GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,684 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
252 
 Thumb up
 Hide
3717 Posts
[1]  Prev «  128 , 129 , 130 , 131 , 132  Next »  [149] | 

Wargames» Forums » Wargaming Press Releases

Subject: Legion Wargames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris Halpin
Australia
Llanarth
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Cundiff wrote:
Simple answer is, "yes, it's worth it." Of all the games I own, I've played more games of B-17 and its variants than anything else, that includes Up Front and Gunslinger. They're the most played games I know of in most player's collections. In terms of bang for your buck, you get more playing time with these games than any other game you have purchased or likely ever will.

Well! Thanks Tom! I just ordered the game. My wife is going to kill me!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WCSC Playtet Update
The Vassal mod had been delayed due to Geoff's (the mod designer) other commitments. It is now with me but I need Geoff to make one more tweak before it is ready for use.

In the meantime testing on hardcopies and Cyberboard has continued and I'm just about to distribute a full refresh of the playtest kit to the playtesters, reflecting the progress made over the last month.

One of the playtesters that has been barrelling ahead is Jonathan Townsend, now with three full games under his belt. Jonathan is playing solo - but rather than playing the solitaire scenario, he has opted to play the full game. The series of videos below provide a visual AAR of his third play.

Video 1




Jonathan talks the viewer through his set up for his 3rd solo play of the full game.

He explains the strategies adopted by both sides; Christians first. He talks about how he plays the two player game solo, ‘bluffing’ himself.
He then walks the viewer through the options that each side have based on their initial hands of cards.

Video 2



Jonathan explains how opening moves pan out - including an Ottoman attempt to scale the walls of Birgu that goes horribly wrong as the Christians deploy their incendiaries (in truth the losses would not have been as bad as Jonathan forgot the stacking limit reduces as the Ottomans move to the walls). He then walks through the End of Week routine.

Jonathan closes this video by discussing how the Ottoman might choose to spend the second week of the siege. But, as with the best laid plans of mice and men, things don’t go to plan…

Video 3



The game ends in a draw. Jonathan explains the events that occurred, including an outbreak of plague, and how the siege ended.

The game is available for pre-order (just 16 more orders needed) here: http://www.legionwargames.com/legion_WCR.html
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus K
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
B-26: The Marauder Strikes! and Enemy Fighters & Fire Power...

...Sorry, guys, I have to increase the Fire Power on a couple of fighters to be able to be consistent with German, Italian and Japanese fighters and their armament. But the good news is that I am decreasing the fire power value on a couple of others - I think.

I am not going into detail on rate of fire, barrel length and all of that. When I work on fire power I look at the caliber and number of guns and if it is a machine gun or cannon. I am also looking at other characteristics on the fighters so that all will be different from each other.

Perhaps that the number of fighters included are too many, but to have only a few fighters representing so many would not be correct, and maybe be boring in the long run.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The more the merrier, Magnus. I have always loved the Italian fighters. They were such elegant birds. Sadly for them, they were horribly under gunned. It was a disservice to their pilots too, and they had some good ones. It's amazing there were any ace Italian pilots given the lack of guns aboard their craft. And no doubt that failure caused the deaths of many good pilots unable to defend themselves. They might as well have been using popguns for all their armament was worth.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Lein
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Legionnaires,

Here is a preview of the new cover design by Mark Mahaffey. The game has not quite reached 250 CPOs but Mark approached me just itching to take a crack at the art for this game. Looks to me like he did a cracking good job.

Randy Lein - LEGION WARGAMES

  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, have you ever thought of selling box art as paintings that can be framed? I'd love that one on a wall ... but thinking back, I'd love B-29 on a wall too and Toulon, and .... ok, nearly all of them.

There's got to be others who have fleetingly thought such things. I'd bet you could sell them.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dynamite cover, Randy for a dynamite new theme.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill McGuinness
United States
Lynn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! We need prints...I will CPO it just to get that cover...an instant classic.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geromino Pares
msg tools
mbmbmb
**** mindblown ****
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
I am called Huginn..., or is it Muninn..., I forget...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cundiff wrote:
There's got to be others who have fleetingly thought such things...


