Company Leader» Forums » General

Subject: Company Leader: a personal note on my first game on BGG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick van Gompel
Netherlands
Aalst
flag msg tools
As a kid, I liked to play wargames, especially the ones that included some kind of secrecy. Me and my brother designed our own games, but the problem was that they took ages to finish. The idea of concealment has been somewhere in the back of my mind ever since.
I have been working on Company Leader since August 2011. The idea came to me that there was a way to create a double blind wargame that wasn't complex and wouldn't take a whole day to play. The use of 'blocks' with hidden troops and dummies in a different color for both players was the way to go. I did some simple playtests right way and it seemed to work. Next, I wrote some rules to test the double blind system which I could basically use for any wargame. It worked out nicely and soon I tested the game with a friend. He seemed to like it and after a few adjustments I played it more often with other friends.
After a year or so I considered to make the game freely available, so I had to get the dutch rules translated first. I made a website (http://companyleader.free-creativity.com) so other people could enjoy the game. And, hopefully Company Leader can grow from there on.

My plans for the future are to expand the game with more options. I have already worked out new troops and terrain.
I have bought some materials for games I want to give away. My idea is to make a bunch of U2U-games (User to User): a user sends the finished PnP game to another user for him to review. In turn, the new user sends it to another user after some months, so he had the time to play the game and decide whether he likes it.

By putting this game online and on BGG I hope to get some more feedback for an even better game of Company Leader. So if you have questions, suggestions or found any errors, please let me know. Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Patrick-
I saw your game on consimworld, and quickly read the rules. I am interested in the game because I have a similar prototype that I have been working on (using blocks, dummies, and hidden movement/etc).

One question regarding the rules:

How do you keep track of 'hits' if one unit survives combat? In other words: suppose one unit shoots (and destroys) an enemy piece, but itself suffers damage (say, a heavy tank suffers two hits). That heavy tank now has a strength of 4 (instead of 6).

How do you record those hits, and how do you do so if the heavy tank becomes hidden again? If you record it with a die or counter or any marker, the die/counter/marker has to stay with the hidden unit (which means its not really hidden), correct?

I'd be happy to talk more about how you have developed/playtested the game if you are interested.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick van Gompel
Netherlands
Aalst
flag msg tools
Hello Steve,
Thanks for your interest in the game.

That's a good question.
For revealed troops I keep track of their strenght using a small die. See animation below:

Since I wanted to create a boardgame with fairly simple rules, there is no bookkeeping or whatsoever. So, when a unit is hit it can no longer be concealed. You first have to repair the unit to full strenght in order to do so. If interested; you can find that on page 6 of the rulebook under 'Concealing troops'.

For a custom game with more in-depth rules, you could of course write the unit strenght on the block/cube with a water-soluble marker. Easy to hide, easy to remove.

If you have more questions, please let me know. And it's always great to talk about games (design).
Patrick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph B
United States
Granite Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick -

Your game looks very interesting!

dank je wel,
Ralph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.