am I missing something?
I've played this scenario four times. I've played Gorn every time and won every time before the end of turn two. After my first play, I didn't bother arming torps as I had the first time and I told my opponent what I was going to do: Head off at top speed, turn as soon as possible so I'm no longer heading South while avoiding passing within a few hexes of you; I'm not going to waste any power on weapons since I don't have to hurt you, I just need to escape.

I've even twisted "can't leave by South edge" to "must leave by an edge north of the 'equator' of the map". It was no more of a challenge.

While this game is pretty niche on BGG, if you've played, or if you've read it and thought about it, do the Romulans have any shot at victory (what must they do?) or is this scenario (almost) a guaranteed Gorn win?

Edit: grammar, plus a sentence on turn 3 launch of plasma torpedoes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the scenario once, but we substituted a Federation ship in place of the Gorn. It was a while ago, and it was when we were learning the game (so we might have made rule mistakes).

I played the Romulans, and the Romulans did win. I destroyed the Federation ship four hexes from the destination hex. I do not really remember how the game went down, but I do remember it being plasma that delivered the killing blow. I do know we played on fleet scale, so maybe that made a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain, I am going to play this scenario in its original shape next Saturday 22 July, 2017...will report back here with AAR. We will stop the Gorn from escaping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.