Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't seen the documentary RESTREPO, it is worth checking out. Restrepo is a 2010 documentary film about the Afghanistan war, directed by American journalist Sebastian Junger (the documentary goes along with his book War) and the late British/American photojournalist Tim Hetherington.

The film is a nice, non-political look at the everyday lives of the American soldiers stationed, at the time, at the most dangerous outpost in Kandahar(?)

The book and the film I had my students read and watch for a couple of semesters for a first year composition course, they really liked it, most of them of course didn't know much about Afganistan, because of course it is not in the news a lot, or at least stories about soldiers and the casulities that occur there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gringer
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
The film is a nice, non-political look at the everyday lives of the American soldiers stationed, at the time, at the most dangerous outpost in Kandahar(?)

Restrepo is definitely worth a watch. Actually they're off in Kunar province, in the Korengal Valley. But that truly is the most dangerous place on a consistent basis. I think they're pretty close to Wanat, which was a base that the Taliban nearly overran.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can also recommend the Danish documentary "Armadillo" for a look into the lives of a team of coaliton troops.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 on both these documentaries. Well worth the look. Also worth reading is Sebastian Junger's War which is the book version of the events at Restrepo. Fascinating reading...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all good, for a Coalition non-American viewpoint I would recommend "The Junior Officer's Reading Club", written by a British junior officer. Reminded me somewhat of "Bugles and A Tiger", written by a British junior officer on the Northwest Frontier, 70 years before....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Moore
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Another interesting documentary is called "This is What Winning Looks Like" by the VICE group (they have some stuff on HBO). It was done by a Ben Anderson who is a Filmmaker/Journalist. Its interesting in its coverage of some of the corruption (on the Afghan side) and issues soldiers are facing in the more rural areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja5Q75hf6QI

And I do agree with anyone that hasn't seen it, Restrepo, was a very good documentary. I recommend it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Caducus46 wrote:
Another interesting documentary is called "This is What Winning Looks Like" by the VICE group (they have some stuff on HBO). It was done by a Ben Anderson who is a Filmmaker/Journalist. Its interesting in its coverage of some of the corruption (on the Afghan side) and issues soldiers are facing in the more rural areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja5Q75hf6QI

And I do agree with anyone that hasn't seen it, Restrepo, was a very good documentary. I recommend it as well.

I like the VICE show a lot they did a really good episode of where they went to N. Korea with Dennis Rodman(?) and played a basketball game with Globetrotters vs the North Korean team, actually when they played the game they did it where the North Koreans and Globetrotters were mixed together amongst the two teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Moore
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yeah, I have been pleasantly surprised with their stuff on HBO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
... most of them of course didn't know much about Afganistan, because of course it is not in the news a lot, or at least stories about soldiers and the casulities that occur there.

Is this dry sarcasm, or has Afghanistan (and the fact that US troops are stationed there) genuinely not been in the news much in the USA? I would have thought it was ubiquitous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Coverage seems to have really dropped off.
If any American soldiers are killed, especially if it's a Green on Blue incident, then it makes the news but for the most part American media is consumed (as it usually is) with domestic political developments and the doings of misbehaving celebrities.
It certainly dropped off in Canada once the troop's combat mission there ended and most of them came back (still have several hundred in and around Kabul doing training).

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
bonnieprince wrote:
patton55 wrote:
... most of them of course didn't know much about Afganistan, because of course it is not in the news a lot, or at least stories about soldiers and the casulities that occur there.

Is this dry sarcasm, or has Afghanistan (and the fact that US troops are stationed there) genuinely not been in the news much in the USA? I would have thought it was ubiquitous.

Not sarcasm. U.S. Has been there so long, over 10yrs, most students, unless they are former military, or have family there, have forgotten, or do know but don't care. Or really just don't know much about that part of the world.

But interesting enough in a lot of the classes I teach every semester there is always a veteran of Iraq or Afghanistan, it's interesting to talk with them and get their perspective.

Remember a lot of my students are 18-22 years-old and 9/11 was 12 years ago, which means they were kids when the U.S. went in. Though when my students read WAR and watched RESTREPO, they were very engaged. I also showed them a documentary called (?) The Women of Afghanistan, which talks about women's rights in Afghanistan before, during, and post Taliban and how the effects of Women's rights will suffer once the U.S. Pulls out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben
Netherlands
flag msg tools
the cake is a lie
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to awaken an dead thread, but I think it would be more appropriate to post there instead of creating a new thread.

Recently I've started playing ADP, and before that I knew nothing about the situation in Afghanistan. For all I knew, this was another war about oil. The game inspired me to learn more, and I've done that mostly by watching videos.

After watching Restrepo, Korengal was a good follow-up.

What I found even more enlightening, was the 6-part documentary Royal Marines Mission Afghanistan which follows a group of British troops.

Although not much about Afghanistan, this is an interesting documentary about the Foreign Legion, which shows some of their time there.

If you have any other good suggestions for videos to learn more, please share!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.