Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the game and read through the rules and I feel like I'm missing something because I just don't see why the board matters.

This is how I understand things:

1) You have to attack an adjacent empty region if able. If there's none, you have to attack a region occupied by your opponent.

2) Regions have inherent defenses but these are so small that they hardly come into play (this is said by both Tom Vasel and Rahdo in their videos)

3) Your trick taking strength is not influenced by control of adjacent regions

4) When fighting over an already occupied region, there's no advantage to the attacker of defender, it plays out exactly the same as fighting over an empty region

5) For their win condition, the agressors count all their occupied regions, these don't have to be connected or anything.

6) Only 4 of the special power cards reference the board

So taking all these into account, what's the point of the board? Is there any real region control going on?

The only small form of region control I can imagine is a bizarrely counter-intuitive one where the agressors will do their best to avoid cornering the defenders because otherwise the defenders can start taking back regions.

Am I misinterpreting some rule? Or am I missing something which becomes obvious when actually playing the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elad Goldsteen
Israel
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark,

You are right in all of your well written points, but when you play the game so you can feel and learn a lot of the area control mechanics this game have.

The country tiles can be used by the defending alliance to block the aggressor alliance with few wins on crucial spots and the aggressor will try to open up the board as much as he can.

There are many strategies involving the use of the board.

After one campaign you will understand why the tiles are there and how important is to keep track on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Elad. I wanted to make sure I'd understood the rules correctly before playing. I'm looking forward to trying out the game and discovering the underlying strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.