rich m

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone
I need a quick clarification. If I am playing as Valeros and have melee strength +3 and I've used my two skill rewards to add +1 and +2 to his strength do I then get +5 when I am attacking and rolling my d10?
I would get +3 for the melee strength and +2 for the strength bonus. This question applies to other characters as well and their rolls.
Thanks for any help that can be given.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Strength = d whatever +2
Melee = Strength + 3
Therefore Melee = Strength d whatever + 2 +3.
Simplifying, we get Melee = Strength d whatever +5.

Looks like your math is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Kuyvenhoven
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No definitive answer for you, but from what I recall during the rules read, you can only have 1 bonus per check (Non-Die). These seem like 2 separate bonuses, thus only 1 would apply.
Also, the wording to me suggests Strength +2 would only apply to a straight Strength check, and the +3 Melee would be applied to a Combat Check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Korsheth wrote:
No definitive answer for you, but from what I recall during the rules read, you can only have 1 bonus per check (Non-Die). These seem like 2 separate bonuses, thus only 1 would apply.

You'll need to supply a reference for that: I didn't see any such clause in the rules but if you have one you should post it, because as far as I can tell Melee = Strength + 3 and Strength = d10 + 2 and that makes d10 + 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euron Crows Eye
United Kingdom
radcliffe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You get both bonuses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your MELEE is "STR + 3" and your STR is "1d10 + 2" then:

MELEE = STR + 3

(substitute in STR...)

MELEE = (1d10 + 2) + 3

MELEE = 1d10 + 5

=> you are hard as nails

Similarly, if you are facing a combat check and using MELEE to try to defeat it, playing a card/power that boosts your STR will also boost your MELEE. E.g. casting the Strength spell will add "+3" to your roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamemonster wrote:
If your MELEE is "STR + 3" and your STR is "1d10 + 2" then:

MELEE = STR + 3

(substitute in STR...)

MELEE = (1d10 + 2) + 3

MELEE = 1d10 + 5

=> you are hard as nails

Similarly, if you are facing a combat check and using MELEE to try to defeat it, playing a card/power that boosts your STR will also boost your MELEE. E.g. casting the Strength spell will add "+3" to your roll.

And people ask their algebra teachers when they'll ever need to use what they're learning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As other people have pointed out, you add your strength (d10+2) to your melee bonus, for a total d10+5.

Korsheth wrote:
No definitive answer for you, but from what I recall during the rules read, you can only have 1 bonus per check (Non-Die).

I'm curious about this statement, though: can anyone tell me what section of the rulebook suggests this? I'm not trying to call anyone out; I'm just looking for places to improve the rulebook.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadpbrown wrote:
As other people have pointed out, you add your strength (d10+2) to your melee bonus, for a total d10+5.

Korsheth wrote:
No definitive answer for you, but from what I recall during the rules read, you can only have 1 bonus per check (Non-Die).

I'm curious about this statement, though: can anyone tell me what section of the rulebook suggests this? I'm not trying to call anyone out; I'm just looking for places to improve the rulebook.

Thanks in advance!

I'm only guessing, but this could be a misremembering of the rules about checking feat boxes on p7:

Pathfinder rules wrote:
These boxes aren’t cumulative — that is, “+2” replaces “+1,” they do not add together to make +3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.