Clever

That really is amazing artwork. It's about as period evocative as is probably possible. And just plain beautiful...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor
United Kingdom
Lowestoft
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful! That has got to be the best box cover yet, Randy. Wow.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. H.
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

"The game ends in a draw. Jonathan explains the events that occurred, including an outbreak of plague, and how the siege ended."

Wouldn't that be the equivalent to a Christian win? If the Turks ultimately couldn't take the town, then they would be too far from their sources of supply and would ultimately have to concede defeat on Malta IMO.

Look at what happened during the first siege of Rhodes. The Ottomans left the island when their siege failed. Yes, they came back but Malta is a hell of a lot closer to Spain, Italy and Austria than Rhodes was.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus K
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tom! You'll see several Italian fighters in the MTO Expansion. In the Core Game you have the CR.42, G.50 and the Re2001. I have tried to reflect the good qualities of Italian fighters and the poor armament. The G55 and Re2005 in the MTO Expansion both have heavier guns and a high damage modifier though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The following are the Italian aircraft of note. There were still more, but they were insignificant in number. In fact one might argue that anything below full group size (about 50) were of no consequence.

Dewoitine D520 ( purchased in 1940) 60 actually entered service
Macchi 200 (1150 entered service)
Macchi 202 (1350 entered service)
Macchi 205V (200 entered service)
Me 109G/K (220 entered service)
Re 2001 (240 entered service)
Re 202 (150 entered service)
Re 2005 (40 entered service)

Dornier 217 (1 squadron purchased from Germany, operational as night fighters)

Personally I always thought the Macchi 202 was an elegant plane every bit as beautiful as the Spitfire.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
m0rtaar wrote:

"The game ends in a draw. Jonathan explains the events that occurred, including an outbreak of plague, and how the siege ended."

Wouldn't that be the equivalent to a Christian win? If the Turks ultimately couldn't take the town, then they would be too far from their sources of supply and would ultimately have to concede defeat on Malta IMO.

Look at what happened during the first siege of Rhodes. The Ottomans left the island when their siege failed. Yes, they came back but Malta is a hell of a lot closer to Spain, Italy and Austria than Rhodes was.


Thanks for the question G.H.

This result, IIRC, see the Ottomam's wintering on Malta with the intent of resuming hostilities the following year - from the game perspective this means a lack of conclusion and so a draw.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus K
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Except for the Re.2002 all can be found in B-26. The G.55 and Re.2005 could have won the war all on their own!

I also like the 202 and the 205. They are sports cars! Good planes, maybe a little difficult to fly.

Pre-view of the MTO Expansion fighters, play-test version:
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. H.
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
andyloakes wrote:
m0rtaar wrote:

"The game ends in a draw. Jonathan explains the events that occurred, including an outbreak of plague, and how the siege ended."

Wouldn't that be the equivalent to a Christian win? If the Turks ultimately couldn't take the town, then they would be too far from their sources of supply and would ultimately have to concede defeat on Malta IMO.

Look at what happened during the first siege of Rhodes. The Ottomans left the island when their siege failed. Yes, they came back but Malta is a hell of a lot closer to Spain, Italy and Austria than Rhodes was.


Thanks for the question G.H.

This result, IIRC, see the Ottomam's wintering on Malta with the intent of resuming hostilities the following year - from the game perspective this means a lack of conclusion and so a draw.


Ok, fair enough. But I'm not sure if the Ottomans would be willing to stick around on a (relatively confined) island when the plague is rampaging through its ranks :-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And dying of starvation due to the inability to break the Christian blockade with sufficient supplies to support the army on the island.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This is the only look at me you will get. The first hint the bad guy gets that I am nearby will be the sound of the torpedo coming out of his baffles with high up-doppler.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RLEIN wrote:
Legionnaires,

Here is a preview of the new cover design by Mark Mahaffey. The game has not quite reached 250 CPOs but Mark approached me just itching to take a crack at the art for this game. Looks to me like he did a cracking good job.

