Cedric Stempin
msg tools
Hi, I'm new to this forum so feel free to correct me if I'm not in the good section or something.
I'm looking for a way to divide a world map into groups of countries like the Risk board. But I can't figure out a decent way to do it. I always end up with chunks either too big (like the USA are just one tile) or too little (I have to separate North and South Korea for example) depending on the criteria I used.
So maybe someone just had that same problem and could give me some piece of advice.
What I'm looking for is a world map with 30 to 50 tiles. Each tile representing a group of countries or a country that can be representative of a region.
If anyone has any hint, it would be much appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the risk map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Try the risk map.

You could also look at the History of the World or A Brief History of the World boards as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Stempin
msg tools
Thank you guys, but we actually don't want to replicate a map from another game for copyright issues (we actually know nothing about copyright laws so we prefer to stay away from any misunderstanding) that's why we want to make our own.
So what we're looking for is more of a method to create it, or a little background info on how maps like Risk's have been designed, what was the reason to make Kamchatka so important on that map for instance...
That said, we are checking your links for inspiration

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either go fictional and divide it up as you see fit, usually along geographic borders, or go historic and do some research. Even historically, a lot of borders are usually divided along geographic borders and places of strategic value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Stempin
msg tools
bbblasterfire wrote:
a lot of borders are usually divided along geographic borders and places of strategic value.

We were so obsessed by the political and economical criteria we totally forgot to explore practical solutions. Thank you, that gives me tons of new ideas

PS : I should have mentioned it earlier but our game takes place in today's world, but still, you helped a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
The USA splits easily into the south, north and the west. Canada doesn't have any historical splits though, so you'd have to make them based on geography such as the Rockies, lakes, bays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cecily Parsley
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
The USA splits easily into the south, north and the west. Canada doesn't have any historical splits though, so you'd have to make them based on geography such as the Rockies, lakes, bays.

No historical splits in Canada? I beg to differ, Québec and Nova Scotia are historically very French. You could make Québec and the Maritimes a region, then the rest of the "southern" provinces, and have the northern provinces and territories be a region as well. Could split the main ones into Ontario/Manitoba and then the other three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien Boissonneault
Canada
flag msg tools
UltraChilly wrote:

So what we're looking for is more of a method to create it, or a little background info on how maps like Risk's have been designed, what was the reason to make Kamchatka so important on that map for instance...

The initial approach to Risk and many well made maps are not geographical, but math based. It's called graphs [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph_(mathematics)[/url]

Basically, you draw a circle for each region, and decide how many paths to them, once you have a graph you are happy with, apply it to the map. Thus, a single line between to nodes could be a border or a oversea path.

With this approach you will have various alternatives to splitting the countries, and then it will be easier to find an historical or geopolitical equivalent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Stempin
msg tools
ceetheman wrote:

The initial approach to Risk and many well made maps are not geographical, but math based. It's called graphs [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph_(mathematics)[/url]

Basically, you draw a circle for each region, and decide how many paths to them, once you have a graph you are happy with, apply it to the map. Thus, a single line between to nodes could be a border or a oversea path.

With this approach you will have various alternatives to splitting the countries, and then it will be easier to find an historical or geopolitical equivalent.

I'll definitely explore that way.

So many thanks, you've all been of a great help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about making smaller areas bigger? In Axis & Allies 1940, Europe is proportionately bigger than in reality, because there is more going on there. You could make the Koreas bigger in your map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you using all the continents or just a couple?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Stempin
msg tools
bill437 wrote:
What about making smaller areas bigger? In Axis & Allies 1940, Europe is proportionately bigger than in reality, because there is more going on there. You could make the Koreas bigger in your map.

I actually thought of that solution but it has been refused by the rest of the team, but I'll bring it back if we hit a dead end at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Stempin
msg tools
80sgamer wrote:
Are you using all the continents or just a couple?

All of them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sixsmith
United Kingdom
Tyldesley
Salford, Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
Without knowing the purpose or mechanics all I can suggest is

The bigger regions could have sections lined out in regards to strength of religion

Or separate boards for continents that can be fitted together. Effectively cutting out areas like Siberia or northern Canada/Greenland and putting more focus on the smaller but more important regions. Eg; 1 board for India which is a mix pot of faith one for north and south America one for Europe and middle east...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sixsmith
United Kingdom
Tyldesley
Salford, Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
Please forgive the obvious inaccuracy, this was speedily done, but his is what I was angling at...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.