Randy Lein - LEGION WARGAMES



Wow -- and a day later the game hits the 250 mark. That box cover created a dozen pre-orders in 24 hours. Well done!
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.W.
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, and thanks to ALL of you who had faith in this title and preordered these past 13 months since Legion took it on.
12 
 Thumb up
6.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BERLIN AIRLIFT INTERVIEW


I was recently interviewed by Grant Kleinhenz from the PLAYER'S AID Blog who took a shine to BERLIN AIRLIFT. The interview was posted today. You can find it here

http://theplayersaid.com/2017/04/20/interview-with-john-poni...

It gives a well-rounded view of the design.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
m0rtaar wrote:
andyloakes wrote:
m0rtaar wrote:

"The game ends in a draw. Jonathan explains the events that occurred, including an outbreak of plague, and how the siege ended."

Wouldn't that be the equivalent to a Christian win? If the Turks ultimately couldn't take the town, then they would be too far from their sources of supply and would ultimately have to concede defeat on Malta IMO.

Look at what happened during the first siege of Rhodes. The Ottomans left the island when their siege failed. Yes, they came back but Malta is a hell of a lot closer to Spain, Italy and Austria than Rhodes was.


Thanks for the question G.H.

This result, IIRC, see the Ottomam's wintering on Malta with the intent of resuming hostilities the following year - from the game perspective this means a lack of conclusion and so a draw.


Ok, fair enough. But I'm not sure if the Ottomans would be willing to stick around on a (relatively confined) island when the plague is rampaging through its ranks :-)


Fair enough point - especially with the plague factor - but this a game draw which is intended to help achieve balance in the game (something that we're still working on - as there is currently a Christian advantage). Wintering on the island was something the Ottomans considered but whether it would have been a viable option (even without the plague that broke out in Jonathan's game) is very debatable - especially with the extended supply lines (though there wasn't actually a Christian blockade, as Tom suggests,and I doubt such would have been viable either).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The discussion was about What If's. What if the moslems stayed? Certainly time creates opportunity. By then it was known a relief force was in preparation. Would not it have been the obvious thing to do, blockade the island? It's a logical move. Just the interdiction of even a third of the food stuffs necessary to support an army in the open in the winter would have been enough to encourage serious deprivation. Winter in the Med isn't all that cold, temps in the low 50's. But the interdiction of food would have been a serious problem for the moslems.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cundiff wrote:
The discussion was about What If's. What if the moslems stayed? Certainly time creates opportunity. By then it was known a relief force was in preparation. Would not it have been the obvious thing to do, blockade the island? It's a logical move. Just the interdiction of even a third of the food stuffs necessary to support an army in the open in the winter would have been enough to encourage serious deprivation. Winter in the Med isn't all that cold, temps in the low 50's. But the interdiction of food would have been a serious problem for the moslems.


There certainly was interdiction of Ottoman supplies during the siege, Tom. And this did have an impact which would almost certainly have made wintering very risky - especially when combined with the length of the supply line and the deteriorating weather. I was interpreting 'blockade' as something more substantial however and I doubt that could have been organised by the disparate Christian interests.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Lein
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Quote:
I was recently interviewed by Grant Kleinhenz from the PLAYER'S AID Blog who took a shine to BERLIN AIRLIFT. The interview was posted today. You can find it here


John,

I just had a chance to read this interview and it makes me wish I had an empty plate so I could jump back into this and work it to production. But soon because as you mentioned in the article we are working towards a fall Kickstarter campaign, and also as I intend to make this one of the playtest games I take with me to the CSW Expo next month. It was nice to see the original map set next to the one that Nils created, or made by magic or whatever it is he does artistically to produce such masterpieces.

Anyone with even a passing interest in the game should read the article as it gives a good sense of the bones of the game. The flesh and blood comes in the rich historical detail that is included in the game and which was further enhanced by the developer, Michel Boucher. John and Michel have been hard at work on the game since I played it at the Expo last year and it's come along nicely due to their cooperative efforts and I am very much looking forward to playing the latest iteration.

Randy Lein - LEGION WARGAMES

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  128 , 129 , 130 , 131 , 132  Next »  [149] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.